New MacBook Pro 2019 and Lightroom: 32 or 64GB?

peterv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, just a quick question.

I am planning to buy the new MacBook Pro 2019, should I go for 32 or 64GB RAM?

I have already made up my mind that I will choose the fastest processor and the biggest graphic card.

I am using Lightroom and Photoshop and you know, there are always a few Safari and Mail windows open, iTunes in the background, that sort of thing. I am replacing my mid 2012 MacBook Pro and I am hoping this new machine will last me another eight years, so keeping in mind that the machine should still be quite usable in say, five years time, 32 or 64 GB?

I am hoping this new machine will last me another eight years 😊

Thanks in advance!

I think 32 GB is more than enough for still images.  I don't do video so I can't comment on its needs.  Many serious photographers use a second monitor (~27 in) designed for graphics (Eizo, NEC, BenQ, etc).  If you plan to use an external monitor, you may also want to consider an external GPU graphics box with a man-sized graphics card.  Currently Photoshop does not fully utilize GPUs, but I hope that evolves soon.  While Apple sells the Blackmagic unit, it is limited to one of two AMD Radeon cards and is not upgradeable.  I found the Sonnet eGFX Box 650 to be a better value with a large selection of GPUs that will work with Macs.  These type of units are connected to the MacBook via Thunderbolt 3; the external monitor connects to the eGPU.

• Like 1

I agree that 32GB is enough for today. I'm not so sure it will be enough over the life of the laptop, though.   I recently upgraded my desktop and settled for 32GB because adding a second 32GB is about a 10 minute job.  Is the memory user upgradeable on the MacBook pro?  If not I'd consider going for 64GB.

• Like 1

Great laptop card.  I think Apple wants +$500 additional for the top graphics card with 24 CUs in the 16" MacBookPro.  But it is not a great desktop card.  A mid-line AMD WX 8200 has 56 CUs.  I would argue more stongly if Photoshop made better use of CUs, so you may be right that the graphics card in the computer is totally adequate.  But, as you say, it is not upgradable.  An eight year life is expected for this computer.

• Like 1

Yes, that's a thing, with USB-C.

I've been doing some researching because this is the first machine that I'm going to be working on that uses USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. It's a bit of a mess really and I didn't know that, but apparently not all USB-C cables are born equal and I find it very difficult to find just one cable that does all the protocols for data I'd like and ethernet and power delivery.

I find the hubs that do it all rather expensive and I think it's a shame and a missed opportunity actually that the USB-C cable that Apple includes with the 16 inch MacBook Pro is power and USB 2.0 only. I know the MBP has 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, but it would be nice to have just one cable coming from the hub going into the computer. Looks like that'll be another another few hundred euros for a good cable + hub.

• 1 year later...