MC-21 EF with TC-1401/2001 and Sigma lenses on S1R problem

tosvus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Has anyone seen this issue with the S1R/S1, using a MC-21 EF adapter, and either TC-1401 and/or TC-2001 on Sigma FF lenses, but always having the image in the camera be cropped due to Panasonic thinking it is an APS-C lens?? I have 3 lenses that can use this adapter: The Sigma 70-200 F2.8, Sigma 150-600 contemporary, and older Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OIS. All lenses work fine with the EF-adapter alone, showing I can shoot in 47MP, and use High-Res mode. However, as soon as I put either TC on in conjunction with any of these lenses, the camera reports it takes 20MP pictures, and High Res mode is disabled. Also at that point for obvious reasons, I cannot use 6K photo mode, with the message that "not available in APS-C mode". 

Is there a way to force it to work with FF? There is no reason it should not work as far as I know...

Thanks

Tom

• Like 1

Well, this is the response from Sigma - guess I will contact Panasonic next 😕

"Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. Our MC-21 adapter is not designed to be used with tele converters and only our Art, Sport, and Contemporary lenses are guaranteed to work."

PS: I think that is an unacceptable answer...

28 minutes ago, tosvus said:

Well, this is the response from Sigma - guess I will contact Panasonic next 😕

"Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. Our MC-21 adapter is not designed to be used with tele converters and only our Art, Sport, and Contemporary lenses are guaranteed to work."

PS: I think that is an unacceptable answer...

Well that's an interesting response from Sigma.   Not sure if this is helpful for you in any way but using the MC-21 (on S1) I have had no issue at all with Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II and Canon's 1.4 version II extender.   Of course no AF-C but AF-S, even face recognition works fine, not exactly quick with the extender but definitely useable.

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

Well that's an interesting response from Sigma.   Not sure if this is helpful for you in any way but using the MC-21 (on S1) I have had no issue at all with Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II and Canon's 1.4 version II extender.   Of course no AF-C but AF-S, even face recognition works fine, not exactly quick with the extender but definitely useable.

Thanks, much appreciated - I think unless there's a way to convince Panasonic to let us override the APS-C mode, that may be the way I need to go. Pretty ironic that I have to get a Canon teleconverter to get a working solution along with the Sigma adapter and lenses (possibly). I'll definitely look into that!

Edited by tosvus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tosvus said:

Thanks, much appreciated - I think unless there's a way to convince Panasonic to let us override the APS-C mode, that may be the way I need to go. Pretty ironic that I have to get a Canon teleconverter to get a working solution along with the Sigma adapter and lenses (possibly). I'll definitely look into that!

Hmmmm not sure how well the Canon extenders will work with the sigma Tele. I’m sure they would mount ok but further than that would try before you buy if possible

Ironic  indeed that canon Ef lens and converter works better than sigma ef with the Signa MC 21, not how the advertising reads.  Good luck hope you find an answer. 

23 hours ago, Boojay said:

Hmmmm not sure how well the Canon extenders will work with the sigma Tele. I’m sure they would mount ok but further than that would try before you buy if possible

Ironic  indeed that canon Ef lens and converter works better than sigma ef with the Signa MC 21, not how the advertising reads.  Good luck hope you find an answer. 

Thanks - yes, I am a bit worried - mostly what the optical degradation will be. Obviously the Sigma converters were made specifically to be optimized for the lenses I have, and the Canon's are  not. I will try to contact Panasonic to see if they can give us an option to override the mode. There is no reason why they can't let us choose to get the FF Raw, rather than Crop if we so choose. Other manufacturers do. If I can't get anywhere with them, I might just get rid of my teleconverters, try a Canon converter, and as a long goal, wait for a L-version of the 70-200 and 150-600, and swap them out.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, BernardC said:

That may be, but the same information is provided on the MC-21 web page.

Well, apparently one arm doesn't communicate well to the other, as Sigma shortly after provided a firmware update for the ef-adapter (something that Sigma previously said they could not do, as well as Sigma US apparently having no clue that this was being fixed by the engineers). 

Anyways, excellent news - tested it on one EF lens w/1.4x (so to be clear - S1R on firmware 1.3, Sigma MC-21 on 1.1, and the 150-600 updated to latest firmware using the usb firmware update module) - and the lens no longer is mistaken for a crop lens, so the full 46MP is output with teleconverter, plus it is possible to use High Resolution mode!

Sigma does not want to guarantee that it works with Canon lenses. I can understand that.
Still many do work.  And Sigma is still improving the MC-21, like it did with the MC-11. (The MC-11 now after 2 years or more even supports AFc.)

The adapters have no optical elements, so there can not be any degradation (at least not optical degradation).
Forget the old extenders from Sigma, preferable would be a native 400, 500  or 600 mm with L-mount extenders from Sigma. Or at least a 150-600 zoom. (quite affordable)

Edited by caissa