Leica summicron 50mm F2.0 ”Safari Edition”, limited 500 pieces?

Erikvw

35 minutes ago, steamboat said:

I have never seen a photograph of this lens with the lens hood extended.

I found this one on Leica Store Miami's web site.  Not a Safari, but a 50 Cron with the lens hood extended.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I found this one on Leica Store Miami's web site.  Not a Safari, but a 50 Cron with the lens hood extended.

Great ..... many thanks. That’s what I’m talking about!!  I believe I will get the “Safari” 50mm. (LOL it’s NOT just the sunshade it’s a bunch of things like my V3 50 Summicron is ready for a break. It’s not worn out but.) Thanks again Logan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all — I did get the 50mm Summicron “Safari”. I bought it new from Leica USA. Nice lens. Quite a change from my 50mm Summicron V3. It’s the first *new* Leica/Leitz lens I’ve purchased since a new 90mm tele-Elmarit I bought in mid 1970’s. I have purchased new Leica cameras but usually buy used lenses so this is fun for me. For info the serial number is #4779XXX so it’s quite bit later than the serial numbers of the original Safaris earlier in this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, darylgo said:

I’m curious if others can comment on collectibility of this lens.  

I think we don't know at this point. If Leica continues to make the Safari cameras using the same color green and doesn't re-release these lenses for the M11 I think they will increase in collectibility.

As of now, I don't think they are collectible. The litmus test for me is availability long after release and I found all three available at multiple Leica dealers.

I bought the safari 28 and it looks great on my black cameras. I think the M11 Safari may be the first safari camera I buy (if it happens).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dkmoore said:

The litmus test for me is availability long after release and I found all three available at multiple Leica dealers.

Availability is plentiful, many available on ebay without much markup.  I am seeing many special editions (cameras mostly) that are readily available at dealers long after release, is this too much of a good thing?   Safari lenses are rather uncommon, so it is difficult to tell two years after the release (50mm) if it will be in demand and collectible in the future.  I am considering the purchase for use, here in the US the price of a new summicron is about the same as a used safari, and a new safari is a few hundred dollars more.  

5 hours ago, dkmoore said:

I think the M11 Safari may be the first safari camera I buy (if it happens).

Me too.  I love the chrome shutter speed dial against a darker background, the menu button et. al. are more clearly visible and the camera looks cool.....for those who like this sort of thing.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lins-Barroso said:

@Erikvw

Limited Production - 1000 pieces planned worldwide. The first lot of 500 is sold out. The second second lot is still on sale with many pieces available in the world.

How do you know? Where did you get your information?

just like the new released 50mm noctilux F 1.2,  where they say that a limited production of 100 silver lenses and 1500 black lenses are produced. I already red that this is not true either and that they make at least 200 silver and 1800 black ones. At the jonoslack item here on the LUF about this lens and confirmeer by Thorsten von Overgaard.

Edited by Erikvw

On 2/8/2021 at 6:38 AM, Erikvw said:

just like the new released 50mm noctilux F 1.2,  where they say that a limited production of 100 silver lenses and 1500 black lenses are produced. I already red that this is not true either and that they make at least 200 silver and 1800 black ones. At the jonoslack item here on the LUF about this lens and confirmeer by Thorsten von Overgaard.

@Erikvw, It was confirmed by LEICA's managers in Wetzlar and can be seen here too: https://www.meister-camera.com/en/product/9007/leica-summicron-m-2050mm-edition-safari

Edited by Lins-Barroso
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lins-Barroso said:

@Erikvw, It was confirmed by LEICA's managers in Wetzlar and can be seen here too: https://www.meister-camera.com/en/product/9007/leica-summicron-m-2050mm-edition-safari

Thank you for your reply. You are right, as written on this website. Not nice from Leica to tell in the beginning, that there will only be a limited amount of these lenses of 500 and now raise it to a 1.000 pieces. This is misinformation to the customers! 

But i do see, that this Firm increased the price from the original € 2.550,00 to € 2.990,00 

Edited by Erikvw
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 6:38 AM, Erikvw said:

@Erikvw, about the new Noctilux 50/1.2 Silver Limited Edition: they will be really only 100 units, because they are numbered until 100!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/23/2020 at 5:04 AM, jakontil said:

I have the safari, i notice it is made of aluminium instead of the brass like the silver edition, though heftier but sturdier imho

15 minutes ago, hannycatania said:

Hi everyone. But is 50Cron safari made of brass? From the weight specifications found on the internet, you wouldn't think so. Whoever owns it could respond.

Hi @hannycatania you can see the answer here from @jakontil

• Like 1