Leica flagship camera

Dsauro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious.....do readers of this forum as well as the SL forum still consider the S line the flagship line of Leica Camera’s?  It appears that the SL line is the incubator line for new and upgraded tech.  Given the absence of new glass, in the S ecosystem, I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts as to the current S line positioning.

The S is still the flagship as its sensor is 50% or so bigger than the SL. This results in greater accutance and a larger dynamic range. The color palette is also extraordinary. I have printed up to 72 inches wide without any loss of detail.

The S lenses are easily the best in class in the MF world. Yes, some of the SL lenses are better (i.e. the zooms) but one simply crops about 10% of a 30-90mm zoomlens picture adn voila- identical results to the SL zoom!

It is true that Leica is putting more into the SL because that is where the future revenue stream is most likely to be!

The S is for a small niche of professional and serious amateurs. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I think the intent was to have the S lead the Leica product line in MP, even apart from sensor size.  But the S3’s (64MP) delay from the originally announced Spring, 2019 intro date has since allowed both the Q2 and SL2 to move past the 37.5 MP S007. I think that diminishes to a degree the ‘flagship’ status of the S system, but not nearly as much as the concerns imagined due to delays, new lens inactivity , the AF motor fiasco, the sinking used prices, and the lack of communications. If and when an S3 emerges, I’m sure Leica will market it as the flagship (price will demand that), but clearly some of the luster is off.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dsauro said:

Curious.....do readers of this forum as well as the SL forum still consider the S line the flagship line of Leica Camera’s?  It appears that the SL line is the incubator line for new and upgraded tech.  Given the absence of new glass, in the S ecosystem, I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts as to the current S line positioning.

I don't even use the light meter in my S let alone any of the other 'tech'.

As for the lenses, the S has all the lenses it needs.

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Megapixels = resolution, one part of the whole chain of important features and qualities that make a photograph.  Medium format has never been a state of the art camera format but resolution has been one of it's largest advantages.   At this time I would not purchase the lens/cameras/accessories again but it doesn't give up much in resolution to  the SL2 and Q2, the images are great out of each and everyone of the Leica systems today.   Certainly there is a convergence of image quality for most uses from phones to medium format.  

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I think the intent was to have the S lead the Leica product line in MP, even apart from sensor size.  But the S3’s (64MP) delay from the originally announced Spring, 2019 intro date has since allowed both the Q2 and SL2 to move past the 37.5 MP S007. I think that diminishes to a degree the ‘flagship’ status of the S system, but not nearly as much as the concerns imagined due to delays, new lens inactivity , the AF motor fiasco, the sinking used prices, and the lack of communications. If and when an S3 emerges, I’m sure Leica will market it as the flagship (price will demand that), but clearly some of the luster is off.

Jeff

That is a fair and accurate assessment.

LEICA, we know you are reading this so PLEASE make sure the S3 is a real improvement especially in auto focus....

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Actually I consider the M as the flagship camera - it is the archetypal camera and Leica's signature.

Same here. 

The S certainly has its place in the scheme of things as does the SL.  But the M camera is and always will be the heart and soul of Leica.  The M line is the company's legacy. 

In spite of Leica's other endeavors, the M line is still relevant and viable.  It is a shame that Mr. Puts cannot still see that.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If "flagship" is taken to mean representative and standing in for the whole company, then it's the M. It's what Leica still features the most on its media and promo materials.

If "flagship" is taken to mean biggest and meanest (its original naval sense), then it's the S.

The flagship of any navy is the ship that flies the flag of the Commander in Chief.
The official flagship of the First Sea Lord is HMS Victory, launched in 1765. One can hardly call her the biggest and meanest of the British Navy. That is surely HMS Queen Elisabeth. :lol:.
Having said that, HMS Victory is presently the only battleship in the British Navy, being the oldest commissioned ship in the world.

Even  Nelson regularly shifted his flag to a frigate for various missions, and the Victory was 40 years old and obsolete in certain aspects at the Battle of Trafalgar.

• Like 1

I notice at least that the S is at the top of the webpage again...for awhile it seemed to be disappearing, but hopefully they are putting it up there again to gear up for the impending S3 launch. I wish we could get some information...I am extremely tempted by the SL2, but it seems unwise to take the funds for it away from the S3 fund, if it is released at an attainable price (at least after trade ins). It would be nice to know the timeline and cost structure. The absence of that information is a bit frustrating. 

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

The flagship of any navy is the ship that flies the flag of the Commander in Chief.
The official flagship of the First Sea Lord is HMS Victory, launched in 1765. One can hardly call her the biggest and meanest of the British Navy. That is surely HMS Queen Elisabeth. :lol:.
Having said that, HMS Victory is presently the only battleship in the British Navy, being the oldest commissioned ship in the world.

Even  Nelson regularly shifted his flag to a frigate for various missions, and the Victory was 40 years old and obsolete in certain aspects at the Battle of Trafalgar.

The HMS Victory was indeed 40 years old but was not obsolete.

There had been some technical improvements in the 1780s especially in the French navy but theres were obviated by the French revolution when the bulk of the naval corps fled..

The RN's key to success was superiority in crew quality, tactics and frequent refitting...

Victory walloped several French ships of the line in 1805... Nice job for an obsolete ship.

It will be interesting to see the final specs of the S3.  I used the SL for a long time - and love the ability to exchange lenses with M lenses, R lenses, S lenses and Nikon AIS lenses.  But most people have easier access to 35mm lenses - and they are less expensive the medium format.  However, I just shot a series at the beach again with the S007 and I had several images that required essentially no adjustment in Lightroom - the colors are spectacular and the detail astonishing.  That said, the SL with the new sensor looked enticing, but it no longer has the GPS built it.  I don't know about others, but I do not like that change.  Many places I go in the national parks, or out of country, I do not use a cell phone and could not get a signal for the GPS.  In any event, I am hoping the S3 does not follow suit and leaves the GPS inside.  Also hoping that the base ISO remains at 100, which is great for high brightness, like the beach.

23 hours ago, Outdoorimages said:

It will be interesting to see the final specs of the S3.  I used the SL for a long time - and love the ability to exchange lenses with M lenses, R lenses, S lenses and Nikon AIS lenses.  But most people have easier access to 35mm lenses - and they are less expensive the medium format.  However, I just shot a series at the beach again with the S007 and I had several images that required essentially no adjustment in Lightroom - the colors are spectacular and the detail astonishing.  That said, the SL with the new sensor looked enticing, but it no longer has the GPS built it.  I don't know about others, but I do not like that change.  Many places I go in the national parks, or out of country, I do not use a cell phone and could not get a signal for the GPS.  In any event, I am hoping the S3 does not follow suit and leaves the GPS inside.  Also hoping that the base ISO remains at 100, which is great for high brightness, like the beach.

I generally know where i am when I take pictures so the loss of a GPS function is no great shakes.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:08 PM, Outdoorimages said:

GPS it will (likely) have:https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/09/leica-s3-medium-format-dslr-announced/.

• Like 1