M lens profiles in Lightroom vs in camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could someone explain what is the purpose of Lens profiles in Lightroom when there is software correction in camera, please?
For example, if one mounts 24mm Elmar on Leica M, the camera will also read the profile and apply it (is this valid for jpeg only or for dng too?). If it is valid for both I wondered what is the purpose of the Lightroom lens correction? Is is for cases when such lens is used on another body e.g. on Sony  so Adobe is filling the gap?

31 minutes ago, Steve Caddy said:

The in-camera profile corrections apply to JPG but the DNG files are uncorrected, directly as the sensor receives. Metadata about the lens (if coded) Is what allows Lightroom to apply its own correction.

Perfect. That means if I use Leica M-adapter L on Panasonic S camera Lightroom should be able to apply correct profiles, right?

Edited by mirekti

Which corrections?

Provided a lens is identified by menu or 6-bit coding, the cameras correct for color vignetting (Italian Flag) and overall vignetting. Somewhat - it varies with ISO being used, for noise considerations - using higher ISOs, the firmware dials back the level of vignetting correction to avoid excess noise in the corners.

That is done with both .DNG and .JPG files.

Period. End of.

Other corrections, such as for distortion, are never done in the camera, but if the lens type is ID'd, can be done via the associated profile in post-processing.

9 minutes ago, adan said:

Which corrections?

Provided a lens is identified by menu or 6-bit coding, the cameras correct for color vignetting (Italian Flag) and overall vignetting. Somewhat - it varies with ISO being used, for noise considerations - using higher ISOs, the firmware dials back the level of vignetting correction to avoid excess noise in the corners.

That is done with both .DNG and .JPG files.

Period. End of.

Other corrections, such as for distortion, are never done in the camera, but if the lens type is ID'd, can be done via the associated profile in post-processing.

So M camera can correct both, Italian flag and vignetting, SL/SL2 could correct for Italian flag, but not overall vignetting, and Panasonic S series for none of the above.

I try manual lens corrections with my M-P (240), with wide lenses...still get red on edges anything wider than 35mm. It's very irritating.

So I have to use Flat Field correction in Light Room...works well, but...why can't i just have a reasonable straight pic without extra processing...rhetorical.

Does it only correct jpg's?

Edited by david strachan