Wear on hot shoe connectors on leica Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone ! 

I just noticed that I have traces of wear on the hot shoe connectors of my leica Q2. I have used it only very rarely and with leica flashes. Has anyone noticed the same thing? Do I have to worry about it? Everything works very well but I still find it weird ..

Thanks for your help ! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It seems pretty unusual to me. I use flash often both the Leica SF-40 and a Canon MR 14-EX II Ring Flash. Mine is not showing any significant wear. 

I would probably look at the contacts very carefully as well as the flash contacts. Make sure the flash contacts are not stuck. They should be spring loaded. 

Here’s a photo of mine after 7 months. 
Good Luck!

Dan

3 hours ago, mrs_apeak said:

Thank you !

I just checked my SF26 and my SF40. They are not stuck but the contacts on the SF40 are stiffer. But really not sure if this is the cause of the unusual wear .

Maybe I should contact Leica about that when the warranty is still available..

Good idea. I’d send them the SF-40 and the Q2

It looks like condensation. When you come home after using it outside in the cold, there may be condensation under the cover. Take the cover off and have the contacts in the open when you enter when a big temp difference betwen outside and inside. It is only metal that conducts heat/cold enough to get "damaged".

Well I never used it in the cold yet so .. It can't be that . And I never seen that problem with any of my former cameras, even in winter .. 

I sent a message to Leica and they've noted the problem. I have to send them the Q2 for expertise . So we'll see.. 

Here's a photo where the wear is maybe more evident. 

Edited by mrs_apeak

2 hours ago, mrs_apeak said:

Well I never used it in the cold yet so .. It can't be that . And I never seen that problem with any of my former cameras, even in winter .. 

I sent a message to Leica and they've noted the problem. I have to send them the Q2 for expertise . So we'll see.. 

Here's a photo where the wear is maybe more evident. 

The amazing thing to me is that all four contacts seem to show some wear. I might have accepted a sticking electrode on a flash scratching one contact. All four makes no sense unless there’s a plating problem on the contacts themselves. All of them. Sending it to Leica is the right move. Especially while under warranty. 

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

The amazing thing to me is that all four contacts seem to show some wear. I might have accepted a sticking electrode on a flash scratching one contact. All four makes no sense unless there’s a plating problem on the contacts themselves. All of them. Sending it to Leica is the right move. Especially while under warranty. 

Exactly

1 hour ago, Gelatino said:

Seems as contacts are not of plain metal but plated.

That’s not surprising. Copper clad with nickel likely. Copper to be more conductive and cheaper. Nickel for a harder surface. I’m not a metallurgist, but that would be my guess.