Why I will never sell my Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received a 28/2.8 Elmarit-M to use on my SL (28 is my favorite perspective).  I thought that I could stop carrying my Q inside my kit with the SL.

Decided to shoot a comparison with my Q.

The 28/1.7 Summilux absolutely delivers images even finer than the incredible Elmarit-M.  The Q stays in my kit!  The Elmarit-M goes with me when I am traveling light but also need other perspectives (carrying 28/50/90 under my coat in there rain...)

Has anyone compared Q vs Q2 to see if the newer Summilux matches the old one?

• Like 3

Never say never. You will one day. 

Elmarit-M 28mm asph pre-2016 is a so-so lens with SL.
You need at least 2016 Elmarit-M 2.8/28 asph or Summicron-M 2/28 asph or Summilux-M 1.4/28 asph. 
There are huge difference in corner sharpness with these 2016 lenses on the SL. 
You can use older wide angle lenses with M, M10, CL or TL2. 
SL and SL2 need the most modern ones. 

Just keep in mind that Panasonic S1/S1R have 3 layers stack sensor filter. SL/SL2 have 2 layers. But M10 has only 1 layer. That’s the secret for superior wide angle M lenses performance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, nicci78 said:

You should have kept it. X-Pan is way cooler than Q2 😝

I wanted to keep the XPAN, but between hardly ever using it and not having money to burn, I had to sell it off to help pay for the Q2.  All things considered, the Q2 makes more sense for the kind of shooting I do nowadays.

I'm not regretting that decision.

Yet...  🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do regretted my X-Pan. 

It is now history. 

Don’t worry Q2 is nice. And you can still make some panoramic with 26MP after cropping to the same 65x24 aspect ratio. 
The field of view should look like XPan with 45mm.

For exact same view, please use Capture One to access to full 26mm view. In panoramic view, you can get rid of heavily vignette corners. In this case you will retain a very nice 30MP  

You can even get shallower depth of field. Thanks to the Summilux-Q 28mm f/1.7 For same DoF, just close the Q2 at f/2.2

You can also mimic XPan 90mm with a massive lost of resolution. You will be left with 8MP after cropping. 

Best part, you don’t have to mess with weird central ND filter. 

Edited by nicci78

On 12/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, dancook said:

The hasselblad x1d ii has an XPAN mode

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=91635781%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=Xpan&view_all=1

you get the full raw in lightroom and have to reapply the crop. But the viewfinder and lcd show it to aid composition.

I added black borders in via photoshop, it was a fun exercise

Actually to mimic XPan 45mm you can just shoot Q2 in 50mm crop mode. The top and bottom lines of 50mm act as the panoramic up and down limits. 

Just change the crop in Lightroom, to expand the image on the right and left. To mimic XPan mode. 

Ultimate advantages over X1D's XPan mode :

• no need to use electronic shutter only
  • the ability to shoot at f/1.7 instead of f/4
  • no need of central part ND filter

Edited by nicci78

On 12/17/2019 at 6:56 AM, dancook said:

The hasselblad x1d ii has an XPAN mode

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=91635781%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=Xpan&view_all=1

you get the full raw in lightroom and have to reapply the crop. But the viewfinder and lcd show it to aid composition.

I added black borders in via photoshop, it was a fun exercise

Dan: I really like this one! Bravo.

Edited by ramosa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Actually to mimic XPan 45mm you can just shoot Q2 in 50mm crop mode. The top and bottom lines of 50mm act as the panoramic up and down limits. 

Just change the crop in Lightroom, to expand the image on the right and left. To mimic XPan mode. 

Ultimate advantages over X1D's XPan mode :

• no need to use electronic shutter only
  • the ability to shoot at f/1.7 instead of f/4
  • no need of central part ND filter

I didn't need to use electronic shutter, but then I don't know what the focal length of the 'real' XPAN camera is like, I just used XCD 45mm which by the sounds of it probably doesn't give the same FL

On 12/21/2019 at 11:05 AM, LexS said:

Are there no differences between the Q and Q2 ??

Even with the exact same lens on both, there is a difference in sensor, and a difference in the electronics to "make" the DNG...?

Q2 upgrades in red -

Leica Q2 at a glance

• 47 MP CMOS Sensor
  • New Maestro image processor
  • Built in Summilux 28mm F/1.7 ASPH. lens
  • Optical design: 11 elements in 9 groups
  • Digitalzoom to 35, 50 and 75 mm
  • Electronic viewfinder with 3,68 MP
  • ISO sensitivity 50 – 50.000
  • Shutter speed (mechanical) 60 – 1/2,000 sec
  • Electronic shutter 1 – 1/40,000 sec
  • 4k video up to 30 fps
  • Dust and splash protection
  • Dimensions (B x H x T): 130 x 80 x 92 mm
  • Weight 718 g (incl. battery)
  • Improved battery life
  • Silent leaf shutter

See

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

...and image stabilization.  I forgot one.  🙄

I don't think that has changed between the Q and Q2. But I don't see why you didn't put size and weight in red, since they have indeed changed.

FWIW (and I think it's worth a lot) Sean Reid extensively tested the Elmarit-M 28mm asph pre-2016 on the SL and the results are, to my eyes at least, acceptable. But on the SL2 it really shines, and he found very little difference in IQ on its use on the SL2 and the M (wide open I can sometimes make out slight smearing at the edges). Of course, as nicci says, the 2016 version will preform even better. But just as the difference between lenses is important, Reid notes that the SL2 renders wide M lenses better than the SL does. 

My strong sense is that both Reid and Jono Slack see the SL2 as an excellent (though not the best, which of course is the M body) platform for at least some wide M glass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2