Help! My DNG-converted-JPEG is not the same the OOC JPEG.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I am not sure if there is a topic on this so I am  going to post my problem here in the hope someone can help me.

I am a newbie and just got my Leica Q2 a couple of months ago. I normally shoot JPEG only and never try to shoot RAW because I did not yet have an editing software on my computer.

I recently purchased Luminar 4 and want to try out DNG files. To my dismay, the JPEG converted from DNG using Luminar 4 came out not as the same as the OOC JPEG. 

The DNG photo looks like it has black vignette at the four corners of the photo. A closer look at both photos showed that OOC JPEG looks like a cropped version of the DNG Photo. It is a smaller photo in comparision to DNG Photo with the vignette has been cropped (?).

Could someone pls explain why it is so? Not sure if Luminar4 does that or Leica DNG RAW file is supposed to be like that. Is there something in the Q2 I should set so the DNG photo does not come out with the vignette?  Otherwise I have to cropped away the vignette for every photo I am taking in RAW.

Below is OOC JPEG. I am posting DNG converted JPEG in the following post.  Your advice is very much appreciated.. Thank you and best regards.

I just found out that I am allowed to post 1 post/day so I have to post the other photo the 'next day' :(.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LRookie
updating

Of course it is not the same. The in-camera one is generated to the camera presets. the computer one by the choices you made in your postprocessing software.

On top of that, the camera uses the complete data from the full lens design, which includes both digital and optical corrections and Luminar seems to use only half by ignoring the sidecar file. Open the DNG in something like Lightroom and you'll be fine.

You'll find dozens of discussions on the subject on the forum .

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, LRookie said:

This is the DNG-converted-JPEG. Notice the black vignette ...

28 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Of course it is not the same. The in-camera one is generated to the camera presets. the computer one by the choices you made in your postprocessing software.

On top of that, the camera uses the complete data from the full lens design, which includes both digital and optical corrections and Luminar seems to use only half by ignoring the sidecar file. Open the DNG in something like Lightroom and you'll be fine.

You'll find dozens of discussions on the subject on the forum .

Thank you jaapv. Since I do not have Lr on my computer so I thought I try out a free online DNG-to-JPEG converter. The JPEGs came out nicely without the 'balck' vignette.

You are so right. Luminar 4 is such a disappointment. Now it looks like I can not use Luminar for DNGs from my Leica Q2.  

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes - that is the half-corrected output of the camera. Does Luminar have a setting to implement the extra file?

Sorry jaap,I am new to Luminar 4 and not sure what settings I should use. You are talking to a newbie whom never use any editing software or do any post processing before  :(. I am hoping someone in this forum have used Luminar 4 can help me out.

I'm not a Luminar expert, nor do I have Q files to try it out, but try this:

• Like 1

Just now, jaapv said:

I contacted Skylum. Luminar does not support XMP files (which is where the Q lens information is stored), so it is not a suitable program to use for Q images.

That is just so terrible. I just purchased Luminar 4 and now I can not use it.  Skylum should really implement a better DNG converter in Luminar 4.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Viv said:

N.B. Photoninja gives the same vignetting effect on Q2 DNG files.

Of course, a slight crop removes the dark corners.

Thank you for your response Viv. If it is only a couple of photos,  I do not mind to do the cropping. I normally take hundreds of photos from each vacation so I am not too thrilled to crop every single one of of them. :(

Edited by LRookie
typo