Leica M2 Shutter Speed Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, I've encounter a strange "bug" with my M2

I took a shot, then cocked the shutter so i would be ready for the next shot, but I didnt fire right away but let it be. When I took the next shot after some times, the shutter speed seems to be slower than the speed indicate in the shutter speed dial

I make some test shots at 1/125 and 1/60, cocked the shutter, wait for couple of minute, then click the button. When the m2 fire, i believe it was fired at 1/15 or 1/8
I took one more test at 1/8, wait 3 minutes then fire, the shutter speed then fired at 1/4. The more i'd wait, the slower the speed. For example, 1 minute then it was slowered by 1 speed, 3 minutes for 3 speed... (not exact numbers)
I've also tested to change the speed before/after advance the level, and before/after waiting for the next frame. But it seemed that the problem still remained

I didn't have any trouble with the machine when clicked the button right after I cocked the shutter, but i really want to be always ready for the next frame. 

Have anyone encountered the same problem? Is there anyway to fix it? 

Edited by j.haden165

I revived an M3 that had been in an attic for 25-30 years. After the first CLA the camera was nominally working but had a similar problem, the first picture I would take had a slower speed than expected. Had to have the shutter curtain replaced the rubber portions were sticking, after having sat unused in an uncontrolled environment. Had a similar problem with my M2s also. But that was from using one for 30 years and another for 20 or so.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com