SL2 Tether solution

GLC

Did you install the plugin?

its available on the Leica site in the downloads. Install it in LR (Files/Plug-In Manager)

Restart LR

Connect camera via USB to computer

Enable USB PTP mode

In LR go to File/Tethered Capture

bingo...she works

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A week ago Leica had their SL2 launch event at Alexandria in Sydney.

Interestingly, all the SL2s were tethered to iMacs running Lightroom software.  The tethering was robust and they shot dozens of images without trouble.

So the good news is that the tethering issues which bedevilled the SL appear to be fixed with the SL2.  

The bad news, confirmed by talking to one of the Leica "ambassadors" at the event, was that it only currently works for Lightroom and not Capture One.  Hopefully in time this will be addressed.

Edited by AZN

11 hours ago, digitalfx said:

Did you install the plugin?

its available on the Leica site in the downloads. Install it in LR (Files/Plug-In Manager)

Restart LR

Connect camera via USB to computer

Enable USB PTP mode

In LR go to File/Tethered Capture

bingo...she works

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I did and can’t get it to work.  Mind you I’m no slouch when it comes to these things too..

I got it running on capture via Image Shuttle.  Capture would be preferred but there’s a punch of reds and magenta in skin tones currently with their generic DNG setting I’m not so happy about.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, digitalfx said:

Sorry I didn't notice you are trying to get it to work in Capture One. Did you try straight up in LR only?

It worked for me first try.

I also don't have Image Shuttle installed, so maybe thats causing a conflict?

I Finally updated my OS and it worked fine in LR.  

16 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

The new Lightroom plugin (v. 2.0, released a couple of weeks ago) works better with my SL than did the prior iteration of the software. Though the images probably don't load as fast (via a USB 3.0 cable) as they would via a USB-C connection.

Does this mean you have been able reliably shoot tethered with the SL now?

Thanks.

Finally, the new Plugin version 2 works the way it should. Camera (SL2) recognised instantly, transfer speeds not C1 fast but OK and selected presets are applied automatically. Leica should advertise this information more widely. One of the main obstacles to using the camera in fashion and other team-focused environments has gone away. Would I prefer to tether into Capture One rather than Lightroom? Yes, but the way it works now is fine. Now give us some dedicated HS/HSS triggers for Profoto, Elinchrom and/or Bron and we are more or less there.

• Like 3

Well, it looks like I praised the new tethering solution too early. During my first proper shoot with the SL2 yesterday, the camera tethered fine in LR for about 100 shots, then disconnected and I was not able to connect it again. Lightroom was looking for camera, the SL2 was in PTP mode, connected with a USB-C cable, but they did not connect. I gave up after about a minute. Interestingly, the camera also froze several times afterwards - EVF remained black or there was no reaction to me pressing the shutter button. Had to take battery out and restart. Perhaps it was the buffer being full as I was shooting a quick sequence (but not continuous shooting). Card was UHS-II, Lexar 1667x. While the original SL never really tethered properly, I never had it freeze during a shoot. Maybe early days and a FW update or two is needed.