EVF/LCD switching repair - Parental Warning - some images may be distressing to Camera Fondlers

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My CL didn't switch automatically between LCD and EVF any more,  so I sent it in.
As it turned out, the eye-sensor had shifted. Given that the camera just returned from a trip through Tanzania in rather adverse conditions, it was not pristine to put it mildly ;) when sent in and it had received a couple of shrewd knocks, so it came as no surprise that Leica refused guaranty. I did protest gently, but success could not be expected. Anyway, the estimate came to 375 Euro, which I of course accepted.

However, just now, the camera was evidently opened up for repair and CS revised the cost to 135 Euro. :) I find that really honest and customer-friendly.

• Like 13

I had a problem with the EVF and LCD switching from the day I got my CL, at first I just thought it was the way the camera worked, then it went really bad especially after a trip to the wilds of Washington DC. Kept cleaning the EVF sensor but it didn't seem to do much good, contacted Leica and sent it to them on warranty. Seems there was a faulty sensor. I'll still clean the EVF sensor, but I don't have to do it three times a day, like before I sent out the camera. 

• Like 1

Great story jaapv, always good with stuff that’s built to be repaired. Seems to go hand in hand with quality imho. 

I have a problem with the shutter button not reaching the “last switch” (releasing the shutter) when pressing. I solved it with putting a 3M bumpon on the button, which makes it easier to press all the way down. Let’s see how long this workaround holds... ;) 

Well, I think CS was right to withhold guaranty in first instance and very nice  to charge for CLA only afterwards.

The camera went straight from my backpack to UPS in this state:

The mud was rather sticky.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to EVF/LCD switching repair - Parental Warning - some images may be distressing to Camera Fondlers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No. (the ocular was clean BTW, I ain't that stupid ;))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...