Thoughts on the 24-90 f2.8-4?

PaulJS

It’s optically the best performer in terms of sharpness corner to corner of all the FF 24-70/2.8 zoom lenses (Nikon Z 24-70/2.8 S, Sony FE 24-70/2.8 GM).  See here for some comparisons against the Sony zoom, https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-x8Mwmw/, and keep in mind that the SL pictures were taken on the 24 MPx SL1 there.  I can do the VE 24-90 on the 47 MPx SL2 now and compare it against the Sony on the α7R III in order to equalize more or less the pixel playing field.  It will beat the GM Sony lens by a mile for corner to corner sharpness at the largest possible equal aperture across the range, is my guess. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulJS said:

What do you guys think of the 24-70 f2.8-4?   

You mean 24-90. I think it’s heavy and big, even before it telescopes when zooming.  But not as big and heavy as a bunch of primes in the same range. A great, weather sealed, one lens solution.  But I would still like to see a smaller zoom series, even if slower and/or covering fewer focal lengths.  Probably won’t see it, though, at least not Leica branded.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

I love how it renders, but in terms of sharpness it's on par with my Sony 24-105/4.

Agreed. The Sony 24-105 is great. And the new Nikon Z24-70, Canon, Fuji etc, are all *sharp* wide open nowadays. I notice little difference in sharpness between the top mirrorless standard zooms. Not enough to matter any way.

The 24-90 draws in a way I particularly like. It's got little CA and a great range. I think it's the best standard zoom on the market but not because of its sharpness.

Gordon

• Like 2