Leica summicron 50mm F2.0 ”Safari Edition”, limited 500 pieces?

Erikvw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week i visited the Leica store in Amsterdam and bought the Leica 50mm summicron F2.0 “Safari Edition”.

For long time this lens was sold out, but suddenly the got them delivered again. 
Leica communicates that only 500 pieces will be made.

My question is: are they producing more lenses of this type now, or is this a part of lenses of the 500 pieces they  made?
Did anybody here something about it? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Erikvw
  • Thanks 1

Really, would not be the first time (iirc, the first "limited declared - then not such" was the Summilux 35 aspherical) : I think one day or another the real figures will be disclosed… ;) : anyaway it will be a "special- no high number"  item, so enjoy it !!!  Rather strangely, they declared 1500 safari bodies and only 500 Summicrons… and not sold in kit, but separately… oh well, good for them to find and exploit such business niches with, surely, a good economical return : others can do the same :  in these days, for professional reasons, I saw Ferrari designers on work on a new "limited edition" model… (can't say anymore...B) )

Clearly, the "safari" connection has some kind of appeal, if items like this can be sold (maybe...) at the asked price : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Lens-Hood-for-Summicron-M-35mm-F2-Silver-Chrome-MP240-Safari-Version/192872771198?hash=item2ce81cee7e:g:yYAAAOSw5AhcQY2U

Edited by luigi bertolotti

7 hours ago, Erikvw said:

Last week i visited the Leica store in Amsterdam and bought the Leica 50mm summicron F2.0 “Safari Edition”.

For long time this lens was sold out, but suddenly the got them delivered again. 
Leica communicates that only 500 pieces will be made.

My question is: are they producing more lenses of this type now, or is this a part of lenses of the 500 pieces they  made?
Did anybody here something about it? 

I bought one a couple of months ago to use with my me typ240

vor 20 Minuten schrieb lawman:

... Doesn’t seem fair to those who bought out of 500 limited issue if Leica is making more ☹️

Based on the serial numbers, it will be easy to determine if a Safari Summicron comes from the first, the second or maybe even following lots.
Maybe someday collectors will pay a bonus for copies of the first batch.
Whether Leica will soon offer other M-lenses in Safari green, perhaps 28 and 90mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found it slightly annoying that only 500 would be produced alongside 1500 cameras.  I bought one a couple of weeks after my camera purchase. If memory serves, it wasn’t hugely more expensive than a standard cron.

Along these lines, when I went to record the model number and serial number of my Safari Summicron, I found no model number!!

Is this strange, or typical?

Regards,

Kevin

5 hours ago, KFo said:

I found it slightly annoying that only 500 would be produced alongside 1500 cameras.  I bought one a couple of weeks after my camera purchase. If memory serves, it wasn’t hugely more expensive than a standard cron.

Along these lines, when I went to record the model number and serial number of my Safari Summicron, I found no model number!!

Regards,

Kevin

Model number is 11824, according to the box… but indeed looks that isn't engraved on the body  (looking at the items you can find on the net), but so is for other standard Summicron 50 v5 (no product number, but the "made in Germany" writing is different from the Safari's one)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

9 hours ago, KFo said:

Regards,

Kevin

Mine has "11 824" on the box and my serial number is 04743xxx - nothing other than "MADE IN GERMANY" on the lens.   Does anyone have any idea of the original 500 serial numbers of this lens?

Kevin - is your lens (like mine) a somewhat darker shade of green than the M10P Safari camera body?   I was a little surprised that the color match wasn't perfect, since this is the first green lens Leica has made.

1 hour ago, lawman said:

Mine has "11 824" on the box and my serial number is 04743xxx - nothing other than "MADE IN GERMANY" on the lens.   Does anyone have any idea of the original 500 serial numbers of this lens?

Kevin - is your lens (like mine) a somewhat darker shade of green than the M10P Safari camera body?   I was a little surprised that the color match wasn't perfect, since this is the first green lens Leica has made.

The R series had some green lenses. I don’t think the serial number range has been published yet. They’re probably not all released.

17 hours ago, lawman said:

My lens is a pretty good color match for the camera body.  Looking at it this morning, I’d say it’s as close a match as I’d expect.  My wife tells me the difference is the Safari lens has a touch of grey in the green that the body lacks.  Honestly, I can’t call it darker, it’s just different.  Subtley.

I don’t have the box; I throw all that junk away.  My serial number is 4743XXX as well.  I bought mine in April 6th in the LA Leica store.

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by KFo

I got lens brand spanking new from leica oslo. Open the box make sure it’s the right lens, unfortunately never tasted for its focus 

flown back home only to find its focus is misaligned and couldn’t believe myself

quite a few cm away from the designated focus  and still sitting And start to collecting dust  

frm where i live sending ‘em back for focus adjustment would take weeks and months

im looking for locals who can professionally do focus adjustments 

the question is, is it hard to do and would there be any harms should i let the experienced non leica certified service to do it?  

17 hours ago, james.liam said:

It’s under warranty and someone else working on it might void the warranty. 

There’s a Leica Store Indonesia in Jakarta. Why don’t you ask them?

Hi james, they dont have the service center either and will eventually send ‘em over to singapore and its gonna take weeks to probably month for the delivery

hence i was actually looking for a shorter time of period to get it done

• 8 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, OR120 said:

I bought one a couple of months ago to use with my me typ240

I also have a grey M-E 240, and would love to see how the safari green 50mm cron looks mounted on the camera! 

Could you please take a photo and post here, or send the image directly to me?

22 minutes ago, martinot said:

I also have a grey M-E 240, and would love to see how the safari green 50mm cron looks mounted on the camera! 

Could you please take a photo and post here, or send the image directly to me?

Sent you a message - just an iPhone shot

Edited by OR120
  • Like 1