Sign in to follow this  
patashnik

The $1600 Leica Monochrom (typ 246)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, this is a first world problem, and I do apologize.

Last Monday I woke up early, and noticed I'd received an email from one of those pricespy websites, telling me that there had been a price drop for one of my watched products.

Indeed, the Leica Monochrom typ 246 was available for $1600 from the largest dealer in Norway. I couldn't even remember setting up a price watch, but I bought it. It arrived on Friday, and I've only tested it to make sure everything is ok. It is. Matter of fact, the ISO performance of this camera is superb.

Here is the "dilemma" (okay, it is not a dilemma - there are no negatives here): I have an M240 that is good enough for me. I don't need an M246, but at this price I could happily live with it for those, I don't know, special moments?

My usual dealer has offered me around $4200 in credit for it, which is tempting. At some point that would go a long way towards an M10. If I sell this camera, I would most likely never buy another one again. A $7000 b/w camera is not where I'm at.

So, what would you do? I don't know if I'm looking for confirmation, or a wake up call, but most of all I would like to hear what you would do.

4 minutes ago, patashnik said:

...but most of all I would like to hear what you would do.

I’d check the serial to see if it’s on a stolen camera list.  Hard to imagine this price from a reputable dealer, with warranty.

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I’d check the serial to see if it’s on a stolen camera list.  Hard to imagine this price from a reputable dealer, with warranty.

Jeff

I know, but this is legit. 

Years ago, I was offered a pristine M9 and 35 mm Summicron, both in matching chrome, for $3,500 US. The seller was super sketchy, btw. I called Leica New Jersey and they confirmed that both serial numbers had been reported stolen. Bought an ME instead. 

19 hours ago, patashnik said:

I know, but this is legit. 

I don’t know what that ad shows.  But I’d call Leica with serial, as ‘Ace’ above.

Jeff

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Exactly.