Wide lens for low light conditions for CL camera. Suggestions?

eev776

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm trying to find a wide lens to shoot architectural photography, I shoot a lot in low light conditions. Feel free to share your experiences and opinion, see list of lenses below I'm considering any suggestions.

Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH Lens (I wish it was wider)

Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH. (not a good quality in low light even though it's f2.8)

Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH Lens (probably not best for low light)

Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH. Lens 11649 (probably not best for low light)

Not sure why you are judging some of the above as not good for low light.  I'm thinking if you are talking wide/architectural it's probably better that is with a tripod, would have thought for detail you would be looking to shoot at f5.6 and above, I don't have the lens but would expect the 11-23 to be best all round.  

You might want to read through this thread if you fancy super wide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Not sure why you are judging some of the above as not good for low light.  I'm thinking if you are talking wide/architectural it's probably better that is with a tripod, would have thought for detail you would be looking to shoot at f5.6 and above, I don't have the lens but would expect the 11-23 to be best all round.  

You might want to read through this thread if you fancy super wide.

Thanks for interesting article. I'm leaning more towards 11-23 or 23, I'm not always using tripod though.

I had Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6 and it was terrible lens, super noisy, colors are always wrong, lots of contrast and cold tint. I stopped using it and had to sell for really cheap. Build of the lens is great, but I would not recommend this lens to anybody.

Edited by eev776
  • Like 1

I have the 11-23 and it works fine for Architectural purposes. I resolves a wide angle of view with little distortion. I am able to get good results in most normal indoor lighting conditions. The CL looks good for me up to ISO 3200. I hope this helps. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, MDCT said:

I have the 11-23 and it works fine for Architectural purposes. I resolves a wide angle of view with little distortion. I am able to get good results in most normal indoor lighting conditions. The CL looks good for me up to ISO 3200. I hope this helps. Thanks!

11-23 becoming my choice number 1 so far, have you tried this lens for night photography?

• Like 1

TL2 + 23TL 1/25s f/2 ISO 12500 handheld

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, eev776 said:

Can you show me section at 100% ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This crop is with no defringing chromatic aberration correction on the  streetlight.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FrozenInTime said:

This crop is with no defringing chromatic aberration correction on the  streetlight.

Thanks a lot for sharing it, very helpful!

9 hours ago, eev776 said:

Thanks for interesting article. I'm leaning more towards 11-23 or 23, I'm not always using tripod though.

I had Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6 and it was terrible lens, super noisy, colors are always wrong, lots of contrast and cold tint. I stopped using it and had to sell for really cheap. Build of the lens is great, but I would not recommend this lens to anybody.

I'm puzzled by this. Noise is normally down to the camera, not the lens, and although a lens may have a colour cast, I haven't heard of any lens where it is bad enough that it can't be corrected with a simple import preset in post. I don't have this lens, but I have heard none of these criticisms from others who have used it, including @ramarren. I could understand distortion, but not colour and noise problems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm puzzled by this. Noise is normally down to the camera, not the lens, and although a lens may have a colour cast, I haven't heard of any lens where it is bad enough that it can't be corrected with a simple import preset in post. I don't have this lens, but I have heard none of these criticisms from others who have used it, including @ramarren. I could understand distortion, but not colour and noise problems.

I simply stating my personal experience with Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6, if you had a different experience with it, it's all yours, I had it for 3 years and I don't miss it.

1 hour ago, eev776 said:

I simply stating my personal experience with Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6, if you had a different experience with it, it's all yours, I had it for 3 years and I don't miss it.

Fine - I have no experience with it - just expressing my puzzlement, based on the views of others, and hoping you might elaborate - that's what these forums are for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marac said:

A Wide angle for low light, a splinter in the bottom for sure. I settled on the 11-23 because it works for me. The Sigma looks interesting though.

I think that is what I'm going to get, even though 23 f:2 seems very attractive, it's not wide enough for me.

Just now, eev776 said:

I think that is what I'm going to get, even though 23 f:2 seems very attractive, it's not wide enough for me.

Effectively a 35mm on the CL so, although considered to be a 'wide angle' lens, it is also not wide enough for me. I prefer the FOV from a 21mm (FF) so approx 14mm on the 11-23

I have a 35mm Mamiya 645 lens for my Mamiya ZD (medium format) that is approx a 21mm in FF terms.

• Thanks 1