Help with new SL2

James1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got it yesterday and also bought the Vario Elmarit 24-90 lens. I’m coming from the Q2. I wonder if someone here would be kind enough to offer a quick cheat/guide as to the best menu settings for portrait and landscape photography. I’m finding that photos aren’t showing the kind of details that I expected when imported into Lightroom. When I zoom in on the imported dng file there isn’t the clarity I would like (skin tone for example gets blurry very quickly upon cropping). Perhaps I’m doing something wrong. I have tried in full auto and also tweaking ISO/AF etc but I can’t find the sweet spot yet. ISO Max is set to 6400, AFs, AF mode is field. 
I’m aware this makes me sound like an amateur (which I am) but perhaps one of you would be generous enough to share your perfect settings with me...

exposure bracketing could be the answer...?

thanks in advance. 

Well, maybe you should post one of the images in question and a 100% crop. In the meantime, switch on IBIS. This camera is a lot heavier and cumbersome than the Q. You might be seeing motion blur. The settings you are tweaking won't have any impact on image blur. That is solely determined -in the focal plane- by focus accuracy, subject movement and camera stability, and, as a derivative of the last two factors: shutter speed. Outside the focal plane, aperture comes in as it controls DOF.

So: hold the camera still and choose a suitable shutter speed and aperture, adjust ISO if needed. Only  move to automatic settings once you understand what the camera (and you!) are doing. This is a more demanding camera than the (albeit superb) point and shoot like the Q.

Greetings James, "details" - if I understand correctly what you are looking for - downgrade with (lack of) light. Light is temperature and intensity. Parameters you want to focus on to start with is ISO. You might want to set ISO 100, and check in normal daylight conditions if you are happy with the "details" you get. Also are you sure about your Lightroom settings? What you see on your screen is an interpretation of the DNG files according to some settings in the software... To see if the LR settings are correct, do a file / export full size at max jpg quality and compare that exported file to what you had in Lightroom... If you need more help do not hesitate to post here some exemples, lots of forum contributors are very knowledgeable and might help you understand why you are not 100% satisfied.