Ibanez

Lines on negatives - Leica iiia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the FILCA and IXMOO cassettes almost exclusively in a few different screwmount bodies, and prefer them as of course I am very familiar with the issue of the film running through at a slight angle when using modern, pre-loaded cassettes. And I've had streaks appear a few times, looking very similar to Ibanez's results. But I have never been able to connect such streaks to the use of one type of cassette or another. However, they did disappear after curtain cleaning (or replacement) during routine service.

Ibanez, when shooting your next roll you should carefully note each exposure's details. Dedicate a roll just to this purpose.  In each frame include a lot of open sky or similar, so as to be able to easily see streaks. Make sure to go through all the normal speeds (i.e., not the slow speeds set with the slow speed dial). For example, shoot the same scene repeatedly, changing the shutter and aperture each time to give the same exposure, etc. For every single frame make a note of the shutter speed used. I've done this and it often revealed a correlation between the streaky frames and - almost always - the highest 1 or 2 shutter speeds.

James

Edited by Kleinkamera
clarification

12 hours ago, 250swb said:

I think that perhaps you need to come up with a reasonable reason for streaks to occur if the cassette is the cause and not perhaps conflate it with other possible and coincidental issues. The whole process of analysing problems with film faults is to not assume anything and one by one eliminate potential causes. So for example never assume light leaks are the cause of streaks if you've also just changed the type of developer. Don't assume scratches on negatives are the camera if you've just changed how you dry the film, etc.

So, the OP says the streaks are intermittent, how will the cassette cause intermittent streaks and what is the physical connection between the tin that holds the film and streaks? With a modern cassette you have a permanent felt light trap, with the Leica cassette you open up the trap door. In either case where are processing or exposure streaks coming from? Well ok, the OP is declining to tell us much but those streaks would commonly be called under exposure or under processing, so light leaks are out of the question aren't they? Which kind of rules out the cassette, because after it leaves the cassette the film is in the hands of other parts of the camera and subsequent processing, no?

I have accepted that in this case that the OP has posted the cassette has nothing to do with the fault.

The reason that I have outlined the cassette issue is to help other members who may have tried everything (as I did) and STILL are having black lines on their prints.

I my case this was absolutely caused by the use of a modern cassette in my 111a and the use of the FILCA completely cured it. 

I am not imagining the problem as I had to spend hours in photoshop with the heal/clone brushes to get rid of all the lines after scanning negatives.  It is not feasible to print the negatives in an enlarger as the lines are just way too prevalent and would require airbrushing to remove!

I am not looking to defend how or why they occur I am just outlining my experience with a modern cassette in MY 111a and the result was and still is that it gives horrendous tramlines over the negative.

My theory is that the angle of the film is different and somehow which I am at an absolute loss to explain as I have stripped the camera down by removing the body and cleaned and polished every surface that the film could possibly touch  (simple on the 111a) sent it for a professional CLA with sample negatives to illustrate the the fault but STILL with a modern cassette it puts tramlines down the negatives that give black lines on the positive which to me suggest that this is not a scratch issue BUT a pressure issue whereby the film is being squeezed in some way. I had exactly the same issue with a Hasselblad film back and that was some residue on one of the rollers that wasn't scratching the film but again was pressuring it at some point and the result was black lines on the print.

This is not in my imagination - I wish it was because to me the 111a is one of the nicest of the LTM's and it's a shame that MY camera has to be used with the FILCA. Not a really big problem and I can live with it as I have about 10 FILCAS so I just load them up in a session and use them accordingly. The FILCA and the M equivalent IXMOO anyway are superbly made and I like to use them so it's not an issue.

I posted this not to get into an argument with implications that it wasn't happening because it clearly does but simply to help other members who have had the same issue. To me I would say that the OP's problem is either down to a processing error or a scanning issue. The shutter curtains can obviously cause such issues but to cause the level shown here they would have to be in a truly terrible state and as is stated by the OP this doesn't affect all the frames - the fact that it doesn't happen over the whole film is something that to me is significant and I fully accept that shutter speed can play a part in this (as per my 111G that has an irregular shutter at fast speeds) but I don't think this is the issue here. It could of course be that there are a couple or more faults and issues here and only a systematic analysis of when and how it occurs will sort it.

It is a pain and as I have previously stated I nearly gave up on my 111a until by accident when using a FILCA, I found that the negatives and film positioning was perfect - I do however in retrospect think that this is NOT the OP's problem BUT as with one of our members in Germany (we communicated and sorted it together) who was experiencing exactly the same problem as me with his own 111a - when you have tried everything you have to think "out of the box" and try what at first appears to be irrational and not possible.

This is why I posted about the FILCA and 111a - not to be a "johnny know all" but to try and help and offer a solution when everything else has been tried!!

Regards Paul Mac

Edited by paulmac

On 11/30/2019 at 9:14 PM, Ibanez said:

Hi all 

so I recently purchased a Leica iiia and an Elmar 5cm 3.5. For a camera that is nearly 90 years old, it is in great condition. 

I have put two rolls of film through it, and asked my film lab to develop at ISO 800. When I get the negatives and prints back, most of the roll is fine, but a couple of the shots have these strange lines on them. This takes place on both of the rolls of film. See attached for a photo where this happens. 

The lines are visible on the negs and scans. Is this a development issue, or an issue with the shutter? 

Cheers

sam

I’ve had similar problems on my negatives from my IIIf on recent films, I have since removed the lens and given the body a good few blasts of air with the rocket blower and got a lot of fluff out by the shutter curtains so hopefully this will have cured the problem. I still need to run a test film through the camera yet to see if it has sorted the problem out. 

there could be many reasons for black stripes. I concentrate on those resulting from camera, this is something what I understand in contrary to developing and scanning.

If you see stripes between the frames, along the whole film than (most probably) film pressure plate is scratching it, or especially if scratches are at the beginning or end of the film than there is something in film transport causing scratches.
If the stripes occur on selected frames, faster speeds and on bright places than shutter/shutter curtains is most probable cause. The slid width on screwmount is approx 1,2mm at 1/1000, 2,4 at 1/500, etc. on properly adjusted camera. Photo below shows example of curtain producing thin black stripes at higher speeds. Another reason could be that the edge is uneven, happens especially on replaced curtains if not properly glued. Black stripes will be wider then.

Problem occurs however with higher speeds only, when the "hairs" cover the whole or major part of the slid. There could be some temporarily solutions for this problem but the ultimate is to replace affected curtain.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:14 PM, Ibanez said:

Hi all 

so I recently purchased a Leica iiia and an Elmar 5cm 3.5. For a camera that is nearly 90 years old, it is in great condition. 

I have put two rolls of film through it, and asked my film lab to develop at ISO 800. When I get the negatives and prints back, most of the roll is fine, but a couple of the shots have these strange lines on them. This takes place on both of the rolls of film. See attached for a photo where this happens. 

The lines are visible on the negs and scans. Is this a development issue, or an issue with the shutter? 

Cheers

sam

development