LUF Admin

Capture One 20: New Tools & Features, Improved Workflow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Phase One today introduces Capture One 20, a new version of its image editing software. According to the manufacturer, the feedback of the users played the most important role in the further development. The improvements include…
  • new and improved editing tools,
  • Workflow simplifications with a great effect and
  • support for more cameras

As with previous versions, Capture One 20 can be purchased both as a perpetual license or as subscription software. The unlimited full version costs 349 €, the subscription starts at 18 € per month. Upgrades from previous versions start at 169 €.

Capture One 20 for Sony and Capture One 20 Fujifilm, which only support the RAW files of the respective camera manufacturers, cost 149 € as full version, or 9 € as subscription.

» Capture One 20 in the Online Store

» Download trial version

New features in Capture One 20

The most important improvements compared to the previous version are...

• a new basic color editor, with which colors can be easily selected and edited within the image.
  • a revised HDR tool, 
  • an easy-to-use tool for cropping images
  • Improved noise reduction

The improvements in detail:

New Basic Color Editor

The palette for color editing has been completely reworked, among others:

• There are now eight instead of six color ranges that can be edited individually
  • The changes in this palette can now be applied to layers.
  • The functions can be applied directly in the image via "Click & Drag": Clicking marks a certain color, by dragging in different directions, e.g. hue, saturation and brightness are changed

Enhanced HDR tool

Two additional sliders for black and white allow even finer processing of the image contrast. For even more precise control, you can still use gradation curves.

Improved noise reduction

The noise reduction process has been revised to better preserve colors, details and patterns. The effect of the sliders is now more visible in the image.

Improved cropping of images

Image trimming is much easier with Capture One 20 and is oriented to other programs:

• Grabs at the edges of the crop area.
  • Centred cropping with ALT key
  • Shift key preserves the aspect ratio
  • Free image rotation by Cmd/Ctrl key or by moving the cursor out of the crop area

Capture One 20 Workflow Improvement

The tool area on the left side of the screen is now divided into two areas, one of which is fixed at the top and the other freely scrollable. Palettes can be moved from one to the other area depending on your preferences in order to optimize the personal workflow.

Another detail that will be helpful when processing image batches: Capture One 20 can be configured to move to the next image after marking images.

It is now possible to apply processing layers from one image to others without replacing existing layers.

Finally new cameras are now supported, for example:

• Leica V-LUX 5
  • Olympus E-M5 III
  • Canon EOS M6 II
  • Lumix S1H
  • Nikon Z50
  • Generic GoPro RAW support

Here is a full list with all Capture One 20 changes and improvements.

» Capture One 20 Online Store

» Download test version

Bought this update at the social price of 20% off now offered at 30% off. All requests for a refund have been ignored. The license key provided on my invoice does not work and the helpdesk just refers me to unhelpful website which tells me to buy the upgrade I have already paid for. I am less than impressed by their support.

Hi Malcolm,

it's confusing – and Phase One tries to explain how this works here:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004099138-How-to-use-your-Capture-One-20-pre-order-code

In short: You didn't receive a license code but a voucher code. You can now go to the store, order the upgrade, enter the voucher code and it will give you a 100% discount.

Andreas

Found the page that they failed to tell me about and all ok now. Capture One need to improve their support. I have wasted 2 hours on this problem which you solved in 2 minutes,

Thank you for your help.

20 minutes ago, LUF Admin said:

Hi Malcolm,

it's confusing – and Phase One tries to explain how this works here:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004099138-How-to-use-your-Capture-One-20-pre-order-code

In short: You didn't receive a license code but a voucher code. You can now go to the store, order the upgrade, enter the voucher code and it will give you a 100% discount.

Andreas

i have exactly the same problem. when you put the voucher in you get told it does not exist. mailed them 4 times and received the same step by step walkthrough from an automated answering service. impossible to actually get someone to sort it out... lightroom the other day had a live help desk who sorted a problem out while online. @#%$ irritated by this.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Phase One today introduces Capture One 20, a new version of its image editing software. According to the manufacturer, the feedback of the users played the most important role in the further development. The improvements include…
  • new and improved editing tools,
  • Workflow simplifications with a great effect and
  • support for more cameras

As with previous versions, Capture One 20 can be purchased both as a perpetual license or as subscription software. The unlimited full version costs 349 €, the subscription starts at 18 € per month. Upgrades from previous versions start at 169 €.

Capture One 20 for Sony and Capture One 20 Fujifilm, which only support the RAW files of the respective camera manufacturers, cost 149 € as full version, or 9 € as subscription.

» Capture One 20 in the Online Store

» Download trial version

New features in Capture One 20

The most important improvements compared to the previous version are...

• a new basic color editor, with which colors can be easily selected and edited within the image.
  • a revised HDR tool, 
  • an easy-to-use tool for cropping images
  • Improved noise reduction

The improvements in detail:

New Basic Color Editor

The palette for color editing has been completely reworked, among others:

• There are now eight instead of six color ranges that can be edited individually
  • The changes in this palette can now be applied to layers.
  • The functions can be applied directly in the image via "Click & Drag": Clicking marks a certain color, by dragging in different directions, e.g. hue, saturation and brightness are changed

Enhanced HDR tool

Two additional sliders for black and white allow even finer processing of the image contrast. For even more precise control, you can still use gradation curves.

Improved noise reduction

The noise reduction process has been revised to better preserve colors, details and patterns. The effect of the sliders is now more visible in the image.

Improved cropping of images

Image trimming is much easier with Capture One 20 and is oriented to other programs:

• Grabs at the edges of the crop area.
  • Centred cropping with ALT key
  • Shift key preserves the aspect ratio
  • Free image rotation by Cmd/Ctrl key or by moving the cursor out of the crop area

Noise reduction

HDR Tool

Crop Tool
Color Editing

Capture One 20 Workflow Improvement

The tool area on the left side of the screen is now divided into two areas, one of which is fixed at the top and the other freely scrollable. Palettes can be moved from one to the other area depending on your preferences in order to optimize the personal workflow.

Another detail that will be helpful when processing image batches: Capture One 20 can be configured to move to the next image after marking images.

It is now possible to apply processing layers from one image to others without replacing existing layers.

Finally new cameras are now supported, for example:

• Leica V-LUX 5
  • Olympus E-M5 III
  • Canon EOS M6 II
  • Lumix S1H
  • Nikon Z50
  • Generic GoPro RAW support

Here is a full list with all Capture One 20 changes and improvements.

» Capture One 20 Online Store

» Download test version

I ordered this as i was awaiting my SL2 and was hoping they may have at last offered tethering.....no such luck. I wish Leica and Capture one would sort out their differences.

I already own C1 12. So the price to me is £150 - which seems a lot for so few improvements.

Somewhat underwhelmed by this update. See my post on another C20 thread 

On 12/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, LUF Admin said:

new cameras are now supported, for example:

But still no HEIC file support for those times when your phone is the only camera at hand.   It annoys me no end to throw away bits worth of dynamic range when I convert to jpeg for editing.

6 hours ago, RVB said:

I bought this, best raw processor around imho, just wish it has full S support.

Hi Rob, I was wondering what you meant by full S support, does it open S007 files but no lens corrections for example?

I came to this thread because I'm really getting fed up with the Adobe Lightroom subscription business model and it would be very nice if the S series were fully supported by Capture One and S system users had a broader choice of raw developers.

Indeed it's time for Leica and Capture One to work out their differences, oh well 🙂

I am still in Capture One 11 and I bought in October an upgrade to Capture One 20. Now they tell me the upgrade is only valid from Capture One 12 to Capture One 20. They offered to cancel the pre-order at least.

They say the new version handles DNG better. Does this mean it will handle Leica files (e.g. from the S ) better ?

21 hours ago, antigallican said:

I already own C1 12. So the price to me is £150 - which seems a lot for so few improvements.

It depends: I use several cameras and with C1 20 I can work on one edit and copy it an all files, whereas in C1 12 I had to do the edit for every sensor size once. So for me it's a time saver. And I bought the pre-order update in october. So it's just under 100€ for the upgrade - for a program I use on a daily basis. 

Slightly off-topic, but I have found a bug in C1 20 when processing Sony A7RII and A7RIV RAW files: when updating a C1 session to the new v20 format, the whitebalance values are altered.

Say they were 5700K with a tint of 2.5 for a photo, when the session is updated, the values will now be some random 4723K tint -1.02 (just an example, the values are always different).

Luckily this doesn't happen with Leica SL shots, only the Sony images.

Who cares on a Leica forum?  Well, I use my Leica R lenses on Sony bodies a lot 😃

3 hours ago, AZN said:

Slightly off-topic, but I have found a bug in C1 20 when processing Sony A7RII and A7RIV RAW files: when updating a C1 session to the new v20 format, the whitebalance values are altered.

Say they were 5700K with a tint of 2.5 for a photo, when the session is updated, the values will now be some random 4723K tint -1.02 (just an example, the values are always different).

Luckily this doesn't happen with Leica SL shots, only the Sony images.

Who cares on a Leica forum?  Well, I use my Leica R lenses on Sony bodies a lot 😃

Are you using the universal or the Sony version of C.20? This may be a quirk of using the universal version on Sony RAW files. 

Wilson

30 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Are you using the universal or the Sony version of C.20? This may be a quirk of using the universal version on Sony RAW files. 

Wilson

The full "Pro" version which can accept any camera body:

https://www.captureone.com/en/products/pro

It's not the end of the world, just odd.  There may be an issue in that I shoot uncompressed RAW, then losslessly compress the images using Adobe DNG Converter to end up with DNG files, which are then imported into C1.

Maybe C1 didn't test for this case during the beta phase.

After installing version 20 a message on the screen announced that the file I was using was using v.11 and did I want to update.  After clicking on yes, the DNG images for the entire file changed to appalling colours which was quite a shock.  Non of the sliders would repair the damage.  The following day I upgraded the version from 11 to 20 and all the images reverted to how they had been.  The harsh colours normalized and I was much relieved.  However when comparing a v.20 jpg image with a  v.11 one I noticed a extremely slight colour change being much better colour.  I've asked CO for an explanation but as of today no reply has been forthcoming.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced the above.

Anyway I am pleased with v.20, the addition of white and black sliders to HDR are a great feature as are the mid point zerios allowing both an increase and decrease.

Yes I have had a huge problem with my upgrade to C20. It seems to have wiped huge swathes of original DNG files. I am furious to say the least!  All that has been left behind are the ghosts of the files in a cosession.db file 😡

Wilson

PS Managed to recover all the missing photos from my Time Machine back-up. 

Edited by wlaidlaw