Does M9 make sense for an M10 owner?

LPettigrew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, otto.f said:

I owned both and sold the M10. I will never sell my M9 and haven’t missed the M10 ever since. Reason: color. Results are more important than smooth operating. Not interested in ISO -000

Very interesting. I read more and more of similar experience, decision made like yours. 

I figured out lately how to use my M-E indoors and how to get not so much shadow cast from the flash. Don't need to push the ISO too high now and if in-camera WB set to flash it gives good colors.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Very interesting. I read more and more of similar experience, decision made like yours. 

I figured out lately how to use my M-E indoors and how to get not so much shadow cast from the flash. Don't need to push the ISO too high now and if in-camera WB set to flash it gives good colors.

Good to hear, although using flash on an M is like cursing in the church, as we say in Dutch 😁, but it can well be preferable above a bigger camera. Do you use a flash that you can’t tilt to the ceiling then?

Edited by otto.f

21 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Good to hear, although using flash on an M is like cursing in the church, as we say in Dutch 😁, but it can well be preferable above a bigger camera. Do you use a flash that you can’t tilt to the ceiling then?

For no shadow cast I have to use one which has 45 degree tilt. It is made for Leica flash with TTL but it works fine with manual mode as well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO is 160 at both. 

• Like 4

In the second image you see the typical and great neutrality of the M9 colors. But before we get into arguments here again - Stefan Daniel speaks about a placebo effect when people see color differences beween M9 and M10 🤣 - I will correct: I see that.

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have both. I use the M10 as my prime camera, but there are times when I know that I will have a very colorful shoot, where the light will be good, etc. and I take the M9. Also, when I am out in the middle of the day where there is harsh sun and deep black shadows.

I don't shoot film any more but think of my M9 as my film camera.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I can not see that the M9 and the M10 complement eachother particularly good as a ¨pair¨. Quite obviously two M9s or two M10s would represent better (more efficient) combos in parallel use.

However, I have both... The decision to keep the M9 after acquiring the M10 was made when the corrosion problem turned up... and I had the choice of ¨throwing¨ the M9 away... or pay full price for CCD replacement (I was too late for warranty repair). I chose to repair the M9. And now I really enjoy both... I guess for one main reason: They are & feel different ;)

PS: I will also ad that still after almost two years of owning the M10, I still find the handling (buttons, menues & wheel) of the M9 to be more pleasing. 

43 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

An M9 makes sense when you want more organic and film-like images. If you want images with a modern digital look who might pass as Nikon Z7s or any other modern camera, then the M10 makes more sense. 

I think, M9 sensor gives no noise on low ISO. But all CMOS sensors do. This is the next to only difference I see.

Colors and film is subjective. M9 reminds me my E6 DIY develop and scans. Limited DR under bright light. Not something I like...

Here is another film picture with M4-2 on Kodak Ultramax 400:

And here is M-E ISO 2500 picture:

:)

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, LPettigrew said:

Given its distinctive image look, I wonder if Leica M9 makes sense as a second camera for someone who already has M10?

Financial implications aside, does it feel like a very different camera or does the M10 cover almost everything the M9 could give you?

What you think?

I have never owned or used an M9, but IMHO it would be a good backup camera to an M10 at a reasonable price.

A person needs a backup camera, particularly when traveling...

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I have never owned or used an M9, but IMHO it would be a good backup camera to an M10 at a reasonable price.

A person needs a backup camera, particularly when traveling...

I wonder what kind of travels are those?

I have traveled across USA, Canada. Been in Poland, Russia, Finland , Germany, France,. Went to Uzbekistan, others countries. Never needed backup, especially now. With M-E or M4-2 and mobile phone, which has very good camera.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

I think, M9 sensor gives no noise on low ISO. But all CMOS sensors do. This is the next to only difference I see.

Colors and film is subjective. M9 reminds me my E6 DIY develop and scans. Limited DR under bright light. Not something I like...

Here is another film picture with M4-2 on Kodak Ultramax 400:

And here is M-E ISO 2500 picture:

:)

Love the output.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

To each his/her own. 

Ever since my experience in Mongolia in 2013 when my film MP crapped out and my M4-P saved the day, I insist on a backup camera for my travels. 

A phone is a phone, not a camera.  That's my outlook.  Others may think differently.

Agree. I took to China my M9P and my Fuji XT3 as a back up... couldn't afford to risk my trip images if something happen to the Leica and be camera-less other than my phone. Both saw action anyway.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ianman said:

Same for me but if I was going to Mongolia I'd take my  M4-P or  FM2 along for the ride!

If it wasn't a hassle all the film situation with airport X-Rays (plus buying film, processing, etc etc) I would absolutely LOVE to have an M4.

If a film M was not your backup but your only camera to go with, the hassle would be relative.

Last time I took my M9 without the hassle as a backup for my M7 (just in case a B&W film was in it in a situation where I wanted color)

Edited by otto.f

38 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

If it wasn't a hassle all the film situation with airport X-Rays (plus buying film, processing, etc etc) I would absolutely LOVE to have an M4.

I've not had an issue with films at airport but have not flown with it for a while. I believe that the X-ray machines are more powerful but asking to hand check films isn't so much of an issue. TBH processing is really not much of an issue either. B&W really is easy and part of the pleasure. I've not tried colour myself though but here there are plenty of labs (b&w and colour).

So... get an M4 to go with your new M9-P 🙂 they will make a great team!! (just don't buy a strap from Leica 😉)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rivi1969 said:

Film is more work but it is worth the effort IMHO.

As for airport x-rays, etc. if you stick to ISO 100 or lower that helps if you are forced to have your film x-rayed.  I have always used the Domke Film Shield lead lined bags; these show up on the scanner monitors as a black box and they then hand inspect the film.  Not much of a hassle, really.

The real issue is the new CT scan machines for carry on bags that some airports in the U.S. have.  These are the same type machines that checked bags are put through and will ruin any unprocessed film.  TSA will hand check your film if they have these new machines for carry on bags, though.

Just be on the lookout for a machine that vaguely resembles a jet engine with blue back lighting and the analogic logo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anal Logic - the monumental appropriateness of that name for this piece of hardware cannot possible be overstated.  😎 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

My film went to those scanners. I was frequent flyer in USA from 2018, 2019. Remember them visually and by documents about their release list. First I have seen was at Logan, Boston. They put sign - save up to 400 iso film. 

As for MP needs backup, could be. I’m only keeping M4-2 now. Dropped on concrete sidewalk, it still worked. Took it to Moscow with slightly stiff advance and it worked for two weeks getting more stiff at the final day in Warsaw. I was still taking pictures with it. Repair was done at home country by one of the two remaining ex Leica technicians. My M4-2 serving me as everyday camera for some years now. -28 +40 C it works. Needs another repair now, but it is still camera which works without backup.

I also having hard time to remember any digital camera we have at home to stop working. Some of them are with ancient memory cards :)

But I’ll take Mongolia trip as valid reason to keep second body for backup. Going this remote and no backup just doesn’t feel well.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1