Jump to content

Problem with magnification in autofocus mode


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I had a look at the SL2 in the Leica shop in Bangkok. I noticed some problems with focusing when using magnification, and would like to hear if there are anyone else that have noticed it. 

I used AFs and 1 point AF field size. When I used magnification the AF crosshair point disappeared. If I tried to focus, it would do so, but at the same time jump out of magnification mode. 

We tried everything we could to see if there was a fix, and also reset the camera settings, but to no effect.

On the SL1 the crosshair is there when using magnification as it should be, and the camera will stay in magnification mode after focus is achieved, so that it is possible to check if focus is correct before shooting.

Is there anyone who own the SL2 who have had the same experience?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds logical as the magnification is not locking AF or releasing the trigger. Therefore the crosshair disappears when the magnification view is selected and the reverts back to non magnified when the shutter release button is pressed. If the magnified view does not revert back, it would confuse the user. The same happens to M10 except the M camera allow focusing in magification view due to the need for a clear view for manual focus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doesn't make sense at all. If I use autofocus, and want to use magnification to make sure I get a precise focus (with precise I also mean the location of the focus point), the crosshair disappear and make it impossible to know where the camera is focusing. With the SL1 things are working as they should, so maybe I should just cancel my preorder for the SL2 and stay with my old camera :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JCR33 said:

Not sure if you tried this button. 

With my SL35SC, I can point and find where I like to focus, half press the shutter softly then you press it to see.

Index finger and middle finger?  Is that more comfortable or quicker for you than using joystick?

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Index finger and middle finger?  Is that more comfortable or quicker for you than using joystick?

Jeff

I use middle finger.

Peter seems to have issues magnifying; somehow with SL2 the joystick does not magnify with SL lenses. I double checked again the joystick works fine on M or R lenses with manual focus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

middle finger too
 

[AFs] If you focus with half shutter push +  hold the joystick in and then manually focus the lens, magnification is enabled

 

and note: the reason M and R lenses work is because they are MF lenses and AF can’t be enabled. SL lenses also work when in MF mode

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Strange to have the need to magnify on AF. I generally take the shot and check the pics in playback and that is when I need the magnification view to confirm focus. Why check the focus before the shot (unless manual focusing using focus peaking) and miss the shot?

Agree, It’s much faster to just focus manually.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was expecting the same  as Peter Griebel: the possibility to place the crosshair very precise through magnification while in AF mode. (The D-Lux in AF spot mode automatically shows a magnification for doing so!).  Overall:  the SL2 is a wonderful camera.

And thanks for all the tips and tricks in this forum for using the SL2 and getting to know it’s functionality.

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

I completely agree with Peter Gabriel.

For me the only reason to get a second camera (after my M10-R which is fully manual), is to use the Autofocus.

It seems completely absurd not to be able to magnify and be able to be really precise on where to pin point the focus.

Let's say with an SL lens at 1.4, you want the eye to be razer sharp not to miss the shoot. Not possible if you cannot zoom in before making the focus (after test this will lead to a zone that's in focus but not just the eye as I would expect). For a macro lens that would be even more necessary.

Has anyone found a solution to the above ? If this is not possible I will shy away from this camera and chose another one that can provide this ability.

Thanks

Joss

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JossLCK said:

I completely agree with Peter Gabriel.

For me the only reason to get a second camera (after my M10-R which is fully manual), is to use the Autofocus.

It seems completely absurd not to be able to magnify and be able to be really precise on where to pin point the focus.

Let's say with an SL lens at 1.4, you want the eye to be razer sharp not to miss the shoot. Not possible if you cannot zoom in before making the focus (after test this will lead to a zone that's in focus but not just the eye as I would expect). For a macro lens that would be even more necessary.

Has anyone found a solution to the above ? If this is not possible I will shy away from this camera and chose another one that can provide this ability.

Thanks

Joss

 

I have no problem focusing manual on the SL2 at 0.95 to M10-P even without magnifying. If you learn to know the camera you can do it with SL lenses in AF and Manuel fine-tune . Even if the crosshair AF point is already accurate and very good.

I can not speak fro the Sl 601, I never use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2021 at 1:04 AM, Photoworks said:

I have no problem focusing manual on the SL2 at 0.95 to M10-P even without magnifying. If you learn to know the camera you can do it with SL lenses in AF and Manuel fine-tune . Even if the crosshair AF point is already accurate and very good.

I can not speak fro the Sl 601, I never use it.

I do not see the point of getting an SL camera if it's not to use the auto focus ... in this case just use an M camera ?

My issue is that I compare my use of the EVF (Electronic view finder) on my M camera, and I have the ability to zoom in and nail focus then.

The only reason why I would get an SL is to use auto focus.

Edited by JossLCK
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JossLCK said:

I do not see the point of getting an SL camera if it's not to use the auto focus ... in this case just use an M camera ?

My issue is that I compare my use of the EVF (Electronic view finder) on my M camera, and I have the ability to zoom in and nail focus then.

The only reason why I would get an SL is to use auto focus.

Initially I got the SL2 to use with Noctilux 0.95, and some AF lenses followed.
The M10 is a cute camera and it has his place, but it not practical for commercial work. The EVF on the M10 is a crutch but a terrible experience. Low res, delay between photos, rolling shutter.

Leica offers special lenses like the Noctilux, and they work even better on SL2 with the beautiful  EVF.

I find that SL2 with SL lenses sometimes grab focus where you don't want and it is hard to refocus on the person and not the background .

A rotation of focus ring of SL lens while pressing half way the shutter will give you magnified view and precise manual focus.

I mostly use the SL in the studio where full control is required 

here is an image that gives  you a lens-look not achievable with SL lenses.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...