SL2 - fastest image transfer to iPad

jmm1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my quest to find a fast way to transfer images from theSL2 to my iPad - I found this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd6B6wZoy3M

BUT better still - connecting the SL2 (mass storage) directly to the iPad via a USB-C cable results in a further astonishing transfer speed - ie about 5 times faster thaan WiFi!

Looks like goodbye FOTOS. Besides I discovered a bug in the current version of FOTOS - it won't work if there are 2 SD cards in the camera.

The cable is great as I always have it to charge the camera and devices anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes, I discovered the same independently just a few minutes ago. Camera in mass storage mode, connected to iPad via USB-C, images show in the Files app and can be shared directly into Lightroom. I could not figure out how to transfer the images using wifi (which was probably because I had two SD cards in the camera, as you say above). My ideal solution would be if the camera could tether with Lightroom on the iPad via the USB-C cable, just like the X1D does with Phocus. For the moment, I view Fotos as a live view remote release/control solution and don't really understand what else it is good for (but I have spent no more than 15 minutes with it so far, so perhaps I am missing something). But the mass storage solution is already quite neat for a quick review of images when shooting on location.

• Like 1

That was the 1st question I asked about - Fotos for iPad that it should be tethered - but Leica came back blaming APPLE - but as you also correctly put it - Hasselblad managed to do it anyway.

Wifi may be convenient for one or 2 images but for large FF files - cable is the best option - the speed is incredible.

Fotos really has limited use as a remote controller - but for $82/year??

It would be good if it was possible to have the camera permanently set for Mass storage but it seems to slip back to PTP all the time.

• Like 1

Fotos doesn't cost $82 a year, if you can avoid all the annoying places where they try to sign you up.  I also use it primarily as a remote controller with touch AF.  When I have a relatively full chip (> 1000 images) it is a bit slow to get started, but the connection is pretty solid now.  Another annoying thing is that it always comes up in P mode.  You have to select an A to get into A mode, then an S to get into M mode.  I would prefer to have it come up in whatever the camera was doing before it connected.  And if you just connected to check something (say, to give it the correct local time), you have to undo those changes on returning control to the camera  (I'm not 100% sure the last gripe is still correct in 2.0)   

Unfortunately in Aust it costs $82 for the Fotos for iPad, and the 2 card bug is still there in ver 2.0.1.  Anyway now that I have the transfer option organised I just use the free iPhone  version of Fotos as the remote.

Edited by jmm1

Not sure what version of Fotos you use on iPad, I use the latest available from the App Store, but for remote control and file transfer you do not need to sign up and sign in to Pro,  both functions are working for free. The Pro enables video control of the connected camera. 

NOTE: This also works magically on your iPhone. Just buy the Lightning to USB adapter and you are gold.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Interesting - I can't get that to work and I am using an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable..  ios 13.2.3.

I have also enabled USB accessories in FaceID...

...... and it appears that not all cables are the same when it comes to Data.

An original Apple USB-C > C cable (maybe not meant for data??) was slower than a Philips USB-C>C cable

Edited by jmm1

The Apple SD reader is faster but I find it more convenient using the cable as it is there anyway for power, etc.

transfer speed seems  to be dependent on cable type and and quality.  

The LR Mobile imports also give you larger previews which makes the selection process nicer.

I’m using the SL2, with which I tend to shoot far more frames than any camera I’ve owned in the last 15 years, as an opportunity to revisit my workflow. I’m trying to make it 100% mobile-based, using the desktop as a “secondary” workstation (this is usually the case these days—I’m rarely at my desk!) and of course for super detailed color work and printing. I’ll write it up if there is interest.

The fastest way to transfer images from the SL2 to an iPad is either a USB-C cable or a USB-C SD UHS II reader. USB-C is, as others state, significantly faster than a Wi-Fi connection. Fotos is useful as a remote.

• Like 1