Using a Canon EF lenses on SL frugally

SonomaBear

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great cheap ($18) adapter with two major caveats...

First: this is manual focus only.

Second: you must shoot with wide open aperture

After saving many hundreds of dollars by NOT buying the German lens adapter, this is a great find!  Most Canon EF lenses are very good wide open. The manual focusing on my Leica SL is perfection. Using my Canon 85mm f1.8 for portraits on the SL is a real improvement over using it on my Canon R mirrorless.

Sure, the Leica Summicron SL 90 would be better but it is many thousands of dollars!

If you have a TL format camera (Leica, Sigma, Panasonic) and Canon lenses — buy this!

On eBay search for EOS-L/T Adapter For Canon EOS EF Lens To Leica LT/SL Type 701 Mirrorless Camera

Edited by SonomaBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SonomaBear said:

Great cheap ($18) adapter with two major caveats...

First: this is manual focus only.

Second: you must shoot with wide open aperture

After saving many hundreds of dollars by NOT buying the German lens adapter, this is a great find!  Most Canon EF lenses are very good wide open. The manual focusing on my Leica SL is perfection. Using my Canon 85mm f1.8 for portraits on the SL is a real improvement over using it on my Canon R mirrorless.

Sure, the Leica Summicron SL 90 would be better but it is many thousands of dollars!

If you have a TL format camera (Leica, Sigma, Panasonic) and Canon lenses — buy this!

On eBay search for EOS-L/T Adapter For Canon EOS EF Lens To Leica LT/SL Type 701 Mirrorless Camera

Perhaps you can post some photos you shot with this combination as well?

14 hours ago, frame-it said:

Perhaps you can post some photos you shot with this combination as well?

The enclosed are in no way good images -- just proofs-of-concept during this lousy weather.

The neighbor's palm tree through the fog was taken with a Canon 70-200 2.8L wide open - manually focused.  Lousy shot but the SL focus assist works perfectly.  I normally use Leica M lenses, so I am used to manual focus and have one the 4 "Users" set for manual everything.

The second one just shows that the EF 85 1.8 wide open can isolate the white capped water bottle.  Shallow DoF works so well with the SL.

Sorry for the lousy images...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by SonomaBear
  • Like 2

UPDATE:  Canon lenses using STF focusing motors CAN NOT be used with this adapter.  Those lenses rely upon power to be focussed, even manually.  Lenses using the USM and Micro-Motor focussing work well.

Also note that any IS (Image Stabilization) will not be active for the same reason: lack of power.

After searching for a good 21mm Elmarit, I tried my old Canon EF 20 2.8 to use on my SL as if it were a M lens... 

• Like 1

I love the combo of my 85/1.2 and SL

• Like 5

10 hours ago, djinn415 said:

Will this adapter work with the Canon EF TS-E Tilt Shift lenses?

Probably.  I don't believe that TS lenses require the camera's power for anything.  They are manual focus, I believe.  And manual aperture?

The SL EVF would be wonderful to use with the TS lens work!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m9photo said:

Novoflex

For the 85 1.2 the Novoflex might well be the best solution.   When I rent this lens, I often use f1.4 on DSLR but mostly 1.2 on EOS R.  For SL, I'd want the ability to adjust aperture and to try AF!  AF of the R is now (latest firmware) great for "eye" focus.  I only have the Sigma 45mm to try AF on the SL.  Maybe I'll rent a Summicron-SL 75!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone use the Altson Canon EF-L adapter?  I have bought one and it seems to work very well, transferring all exposure, auto focus, EXIF data etc.  I have only taken a couple of shots and wondered just safe it is on my new SL2-S?  Any response very much appreciated.

Does anyone use the Altson Canon EF-L adapter?  I have bought one and it seems to work very well, transferring all exposure, auto focus, EXIF data etc.  I have only taken a couple of shots and wondered just safe it is on my new SL2-S?  Any response very much appreciated.

A link to the product...  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154130300837?hash=item23e2e1bfa5:g:Sf4AAOSweQ9giiHR&frcectupt=true

9 hours ago, humble said:

有人使用 Altson Canon EF-L 适配器吗?我买了一个,它似乎工作得很好,可以传输所有曝光、自动对焦、EXIF 数据等。我只拍了几张照片,想知道它在我的新 SL2-S 上是否安全?非常感谢任何回应。

产品链接...  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154130300837?hash=item23e2e1bfa5:g:Sf4AAOSweQ9giiHR&frectupt=true

I'm using the second generation    with EF 50 1.2L

10 hours ago, humble said:

有人使用 Altson Canon EF-L 适配器吗?我买了一个,它似乎工作得很好,可以传输所有曝光、自动对焦、EXIF 数据等。我只拍了几张照片,想知道它在我的新 SL2-S 上是否安全?非常感谢任何回应。

I saw someone on Twitter because of contact problems, the Panasonic S1 could not autofocus and lost the official warranty......

Just received my new SL2-s — All my Canon glass works so much better with SL2-s and Sigma MC-21

I am selling my Novoflex EF-SL adapter since the SL’s new owner has no Canon lenses…. Send me an IM