Sign in to follow this  
j.haden165

Leica M2 Shutter Speed Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, I've encounter a strange "bug" with my M2

I took a shot, then cocked the shutter so i would be ready for the next shot, but I didnt fire right away but let it be. When I took the next shot after some times, the shutter speed seems to be slower than the speed indicate in the shutter speed dial

I make some test shots at 1/125 and 1/60, cocked the shutter, wait for couple of minute, then click the button. When the m2 fire, i believe it was fired at 1/15 or 1/8
I took one more test at 1/8, wait 3 minutes then fire, the shutter speed then fired at 1/4. The more i'd wait, the slower the speed. For example, 1 minute then it was slowered by 1 speed, 3 minutes for 3 speed... (not exact numbers)
I've also tested to change the speed before/after advance the level, and before/after waiting for the next frame. But it seemed that the problem still remained

I didn't have any trouble with the machine when clicked the button right after I cocked the shutter, but i really want to be always ready for the next frame. 

Have anyone encountered the same problem? Is there anyway to fix it? 

Edited by j.haden165

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

It needs a CLA. Send it to DAG.

Yes, definitely :D But I also want to know about what caused the issue, so I could avoid in future operation

CLA?  I really like Youxin Ye.  He will have the camera back to you in seven days.  And unlike some Leica techs, he answers email promptly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, j.haden165 said:

Yes, definitely :D But I also want to know about what caused the issue, so I could avoid in future operation

General wear and tear and old lubricants most likely. Nothing you can avoid as such. 

I revived an M3 that had been in an attic for 25-30 years. After the first CLA the camera was nominally working but had a similar problem, the first picture I would take had a slower speed than expected. Had to have the shutter curtain replaced the rubber portions were sticking, after having sat unused in an uncontrolled environment. Had a similar problem with my M2s also. But that was from using one for 30 years and another for 20 or so.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By M8range
      Video Mode question: (Leica SL)
      Does anyone know how to set the 'shutter speed' to slower than the 'fps rate' in video mode to create 'shutter/motion blur effects' in camera?
      It seems to only go as low as the fps rate no matter what I try, perhaps someone has a work-around or tip?
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Yeedah
      Hi!
      I recently purchased a used Leica Q manufactured early 2018. 
      When I try shooting in night, both "low iso + long exposure", and "high iso + short exposure" captured in DNG file shows annoying banding, and even some unwanted color points, like the images shown below.
      Is this a native camera issue? Or this camera sensor is defected : (

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Txiki
      Hi guys,
      this is my first post, regarding my first Leica which I bought on Ebay.
      It was listed as having an issue with 1sec shutter speed being way too fast, which I didn't care much because it is a shutter speed I don't think I am going to use at all. I received the camera, really good cosmetic condition btw, and I noticed that all slow shutter speeds, below 1/30sec were off, way too fast. After googling the problem, I found that that can happen after a long time without being used, and that firing the shutter several times throughout all the shutter speed range might work. So I did it and it worked, for all shutter speeds except 1/8 and 1/30. I compared it side by side with my Canon 7 and they were the same-ish by the naked eye. And now, I have just tried something and if I fire the shutter with the camera upside down, 1/8 sounds ok, halfway between 1/15 and 1/4. And I promise I haven't been drinking or anything 🤨
      So, today, I have contacted by email 4 Leica repair shops in the UK. Two of them have replied, one that they cannot do it because they don't have spare parts, and the other that I should return the camera and ask for a refund. So I went to the only Leica repair shop that I know in London, which I am not going to say its name. So, I got there, the guy took the camera, he wasn't listening to what I was saying at first, started firing the shutter and making appreciative faces saying, yes, slow speeds are ok. Until I got him to listen to what I was saying, and then he saw the problem with 1/8 and 1/30. He told me the camera would need servicing (now the finder needed service too because it wasn't a clean view..., but also that they wouldn't probably need any spare parts), which is fine, normal price for a CLA for a Leica. But he also advised I returned the camera to the seller. So I don't really know what to do. The camera has that problem, it looks in good cosmetic condition, and, whatever they say, I been after one of these cameras for like a year, and I have never seen one in this cosmetic condition for less than a grand. And I bought this one for £750. I have asked the seller if they would refund me the cost of the repair, but they haven't said yes, just have asked me to check if I want and let them know.
      So, what do you guys, as Leica users, think? Just a honest, and blunt if necessary, opinion.
      Cheers

• By mrs_apeak
      Hello everyone ! 
      I just noticed that I have traces of wear on the hot shoe connectors of my leica Q2. I have used it only very rarely and with leica flashes. Has anyone noticed the same thing? Do I have to worry about it? Everything works very well but I still find it weird ..
      Thanks for your help ! 

• By leic.a.nik
      Moin zusammen,

ich habe seit ca. 4 Wochen das Problem, dass meine M2 manchmal den Film beim Spannen nicht richtig transportiert. 
      Die Bilder überlappen sich dann. Man merkt es beim Spannen, der Spannhebel springt dann.
      Der Fehler tritt meistens auf wenn der Zähler bereits bei 20 -25 Bildern steht. Ich habe das Gefühl, dass der Film zwischendurch die Spannung verliert oder über die Zähne rutscht. 
      Ist jemanden so etwas schon mal passiert oder kennt sogar jemand die Lösung?
      Im Moment elf ich mir in dem ich ein Bild mit Objektivdeckel mache wenn ich merke dass der Film nicht transportiert wurde. 
      Gerade bei teuren oder alten Schätzen verliere ich so meist 4-6 Bilder was ehrlich gesagt sehr schade ist.
      Gerade bei Filmen wie einen Fuji Superia Reala 100 oder Kodak Ektachrome 160t 

Die kleine ist mein Ein und alles. 
      Bitte helft mir. 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen 

Nik