Sonnar 50mm f1.5 focus shift noticeable on film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used the Sonnar 50mm f1.5 on a M film body and can tell me if the focus shift is noticeable? 
I used to have this lens and loved it's small size and bokeh, but the focus shift on my digital M was too much so I decided to sell it.

Thanks in advance!

With regards to the modern Zeiss Zm 50mm f1.5 Sonnar, it depends both on when in production the lens was adjusted as well if the owner of the lens sent it in for recalibration of their choosing.  Apparently Zeiss early on adjusted focus for f2.8 .  Therefore the lens would front focus at f1.5 and back focus at f4.  By f5.6 and beyond, the depth of field would generally cover the back focus.  I believe it wasn't changed to adjusting the lens at f1.5 (although Zeiss may have implemented this, but many sent in their lens to precisely have that done and Zeiss welcomed those that wanted this optimization done at f1.5.  The most recent change going back a few years, is Zeiss compromised and adjusted focus for approx. f2 .  In my opinion, this worked best.  There is a small amount of front focus at f1.5, especially at shot subject distances and a smidgen of back focus at f2.8 but at both f1.5 and f2.8 with this latest adjustment for focus at f2, for most intents, its hardly noticeable.  I confirmed this with my own extensive testing of such a lens.  Others who have more recent lenses also confirmed this as well as did Zeiss.  My findings were done strictly on M digital as Jaap suggested, with film's thickness, it should mask even this small amount of front/back focus.

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA

@dickgillberg with all lenses that I use, I just shoot without thinking about any technicalities such as focus shift, but that's because all other lenses that I own this is not an issue so I never really think about it, but this lens does clearly have a focus shift issue (at least in digital), but given that I love its rendering and shoot film mostly nowadays, I've been thinking if I should buy it again. 

Thanks for everyone input so far, really appreciate it! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All of the RF type Sonnar lenses from the 1930's onwards also have distinct curvature of the focus field, which it is very easy to mistake for aperture shift, which although present, is less apparent than field curvature on the 50 Sonnars. I sold my 50 Summilux ASPH, as I  did not like its over-clinical rendering, purple fringing on digital due to high edge contrast and extreme sharpness of the focus tab, which together with an extremely stiff focus ring, literally made focussing a painful process (the next owner, also a forum member gave up on it as well for this reason). I then bought a 50mm ZM Sonnar, as I quite liked using my father's 1954 50/1.5 Opton-Sonnar on a Amedeo Muscelli Contax to M adapter ring, apart from the "wrong way round"  focusing. What you will excuse, as a charming feature on vintage lenses, which I  use quite a lot, can be just a plain irritation on a modern lens and that is what I found with the modern Sonnar. It was just too left field for an everyday lens. Oddly I have replaced it with another slightly left field lens, a 1999 year Summilux III 50/1.4 Special Edition LTM (used with its supplied LTM to M ring or on digital Leicas with 6 bit detectors, a coded Rayqual LTM to M ring). This lens does aperture shift a bit but as long as you have it shimmed to have a tiny bit of front focus at 2m and f1,4, the aperture shift is within the Dof of at least film. To my eyes it renders beautifully and I suppose this would apply to all of the e46 versions of the 50 Summilux III. I suspect the aperture shift would be more of a problem on the 47MP sensor of the SL2, with a much smaller CoC than the usual figure of 0.029mm for high resolution 35mm film like Ilford Ortho 80. 

Wilson

3 hours ago, dickgillberg said:

Just my input. I know what focus shift are but it must have to do with my work flow that I've not thought about that at all. Just take the picture with the aperture you think is best then focus. I can't understand how it's a problem.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works when using a rangefinder...

The other thing to remember when folks are discussing back and front focus, this refers to the location of the sharpest image inside the camera relative to the imaging medium and not the object being taken. 

Wilson

4 hours ago, dickgillberg said:

Just my input. I know what focus shift are but it must have to do with my work flow that I've not thought about that at all. Just take the picture with the aperture you think is best then focus. I can't understand how it's a problem.

That is only correct if you focus through the lens with working aperture.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

That is only correct if you focus through the lens with working aperture.

Ok, thanks. Then I’m confused and I might got the hole thing wrong. Do you mean that you can’t focus a lens properly that has some kind of focus shift with a rangefinder? Not even at a choosen aperture?

13 minutes ago, dickgillberg said:

Ok, thanks. Then I’m confused and I might got the hole thing wrong. Do you mean that you can’t focus a lens properly that has some kind of focus shift with a rangefinder? Not even at a choosen aperture?

Correct. That is why the f1 Noctilux is basically a "one trick pony" to take very shallow DOF shots, unless you carry a focus correction table with you. That is the reason some lenses with extreme aperture shift work better on cameras with liveview, like the M240. 

Wilson

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

....I then bought a 50mm ZM Sonnar, as I quite liked using my father's 1954 50/1.5 Opton-Sonnar on a Amedeo Muscelli Contax to M adapter ring, apart from the "wrong way round"  focusing. What you will excuse, as a charming feature on vintage lenses, which I  use quite a lot, can be just a plain irritation on a modern lens and that is what I found with the modern Sonnar.

I don't understand what you mean here about 'wrong way round focussing'. Surely the modern ZM Sonnar focusses in the standard way.

13 minutes ago, dickgillberg said:

Do you mean that you can’t focus a lens properly that has some kind of focus shift with a rangefinder? Not even at a choosen aperture?

Grossly speaking that is correct. The camera RF mechanism has no way of knowing what lens is mounted or whether it has focus shift and how much at what aperture. The RF has to assume that all lenses focus correctly at all apertures.

However, as mentioned above, a given lens with focus shift can have its connection to the camera (the focus cam) factory-adjusted for correct focus at a specific aperture.

And focus shift varies in amount from lens design to lens design - it is present in a Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar, but not the same as the shift in a Voiglander 35 f/1.4 Nokton.

As to adjustment, one can have that set for a given aperture one uses a lot (say, f/1.5) or for a compromise location (say, f/2, with minor shifts at f/1.5 and f/2.8). And always remember that at some aperture the focus shift goes away anyway, since the defocused rays from the outer edge of the glass (spherical aberration) are cut off.

6 minutes ago, sinjun said:

I don't understand what you mean here about 'wrong way round focussing'. Surely the modern ZM Sonnar focusses in the standard way.

Read wlaidlaw's sentence this way:

"I quite liked using my father's 1954 50/1.5 Opton-Sonnar on a Amedeo Muscelli Contax to M adapter ring, apart from the "wrong way round"  focusing."

It is the 1954 lens for Contax mount that has the "wrong-way round" focusing. Not the modern Sonnar.

But his next sentence implies the same thing applies to the ZM Sonnar.

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

...What you will excuse, as a charming feature on vintage lenses, which I  use quite a lot, can be just a plain irritation on a modern lens and that is what I found with the modern Sonnar. It was just too left field for an everyday lens.

44 minutes ago, dickgillberg said:

Correct. The camera does not look through the lens to focus. Thus the lens setting of the aperture cannot influence the focusing. Normally such a lens will focus correctly at the aperture that it is adjusted to. All other apertures will misfocus to a certain extent, but at smaller apertures DOF will hide the effect.

14 minutes ago, sinjun said:

Yes but older Contax mount Sonnars focus the other way infinity to near focus compared with Leica lenses. The Amedeo Muscelli adapters for Contax RF to Leica M, copy the focus direction of Contax RF cameras. I have my father's Contax IIA Colour Dial Camera with the 50/1.5 Opton Sonnar, which he bought on a business trip to Germany in I think 1954 or 55. He could never get used to the "wrong way round" focus either, being like me a dyed in the wool Leica RF user, so the camera is basically unused. When I  had a CLA done a few years ago on the Contax, the repairer said it was just like it had come out of the Stuttgart factory yesterday. 

Wilson

There are two types of Amedeo adapters for either Contax or Nikon: the original version indeed focuses in the "wrong way", whereas the helical of the most recent version for 50mm lenses turns in the "right (Leica) direction". The "recent" version has been available for at least a couple of years now and also has a focus tab.

I'm not affiliated with Amedeo, but he's a great guy, - who has now moved to the US,  but manages to keep making adapters in his Venezuelan workshop despite the situation his home country finds itself in - so here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Contax-Sonnar-50mm-rangefinder-to-Leica-M-M9-M240-adapter/133226303286?hash=item1f04e80f36:g:yVgAAOSwP~tW3VtL

Time to put that Opton Sonnar to good use perhaps 😉?

4 hours ago, Ecar said:

There are two types of Amedeo adapters for either Contax or Nikon: the original version indeed focuses in the "wrong way", whereas the helical of the most recent version for 50mm lenses turns in the "right (Leica) direction". The "recent" version has been available for at least a couple of years now and also has a focus tab.

I'm not affiliated with Amedeo, but he's a great guy, - who has now moved to the US,  but manages to keep making adapters in his Venezuelan workshop despite the situation his home country finds itself in - so here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Contax-Sonnar-50mm-rangefinder-to-Leica-M-M9-M240-adapter/133226303286?hash=item1f04e80f36:g:yVgAAOSwP~tW3VtL

Time to put that Opton Sonnar to good use perhaps 😉?

Mine was I think the first M mount adapter Amedeo made, quite a long time ago, his earlier ones being LTM. I have so many classic and modern Leica lenses in 50mm, LTM, M, R and L, that I really don't need to rob my Contax IIa of its lens. I also have a very nice 1953 LTM Canon Serenar "Hiroshi" Sonnar clone 5cm/f1.8, the all chrome one with the infinity lock, that I think is at least as good as my 1950's Leica offerings and has the advantage of hard coating, so there is not a mark on the front element. I bought it for a Leotax, which I acquired, as it came with three of the superb Leotax spring loaded wind on spools. I am using two of these in my IIIa and Reid and Sigrist Model 3 Mk.2 (a IIIb clone). They are so much easier to use than the Leica spools - no more broken finger nails! I was going to sell on the Leotax which in total cost me less than the two spare and much sought-after Leotax spools would have cost but it was so nice, I decided to keep it. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aaron Daniel
      Hi everyone, I just purchased my first cinema style lens for the SL2-S and have just done a quick review and first impressions about it here  I know some users have wondered how non-Leica lenses perform on this body, so I thought this could add to the literature. I have to say that this lens has been a pleasure to use and edit from– the wide angle is insanely fun to use!
      However, and I guess I don't really touch on this in the video, I don't think this is a normal walk-around lens like most Leica lenses are intended for. Even the bigger SL lenses can seem normal to walk around with. Because of the gears and almost intimidating appearance, I don't believe this fun wide-angle would be all that fun to roam the streets with.
      This all being said, I can see this being a fun option for small productions and wedding/event use!
      Sidenote– You may also notice some wobbling/warping on the sides of the video images, and I believe this is because the SL2-S currently does not properly accommodate for a 20mm focal length with IBIS. Throughout this video I used the 21mm option, so the weird warping becomes apparent when moving a lot
      Cheers  

• By dritz
      Original owner of a mint-condition 30-90-S.  Works as it should. Leica upgraded AF in 2018 and barely used since then. Time to get this a new home.  Includes:
      lens caps original box outer box lens bag manual AF repair paperwork I think it's priced to sell. Wire transfer only please, plus shipping + insurance (charged at actual cost). Me and the lens located in Seattle, USA.  I will be selling some other similar mint, new-AF lenses shortly.  So much gear to go (contact me and we can arrange a video call to see).
      Twelve High resolution pictures here.
      You may find me on that auction site as dritz40 if you wish more background.
    • By jakontil
      Kentmere 400 @ box speed

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By gwpics
      This was taken before the coronavirus problems we now all have.
      Leica M7 + Fuji Neopan T400CN film commercially processed and home scanned.
      Gerry

• By pptmstr
      Hello everyone, here's my review of the new Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar 35mm f/2 FUNLEADER conversion to Leica M.
      This is my first review here so I am not used to the technicalities of posting, please forgive me if I readjust things after I post.
      FUNLEADER Contax G35 to Leica M Conversions

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! I have included the 7artisans 35mm f/1.4 M and the Voigtlander VM 40mm f/1.2, the only lenses in the 35mm zone I own.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Disclaimers:
      1. none of the lens makers / converters have been involved in these tests and I have personally purchased all 3 lenses, none of them have been provided.
      2. the FUNLEADER link above contains an affiliate link with a code that will get you a 5% discount (used to be 15%, I hope they bring that back). If you purchase using the link above FUNLEADER says I will receive 10%.
      3. all opinions expressed here are my own and, just like with anything in life (especially photography equipment!), you may have a different one.
      A few bullet points about the tests:
      - done on my Leica M-P typ 240
      - done on a tripod with a 2 second timer to hopefully dampen most vibrations
      - no filters or hoods were used and lenses were extremely clean
      - captured at M-P's base ISO: 200 (with the exception of a few frames captured at 1.2 and 1.4 because 1/4000 was too slow to keep equal exposures so I set the ISO to PULL 100)
      - exposure was manual and the exposure time was adjusted accordingly with every aperture change (generally 2/3 stop) in order to hopefully maintain an even exposure between the samples
      - white balance was on AUTO
      - all focus was EXTREMELY CAREFULLY done using LIVE VIEW at f/2 for each lens, using both the focus peaking and my own eyes to make sure I get the best possible focus
      - focus was redone with every lens change
      - the 40mm was repositioned so that the main subject filled roughly the same size in the photos (as much as possible, the infinity tests obviously show the difference in focal length)
      - most tests were taken all all apertures but since this ended up requiring so much work I only included up to f/8, to be honest I don't think anything past that is relevant
      - all samples processed in Capture 1 PRO with the default output sharpening for screen (any image processor will apply some sort of sharpening from DNG to JPG)
      - I am sharing a Google Drive folder with all DNGs, JPGs, comparisons and misc images, all full size. Please check them out and use them for free, a credit would be nice if you end up posting them. 
      PART 1 / 5
      A morsel of history: if you're reading this you most likely know what this lens is, otherwise this info can be easily found online.
      The G35/2 is supposed to be the "lesser performer" of the Contax G suite, the internet is funny like that, some person deemed it once as not being as stellar as the G45/2 (which is whispered to be one of the best lenses in 35mm photography history) and the internet has taken that and transformed it into "not a good lens" kind of rumour. I am here to prove otherwise.
      Here's a G35 / G45 specs comparison:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! This 35 together with the Hologon 16mm are the only ones I do not own in G mount. I have shot all the other ones (21/2.8, 28/2.8, 45/2, 90/2.8) on my Contax G2 and adapted on my Sony A7R3 with a cheap Ulata adapter. They are sharp, very sharp wide open. And so light.
      Build quality: without further ado, I think FUNLEADER and Mr. Ding have done an amazing job here: the conversion is incredible, so tiny and lovely, with a great weight and feel. The focus action is nice and smooth and the little focus tab suits the lens. The black paint version is really beautiful, I have always been a black paint / lacquer fan, hence my M-P. This version will get patina with use (unless you're Lenny Kravitz and give it a good rub to look well used). The "gold" version has lovely sharp black engravings and a black focus tab. The focus tabs are really nice, placed at the perfect position where, when pointed straight downwards, the lenses focus at 4 feet / 1.2 meters. I also purchased a "gold" helicoid as I am planning to do a conversion myself. The "gold" helicoid feels like brass and it's a bit of a fingerprint magnet.
      The helicoid has "MR. DING" engraved on the mount. Pretty cool. I did a bit of digging and "Mr. Ding" is their master craftsman, maybe having been part of MGR Production. They are also behind the Bresson Viewfinder magnifier, which I happen to have on my M-P and love.
      I would love to find out more about Mr. Ding, if anyone has info please do share.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! The weight of the helicoid is 206g / 7.26oz and the whole lens is 266g / 9.38g

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! The lens did have a plastic ring glued on the front, on top of the original Carl Zeiss from markings, but I removed it easily and left no marks. Sorry Mr. Ding, I prefer the original Carl Zeiss engravings.
      The original lens hood of the G35 / G45 fits nicely, but I have the champagne version and I personally don't think it works with either the black or the gold version. I might spray paint it with a glossy enamel.
      Honestly, it looks amazing on the M-P. It is a gem of a little lens and a great performer.
      Customer service: excellent, very responsive, I had quite a few questions for them and they replied very quickly.
      Packing: excellent, pragmatic, not fancy.
      Shipping: wowsers, the lens was in my hand in Vancouver BC Canada in 6 days, dayum!

PART 2 / 5: colour, focal length, sharpness close and mid distance
      Two notes about colour and focal length:
      - colour - the G35/2 renders the most accurate and neutral colours, next is the VM 40/1.2, while the 7artisans 35/1.4 M renders quite warm
      - focal length - the G35/2 is a little wider than the 7artisans 35/1.4 M, I wonder what their real focal lengths are. Please do share if you happen to know.
      Sharpness: the G35/2 is very sharp wide open, it nearly matches the VM 40/1.2 at f2, actually honestly we are splitting hairs between the G35/2 and VM 40/1.2. Keep in mind that the VM starts at 1.2, so from a lens design pov it has a lot of room to be sharp at f2. It's quite a feat how consistent the G35/2 is all the way up to the widest apertures. The G35/2 is sharper than the 7artisans 35/1.4 M at every aperture. I was surprised as well. In all honestly, I really love the 7artisans lens, it has a really nice 3d pop and the built is absolutely amazing.
      Check out these 100%s of this starling at f2! I used live view, there's no way to nail that in the viewfinder patch, I also took a bunch of shots and these were the best 4, maybe out of 12 or so.
      100%

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! full images for context

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! I have done a few test sessions but not included all here (so much to process and compare), so here are a few. Before every comparison chart you will see a half size G35/2 image at f2, for no reason really other than to show you what the whole scene looked like.
      Session 1 close:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 1 mid distance:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 4 close:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 4 mid distance:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 5 close:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 6 close:

PART 3 / 5: sharpness at infinity
      Session 3 infinity (center and corner):

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 7 infinity (center and corner):

PART 4 / 5: bokeh and conclusion
      Session 1 mid distance:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 2 mid distance:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Session 6 close:

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Vignetting: yea a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary at large apertures. See for yourself.

Focus shift: I did not test for it, but from my walks it seems to be fine.

CONCLUSION:
      The Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar 35mm f/2 is a gem. Coming from great heritage, it is now encased in an amazing conversion from FUNLEADER for our Leicas. The G35/2 is an honest lens, you won't find clinical sharpness here, but since you're reading this you're probably not looking for that, but for the resurrection of a highly underrated Carl Zeiss optic. The G35/2 renders the world gently with neutral colour rendition, pleasant bokeh and a sprinkle of pop. The tiny form has a great weight and feel and it simply looks incredible on a Leica. The black paint version is shiny and will brass while the "gold" version has lovely sharp black engravings (bit of a fingerprint magnet though). I honestly look at my camera sitting on my desk now and hear the whispers: "take me out and make photographs". Well done FUNLEADER and Mr. Ding, hat's off to you.
      Just like the original little piece of history it now protects and focuses, the FUNLEADER conversion will also be remembered as a gem amongst the connoisseurs.
      FUNLEADER Contax G35 to Leica M Conversions
      I hope you enjoy the test results, please let me know if you have any thoughts, suggestions and questions.
      Here is the Google Drive folder:
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-mgIUEIScjebkdNY-GAouTlJE3FTCrDy
      I am leaving you with a bunch of samples, enjoy.

PART 5 / 5 samples
      All the following samples are just snaps from my walks and I barely spent a minute on some of them in C1
      f2

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! f5.6

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! f8

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! f2

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! f2

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! f5.6

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! f4 (i think)

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Cheers!