From MM1 to M246 - Worth Upgrade in 2019?

jonnyboy

Yeah I love the images from the MM1 too...but I do get really nice BW out of my Ricoh GR (not comparing!) - I'm not really a pixel-peeper!

I think the M10M will make the price and desire of MM1 drop... i don't really believe digital cameras to get 'cult'.

And the M246 wouldn’t drop then? 
Stepping over from an MM1 to an M246 can lead to disappointments, at least in the beginning, this has been reported here. I can only see one good reason for it: the possibility to make small B&W movies of 2” to 30”. That would be a new form of imaging that I would like, especially for streetphotography, but my drive is not very strong for that and perhaps the Ricoh is even handier for that purpose.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

I can tell you I had the MM1 and shot it for about 3 years, then got the M246 and still have it.  Because of the way it works, it has always provided images that print better at larger sizes than the M240.  I also have never shot a movie on the M246, but the higher ISO does two things the MM1 lacks.  One, better low light (of course).  I shoot with a Summilux 35 and a 2 or 3 stop ND filter outside, if I go in, I just boost the ISO and don’t worry about the ND filter.  Second, the extra ISO translates into a higher dynamic range, so it means you can protect highlights even more in high contrasts situations and then pull the shadows up with less noise than the MM1.

Personally, I like shooting with the multifunction grip as it helps hold the camera, but also give me GPS.  Personal, I  also like the better buffer and SD card use so I can fire off shots more quickly with the quieter shutter a bonus.

I don’t know if the price will change, but I am planning on trading in for the M10M - mostly because I still shoot film and have loved the M10 size.  Much easier transition between bodies...

Just my thoughts!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I would stick with the MM1. I started with the original Monochrom which I loved. However, at the time I had a M240 and got fed up of having to carry different batteries and chargers and so upgraded to the 246. The M246 got stolen during a Leica One Challenge in Portugal but when I replaced it I went back to the original M9M. In my opinion the rendering from the original Monochrom is superior to anything I've been able to achieve from either the 246, or from converting RAW files from either my M10, or SL.

Regards, Tom

Edited by lanetomlane
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, lanetomlane said:

Personally I would stick with the MM1. I started with the original Monochrom which I loved. However, at the time I had a M240 and got fed up of having to carry different batteries and chargers and so upgraded to the 246. The M246 got stolen during a Leica One Challenge in Portugal but when I replaced it I went back to the original M9M. In my opinion the rendering from the original Monochrom is superior to anything I've been able to achieve from either the 246, or from converting RAW files from either my M10, or SL.

Regards, Tom

The 41MP M10M looks fantastic on paper and a quantum leap beyond the M9M.

But do I really need 41MP?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, james.liam said:

Perhaps not unless you enjoy pixel peeping for sharpness.  I have a Nikon D800 (36 MP) with excellent Nikon glass and deleted a lot of good shots because the sharpness was not perfect.  I kick my sell self in the a$$ for deleting good shots because beard scrubble was not perfectly in focus at 100% zoom.  .  

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 12:21 AM, james.liam said:

Perhaps you do.  I am enjoying a new Q2, with its forty something megapixels, and find the ability to crop with increased impunity very helpful.  However, I guess the question is whether we can make effective use of the increased megapixels in the M10M without some sort of image stabilization, or not.  Regards.  

• Like 1

I made the jump and after just a few weeks went right back to the MM1. Something about the CCD look. I've never had any mechanical issues of any kind with the MM1 and I'm on my third one, beginning when it was first announced.

The M246 has somewhat better dynamic range but not enough to justify making the switch.

4 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I made the jump and after just a few weeks went right back to the MM1. Something about the CCD look. I've never had any mechanical issues of any kind with the MM1 and I'm on my third one, beginning when it was first announced.

The M246 has somewhat better dynamic range but not enough to justify making the switch.

Great timing this post! 2 hours after the launch of M10m 😁

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

So are you keeping your MM1, at least for a while, if you buy the M10M?

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

I will be unless the person I bought it from wants it back. He's had serious seller's regret and if I keep it I want it to be with a clear conscience.  Good karma guess a long way.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I will be unless the person I bought it from wants it back. He's had serious seller's regret and if I keep it I want it to be with a clear conscience.  Good karma guess a long way.

So, besides using “free” money, your buying the M10M might also be a charitable act. Might be forum purchase of the year!  Wife-proof rationale.  😂

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Last night we had a beautiful snowfall, so this morning after shoveling the driveway and walk, I picked up my MM1 and went out for a brief photo walk along the river and lake near my home. I just started working on some of the files and the image quality is so good (to my eyes anyway) that I'm starting to wonder if I just got caught up in a mass hysteria. Why do I need better files than this???

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Last night we had a beautiful snowfall, so this morning after shoveling the driveway and walk, I picked up my MM1 and went out for a brief photo walk along the river and lake near my home. I just started working on some of the files and the image quality is so good (to my eyes anyway) that I'm starting to wonder if I just got caught up in a mass hysteria. Why do I need better files than this???

Exactly.  And the new one MIGHT not render as well in print (see Likaleica comment below)  More resolution, at my print sizes, is wasted (except for cropping).  And ASA 400 worked fine for me in film days. Tonality rules.

I do, however, like the M10 platform... better VF, weather sealing, form factor, quietness, 2m frame lines, etc.  

BTW, we were expecting snow this am, and I had my MM1 ready, but it just rained.  Climate change sucks for b/w.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

fotografr...these images like the other one you posted in a different thread illustrates that sometimes the latest and greatest is not always better or the optimal tool for capturing such excellent images.  Each has its place and there is no disputing that the M240 and M10 platform operational wise is superior.  I'm focusing simply on output. Just as some use a monochrom to get back to basics and forces the user to "see in B&W" and therefore may be a better tool (for them) in capturing B&W images....so too is the MM1 in forcing the users to stay within the confines of film era ISO's.  This is rarely mentioned by I also feel is an important factor.

Dave (D&A)

• Like 1

I don't see any need to upgrade, i barely care about megapixels (I still shoot an M8, together with MM1) I'm only drawn to size/weight (which I think all M10 users got used to) of the new camera - which definitely doesn't justify a purchase right now, even if I had the funds.

Really nice shots fotografr!

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fotografr said:

Just great shots Brent, which lens?