Lightroom external drive question

hockey44

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day,

Please forgive this "stupid" question-- but i am stumped.  I have about 1tb of photos in LR6 (Leica M240 and Q2).  I have been 'lazy' and the images were stored on my MacBook Pro (and multiple backups).  I finally bought a RAID drive and large additional back-up.  I have copied my "main image library" (which has all my LR6 folders) to the RAID (which I can see as well).  However, when I go to LR6 on my MacBook and click "+" on the folders and select the connected  RAID it sees the copied "Main Image library" however I don't seem to be able to access the photos.  (I have NOT deleted any of the photos yet from the laptop).

I had assumed the LR6 catalog will remain on the laptop and by going to "Folder" and adding the RAID it would see the photos?  I did not "Move" the photos using LR but rather manually simply copied this large library in multiple steps so it would not get hung up as I have read can happen sometimes when trying to move large libraries.

I should add, within my "Main Image library" the subfolders are numeric (1000 series 2015, 2000+ 2016 etc.).  It it helps I could send a screen shot as I can see the hierarchy of the folders but they are greyed out -- so I can see there must be some connectivity but not sure why the photos aren't accessible?  Do I need to create Smart Profiles (I have not)?  Do I need to wait for some time to allow the entire 1tb of photos to load?

I have lots of photos to download and need to remove the existing folders (hence the external RAID) but stuck.  Watched a few videos but it isn't clicking for me.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sorry small follow-up as I just tried again after waiting sometime:

Photos (50k) appear on laptop (while I am in the new RAID image folder) and LR6 asking me to "import" in the "ADD" section to "My catalog"

I have not clicked Create Smart Preview.

Do I need to import all these photos to "My catalog" (is this creating a catalog on the RAID) as I previously only copied all the actual photos themselves.  Perhaps LR is "asking" to add these to a catalog on the RAID?  But I thought the catalog remains with LR6 on my laptop and simply "finds" the photos in the folder on the Raid.

Thanks again

I don't have a RAID system, but the principle is similar. LR needs to add the contents of your new external hard drive to its main catalogue, by importing the images. It will take time. LR will only find your new photos if you show it where they are. It is a basic principle of the software. As you moved the files independently, they will still show up with a ? mark in your catalogue until you tell LR where the files have gone.

Hi David, 
Thanks for your reply.  Do I need to rename the original "parent folder" (Main photo library-- which holds all my Leica individual photos).  I get a grey out on the photos with a message "there appears to be a duplicate photo in the catalog" .  Could this explain why the hierarchy is greyed out (LR sees photos still on MacBook Pro and also same names catalog on Raid drive?  Assuming this is the problem-- LR is 'confused' would I still be 'Adding" the photos to "My Catalog"?  What I don't understand is why I would need to import the photos again since they are there-- it is the 'pointer' I think is my issue,  by importing again will this be solved?

Any thoughts on Smart previews?

When you import under the Add is the entire large file (25-50mb each) actually imported (hopefully not-- already there) or simply a link telling LR this is where the photo is?
Sorry for the mundae questions, but I am very nervous about messing this up.

Thanks

Ed

Ed, no need to rename your folder. If you do, your backup regime will work overtime correcting its records.

Do not delete anything until you fully understand your system and management procedures. There are excellent videos online. Look for those by Julienne Kost..

I still use LR6. So my experience is related to that version. File management hasn't changed much over time.

The golden rule is to handle all file management within Lightroom. Otherwise you are playing catchup with a time penalty. Hope this helps you.

If a folder or files are greyed out, the most likely cause is that the external source is off-line.

Edited by wda

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.  I am on my laptop with RAID connected having 'chosen' the copy I made of the nearly 1tb of my "main image library" (not the laptop library).  I can see a grey-out of the full hierarchy and photos.  LR6 is asking me to "import" and on the top of the page it is on the "ADD" function and asking "add photos to catalog without moving them".

So I posit, do I simply click and import all? Is this simply providing a 'pointer' for LR6 to then look for the photos in the already existing new Raid library?

I guess- my naïveté would have thought that by "+" adding folder and pointing LR6 to the new RAID it would use the existing catalog on my laptop (.lrcat) and then find the new identical photos, and open "Library" and not in the "Add" (at the top of the page).  Then I would use LR6 AND the library on the RAID with the goal to have all my photos going forward on the external drive.

I have the "Don't import suspected duplicates" ticked.  But I do not have "Build smart previews" ticked nor "Add to collection".  Is that correct?
Thanks,

Ed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, hockey44 said:

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.  I am on my laptop with RAID connected having 'chosen' the copy I made of the nearly 1tb of my "main image library" (not the laptop library).  I can see a grey-out of the full hierarchy and photos. (Does it say 'Offline' on the right side?)  LR6 is asking me to "import" and on the top of the page it is on the "ADD" function and asking "add photos to catalog without moving them". (Yes, Add the data to your LR catalogue without moving the files)

So I posit, do I simply click and import all?  (Yes) Is this simply providing a 'pointer' for LR6 to then look for the photos in the already existing new Raid library? (Once in the catalogue, the files will be treated like all other image files)

I guess- my naïveté would have thought that by "+" adding folder and pointing LR6 to the new RAID it would use the existing catalog on my laptop (.lrcat) and then find the new identical photos, and open "Library" and not in the "Add" (at the top of the page).  Then I would use LR6 AND the library on the RAID with the goal to have all my photos going forward on the external drive.

I have the "Don't import suspected duplicates" ticked.  (If you do that, no pictures will be imported because your originals on your laptop will be considered duplicates) But I do not have "Build smart previews" ticked nor "Add to collection".  Is that correct? (I would guess so. You can create smart views at your leisure. Collections is a separate topic and not relevant to this update operation)
Thanks,

Ed

Ed, Se my notes above. Do not delete your laptop files until your RAID has built backup copies of your main library on RAID. I do not use RAID. But I have four other external HDs which I rotate on a monthly basis and store out of use HDs off-site. Your main library will be based outside your computer. Your primary and secondary backups should be off-site too if that is possible for you.

Hope this is clear and helps you. Remember always move files from within Lightroom. It will save you a lot of frustration and time.

1 hour ago, hockey44 said:

Hi David,

On the top it is simply "Add" with an arrow "to my catalog".  I didn't see anything about "offline".  Should I still proceed (unchecking the "don't import suspected duplicates").

Thanks David,
Ed

Ed,

Yes go ahead. It wii tell you if your external drive is offline. It would appear in the left panel where your drives and folders are listed.

David

Hi David,

I promise this will be my last pestering for your gracious help. I am attaching a few images as I want to be sure to 'connect' to the correct folder.

One image is how my MacBook Pro LR6 is set up in terms of hierarchy.

Then I am sending the way the RAID is set up-- you can see one image with parent folder as "Main Image Library" and the next I click on the parent and all the individual subfolders appear (starting with my 1000 series....).

My question is should I be selecting the parent "Main Image" on the RAID or click on the Main Image and it selects all the subfolders?
Many thanks

Ed

final image on next message-- limit of .5mb

Screen 1 LR laptop Screen 2 Raid Parent

5 minutes ago, hockey44 said:

David,  I got stopped out on 'size'  But the final image was on the RAID and I clicked on "main image library" and all the individual subfolders open.  thanks Ed

Ed, I am pleased it works for you. Does your RAID  provide you with both your new working library and a complete backup? What do you intend doing with your original files on your laptop since they will become dated and essentially superfluous once your new RAID system is settled and has proved to be workable and reliable?

Hi David,

I have not hit "import" yet as I was awaiting your thoughts on IF I simply select "main image library" (parent folder) on the RAID2 and let 'er rip or do I click on Main Image and it then generates all the subfolders which I select?

My plan is to remove the photos from the laptop in steps (I have 3 years on their now and want to start by taking the oldest year off first, and eventually only use the laptop to use LR but have the library on the RAID2 plus multiple backups.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Hello Ed,

I am sorry, but I am not familiar with Apple terminology. But it should be very similar to Windows as far as adding drives to your LR catalogue. Assuming LR recognizes your RAID file structure, I would import one folder only initially to prove its behaviour is what you want. Then continue to incorporate the entire pictures content. Your catalogue will eventually contain and show two copies of all of your picture files, albeit in separate places. This will be confusing at first because you must be clear in your mind which set of files you are processing. Once you are completely happy with the new RAID setup, you can simply remove the old files which reside on your laptop, from the LR catalogue, even though they might still exist on your laptop. That would simplify LR file management for you. However, if you want LR to keep track of the internal files, progressively delete them through LR. I hope that makes sense.