TMAX Developer Dilution

tommonego@gmail.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received a bottle of TMAX developer, first in 20 years, I remember the directions being a little more specific. The bottle seems to say "make a 1:4 working dilution" I generally work from the concentrate and remember more of a dilution, so it ends up like create the stock solution and then dilute that. Maybe it came out as a 1:9 from concentrate. Never been great at keeping notes. 

It is just 1+4 from the concentrate. For 500mL you have 100mL of concentrate, and 400mL of water. The working solution lasts a few months, so some people mix it ahead of time, but you do not have to. You should not dilute again once you have made a working solution...it is just 1+4 from the original bottle.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

3 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

It is just 1+4 from the concentrate. For 500mL you have 100mL of concentrate, and 400mL of water. The working solution lasts a few months, so some people mix it ahead of time, but you do not have to. You should not dilute again once you have made a working solution...it is just 1+4 from the original bottle.

Thanks,

I probably diluted it further like 1:9 50cc/500cc, because I remember the developing times being longer than listed. Interesting that I just received a roll of TMax back from another lab and the development was perfect, unlike the first lab I used. I have the chemistry, found my developing tanks, now just have to find the graduates and Kodak calibration thermometer. 

• 2 weeks later...
Am 4.12.2019 um 19:20 schrieb tommonego@gmail.com:

Thanks,

I probably diluted it further like 1:9 50cc/500cc, because I remember the developing times being longer than listed. Interesting that I just received a roll of TMax back from another lab and the development was perfect, unlike the first lab I used. I have the chemistry, found my developing tanks, now just have to find the graduates and Kodak calibration thermometer. 

Why would you do that? Cost saving?  Why do you want longer development times instead of shorter develpment times? 1+4 and the development times from the film data sheet will give you really good results. You will find development times for 1+9 on massive dev chart but I doubt that the results will be as good. If a developer with the intended dillution is too expensive, probably find a developer that needs a different dillution right from the start?

2 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

Why would you do that? Cost saving?  Why do you want longer development times instead of shorter develpment times? 1+4 and the development times from the film data sheet will give you really good results. You will find development times for 1+9 on massive dev chart but I doubt that the results will be as good. If a developer with the intended dillution is too expensive, probably find a developer that needs a different dillution right from the start?

I am waiting for PhotoFlo to come from B&H, usually a 2 day timeframe but this order will take a week for some reason. I have decided to use the 1:4 dilution, just because 20 minutes seems too long. But longer development can increase your control, but since I have no baseline, being my first roll in years, I'll start with the shorter time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Kodak data sheets for the T-Max films include developing times for T-Max developer at 1:7 and 1:9 dilutions, as well as for the standard 1:4 dilution. Although I can see some uses for the higher dilutions (taming excess lighting ratios, or your water temperature is so high that developing at the standard dilution would result in unduly short times), I've always had the best results at 1:4.

My first roll I used 1:4 results were great, what was important I had better results than the rolls I had sent out. this pic is in flat light so you don't get the shadow details. M3 35 preasph Summilux TMax 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1