Jump to content

SL2 - assign crop (aps-c) mode to function key?


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

quick question for everyone who already has their SL2. Is it possible to assign the crop (aps-c) mode to a function key? In a way that when I press the button the camera jumps directly in/out of crop mode? Looking at the manual it seems like this is not actually possible. I'm contemplating on buying an SL2 and used that functionality a lot on the Sonys I own. 20MP for crop mode is plenty, so the crop mode makes photographing with a standard zoom or prime very versatile....

Thanks for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Good question, I’d also love to know. 

I think the crop mode is only intended for use with TL lenses and is selected automatically. It seems a bit useless to handicap the camera this way if one can just as easily crop in post-processing.

Well, given that the Q implements the crop mode because it is a fixed lens camera, that is a completely different situation. Change lenses, zoom  or -if necessary crop in post seems to me to be the rational solution.Why should you want to handicap yourself by throwing away pixels without need? If one has to remember that an image was shot with crop in mind, it raises doubts about the quality of the composition. Either it needs the crop or it doesn't.

8 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

When you long press the customise buttons, the available list of functions will appear for selection. Not all functions are available.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I don't have an SL2 handy unfortunately, so I can't try it. Do you happen too know if crop mode is one of the functions available for button customisation? Sorry for the dumb question, looking at the manual it seems to me like this ruction is actually not assignable, and I´d like to make sure that I'm not mis-reading it. It seems like a grotesque oversight to not be able to assign the crop mode to a function key given the high res sensor and how Leica handles exactly this in the Q2....

Edited by Aktenschrank
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaapv said:

if one can just as easily crop in post-processing

for this I have to remember that this specific image was shot with a crop in mind, I´m also not able to see the final result in the field etc. It seems way easier to me to crop in-camera, this crops transfers to for example Lightroom and I can change it there if needed. Basically just like the Q2 handles it, or any other high-res camera :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, given that the Q implements the crop mode because it is a fixed lens camera, that is a completely different situation. Change lenses, zoom  or -if necessary crop in post seems to me to be the rational solution.Why should you want to handicap yourself by throwing away pixels without need?

If one has to remember that an image was shot with crop in mind, it raises doubts about the quality of the composition. Either it needs the crop or it doesn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Why should you want to handicap yourself by throwing away pixels without need?

What is mean is a crop defined in-camera. Obviously the raw file still has the full resolution and pixel count, it just carries over the crop to Lightroom. Kind of how it (hopefully) works also on the SL2 for choosing different aspect ratios. I guess some people also call this "digital zoom"... And it has been very handy for me in the past when I don't want to carry lots of lenses, but still have the ability to define my "longer focal length"  compositions in-camera

Edited by Aktenschrank
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aktenschrank said:

Thanks a lot for your reply! I don't have an SL2 handy unfortunately, so I can't try it. Do you happen too know if crop mode is one of the functions available for button customisation? Sorry for the dumb question, looking at the manual it seems to me like this ruction is actually not assignable, and I´d like to make sure that I'm not mis-reading it. It seems like a grotesque oversight to not be able to assign the crop mode to a function key given the high res sensor and how Leica handles exactly this in the Q2....

I did not remember seeing it in list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually this is a very useful function with high megapixel sensors. On my Sony A7RIV my 24 f1/4 doubles as 36 f 2.2 @ 26 megapixels. Some penalty in noise and dynamic range, but minor. I have one of my top function buttons programmed this way and use it often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aktenschrank said:

What is mean is a crop defined in-camera. Obviously the raw file still has the full resolution and pixel count, it just carries over the crop to Lightroom. Kind of how it (hopefully) works also on the SL2 for choosing different aspect ratios. I guess some people also call this "digital zoom"... And it has been very handy for me in the past when I don't want to carry lots of lenses, but still have the ability to define my "longer focal length"  compositions in-camera

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would not feel this as a lacking feature, maybe because I am an age-long M shooter and used to work with inaccurate frame lines. One has to learn the field of view. Anyway, I guess Leica was of my way of thinking when they designed the camera. If enough people request it, they might add this in a firmware update.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried the APS-C mode with the SL 2 . Using CL lenses there seems to be no possibility to switch it off - it is choosen automatically, With some zoom lenses for the SL2 it might make sense to use it in some situations , because i.e. the 90/280 will result in a (it is not quite correct I know) 420 mm max. focal length and the 24/90 will allow a higher magnification rate too. All at reduced resolution of 20 MP, nut good enough for some purposes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kodachrome said:

Is there a way to turn off the APS-C crop mode on the SL1 when using a TL lens ?

 

3 hours ago, HeinzX said:

I have tried the APS-C mode with the SL 2 . Using CL lenses there seems to be no possibility to switch it off - it is choosen automatically,

Why would it allow you to select full sensor usage for a lens that has been designed to cover an APS-C sized sensor?
When using the 90-280, and the 280 doesn't have quite the reach you need, you can just crop to suit the shot afterwards

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fixedwheel said:

 

Why would it allow you to select full sensor usage for a lens that has been designed to cover an APS-C sized sensor?
When using the 90-280, and the 280 doesn't have quite the reach you need, you can just crop to suit the shot afterwards

It is useful when the moving subject you're after is magnified 1.5 times in the EVF. The AF tracking success chances increases proportionally. You have to be a user of AFC Tracking to see the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

It is useful when the moving subject you're after is magnified 1.5 times in the EVF. The AF tracking success chances increases proportionally. You have to be a user of AFC Tracking to see the point.

How can the tracking success increase just because the EVF is magnified? The TL lens is only covering the APS-C sized part of the sensor, therefore the number of focus points is actually REDUCED because there are fewer being covered by the lens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is that using the APS-C setting with 280 focal length or below down to around 190 mm   results in an angle of view which equals 1,5 times that with FF use and cannot be reached in full format.  And  this is seen in the EVF on the full screen. and this makes composition easier than cropping in post processing. Therefore the effect is roughly the same as using this lenses with the CL, but the  usability with the SL 2 is better than with the CL. There is lost a little bit of resolution - 20 MP instead of 24 - but this is not such an  important thing. And this combination is sealed against water. I hope that my english is good enough to express this in an understandable way. Unfortunately I am not a native speaker of this language.

Edited by HeinzX
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kodachrome said:

Is there a way to turn off the APS-C crop mode on the SL1 when using a TL lens ?

It is not possible because the lens does not cover full frame. The TL lenses are APS-C lenses, therefor if you were able to turn off APS-C mode the image would not fill the frame

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HeinzX said:

The point is that using the APS-C setting with 280 focal length or below down to around 190 mm   results in an angle of view which equals 1,5 times that with FF use and cannot be reached in full format.  And  this is seen in the EVF on the full screen. and this makes composition easier than cropping in post processing. Therefore the effect is roughly the same as using this lenses with the CL, but the  usability with the SL 2 is better than with the CL. There is lost a little bit of resolution - 20 MP instead of 24 - but this is not such an  important thing. And this combination is sealed against water. I hope that my english is good enough to express this in an understandable way. Unfortunately I am not a native speaker of this language.

Heinz, your English far exceeds my capabilities in any other language, so my apologies for coming across as blunt.

In the SL2 manual, at least the English version that I am reading, on p110 it talks about magnifying the EVF, but going back to standard when pressing the shutter button. I can see what you mean about getting extra "effective" focal length when using lenses designed to cover the full sensor of the SL2.

There is quite a difference between that, and using TL lenses though.

As I don't yet have any native L mount lenses, I can't double check exactly what it does when switching the crop mode on and off with a native lens.

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...