SL2 - assign crop (aps-c) mode to function key?

Aktenschrank

I think I have a different approach  to taking photographs. I "see" a photograph including the composition before I raise the camera to my eye and only use the camera as a recording tool. Crop etc. comes at home on the big screen.
Others look for the photograph and compose through the viewfinder. Both approaches are equally valid IMO. But the demands on the viewfinder are different.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rob L said:

I have not tried it yet, but User profiles can be set to a function button. I don't see why you couldn't set up a profile for APS C and store it to allow toggling back and forth with a function button

Thanks for the tip Rob! My SL2 will arrive by eow and I definitely will try that. My fear is that going this route by selecting a user profile it will probably "overwrite" all changes I made before switching, like focus-modes, iso, self timer etc. rather than leaving everything as it is at the specific moment in time only changing to a crop (punch-in & out).

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have my SL2 by now...Just to close on this topic in terms of what's possible with Firmware 1.0

1. It is NOT possible to assign sensor format nor aspect ratio to a function button

2. It is also NOT possible to add either of the two to the favourites menu

3. Both settings are saved with user profiles, however, if you use them to set aspect or sensor format all current settings will be overwritten by what's saved in the profile

I'd wish for Leica to make those settings available via function button and favourites menu.

Edited by Aktenschrank

On 12/1/2019 at 9:20 PM, Aktenschrank said:

Hi, 

quick question for everyone who already has their SL2. Is it possible to assign the crop (aps-c) mode to a function key? In a way that when I press the button the camera jumps directly in/out of crop mode? Looking at the manual it seems like this is not actually possible. I'm contemplating on buying an SL2 and used that functionality a lot on the Sonys I own. 20MP for crop mode is plenty, so the crop mode makes photographing with a standard zoom or prime very versatile....

Thanks for your help!

Hi There

The option is called 'Sensor Format' and you can't assign it to a Function button - however, you can put it in your favourites menu, so it's not too much of a problem.

When using crop mode you get a full sized DNG, with the cropped framelines showing in LR (at least). 

I hope this helps

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 3:25 PM, jonoslack said:

Hi There

The option is called 'Sensor Format' and you can't assign it to a Function button - however, you can put it in your favourites menu, so it's not too much of a problem.

When using crop mode you get a full sized DNG, with the cropped framelines showing in LR (at least). 

I hope this helps

Thanks for your reply @jonoslack!

A slight correction though. It is NOT possible to assign either sensor format or aspect ration to the Favourites Menu. At least with Firmware 1.0 that I have on my SL2. I really hope both of these things (assign it to Fn-Button & Favourites Menu) will be fixed by firmware updates....

Edited by Aktenschrank

On 12/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, Aktenschrank said:

Thanks for your reply @jonoslack!

A slight correction though. It is NOT possible to assign either sensor format or aspect ration to the Favourites Menu. At least with Firmware 1.0 that I have on my SL2. I really hope both of these things (assign it to Fn-Button & Favourites Menu) will be fixed by firmware updates....

HI There

Well - a bad assumption I’m afraid and I’m sorry for the error! (Big Correction!)

best

• 3 months later...

Yes! 
This would most definitely be something to have in the next firmware update, whenever that may be!

Back in my Nikon D800 days, I remember using the 4:5 crop mode a LOT. For landscape, paired with a geared tripod head - this enables you to very precisely frame the visual you want - like for example the diagonal edge of a river at the lower corner. Cropping in post is never the same as you have to "search" for that crop and ends up requiring more processing and fiddling around.

Perhaps this need just be an overlay in the Display - I noticed you can make multiple display functions to taste - and instead of having the Aspect Ratio as a User Profile, you could just cycle through crop overlays? 
This shouldn't be too bad coz the VIDEO mode does have all these overlays possible- so why not for photos?

I would say, having a 4:5 or 6:7 crop would be great too... basically classic medium format ratios. 7:5 seems too close to 3:2 though a lot of frame makers do use this ratio!

In the M240, it was a simple up (or was it down arrow) toggle between different framelines.

This really shouldn't be that hard to implement? 
Do we still have a Firmware Update thread for the SL to add these recommendations to?

Edited by ajitmenon
extra line

• 1 year later...

But why would you want to turn off cropping? The image circle won't cover the full sensor, which is the reason for the automatic cropping in the first place. And no, (T)L lenses cannot be adapted to M or NX mount.