Leica R-Only with Two or Three Cam SL2

corganb

3 hours ago, corganb said:

Do any of the Leica gurus know if its at all possible to use an R-Only Summicron with the SL2 Leicaflex camera body? Any adapters or modifications available in the modern era?

The bayonet was designed on purpose to not fit on a Leicaflex.

It would be easier and probably cheaper to sell it and buy a 3 cam version. 

Edited by Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In general:

2-cam works for Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL and Leicaflex SL2

3-cam works for Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL,  Leicaflex SL2 and Leica R cameras

R-only, will not fit Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL or Leicaflex SL2, only to be used on Leica R cameras.

Three cam lenses are the "best" in terms of usabillity if you have both Leicaflex and Leica R.

For digital it does not matter althought the later ROM-models are nice to have because also focal lenght information is transfered (for Leica SL and SL2)

8 hours ago, mmx_2 said:

In general:

R-only, will not fit Leicaflex, Leicaflex SL or Leicaflex SL2, only to be used on Leica R cameras.

Three cam lenses are the "best" in terms of usabillity if you have both Leicaflex and Leica R.

For digital it does not matter althought the later ROM-models are nice to have because also focal lenght information is transfered (for Leica SL and SL2)

Good summary. Some additional notes: 

1-cam works for all three Leicaflex, but with only stop-down metering for SL and SL2. 

Some 3-cam lenses (like R24/2.8 and R15/3.5 in my lens kit) only work on SL2 or later R bodies due to mirror interference on the Leicaflex and Leicaflex SL; the SL2 and later bodies had revised mirror actuation to solve this issue. I seem to recall that the R19/2.8 v2 is not compatible with Leicaflex and Leicaflex SL bodies as well, but I don't have access to one of them to test.

R ROM-equpped lenses transfer data to Leica CL/T/TL/TL2, and Leica SL/SL2 automatically only when used with the R Adapter L. For R Adapter M stacked onto M Adapter L, you have to choose the suitable R lens profile and focal length information is not sensed if you're using an R zoom lens. (It's a question mark to me with regard to use with third party mount adapters ... I don't know that the R lens profiles are available with any of them, and I don't know whether the data is actually transferred to the raw files even if they are.)

G

• Like 1

One more additional note: The 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon R lens has no aperture coupling, but has vestigial cams which enable it to be use on R cameras, as well as Leicaflex SL and SL2, but not the original Leicaflex. On R cameras, it can be used in aperture priority or manual exposure modes. (It has its own aperture stop down lever, which you operate after composition in the viewfinder, and before making the exposure.) In cases where it is necessary to select a lens manually from a menu (for example using a Leica R-M adapter) this lens doesn't have a menu entry, for good reasons. I find selecting a conventional 28/2.8 menu entry is the best you can do, and seems to work OK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, ramarren said:

R ROM-equiped lenses transfer data to Leica CL/T/TL/TL2, and Leica SL/SL2 automatically only when used with the R Adapter L.

Except for the ROM x2 converter, At least it doesn't pass through the focal length x2 on the SL, which it did on the R8/R9 DMR.

I don't know if it does on the new SL2.

John

3 hours ago, jpattison said:

Except for the ROM x2 converter, At least it doesn't pass through the focal length x2 on the SL, which it did on the R8/R9 DMR.

I don't know if it does on the new SL2.

John

No it doesn’t. 

But you can access the R lenses list and choose an equivalent lens in the list. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, mmx_2 said:

In general:

In general, yes.  However:

Some 2- and 3-cam lenses protrude deeper into the mirror box than the Leicaflex and SL permit and have a Leicaflex SL2-compatible flange, and will not fit the earlier bodies.

Some R-only lenses (the 50 'cron I had for example) were equipped with a Leicaflex-compatible bayonet and could be used on Leicaflexes with stop-down metering (SL and SL2) or without coupled metering (Leicaflex).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello from Poland. Sorry for my English. I have elmarit r 28/2,8 3cam and body SL2 sometimes I rewind the film to the next frame the mirror goes up.  there is no rule.  5.6 8.11.  in both bodies (I have 2 x sl2) damaged or not fit ???  thank you for the advice.