SL 35 or SL 50 ?

Bohns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Strange to raise such a question, whose answer is rather personal and subjective than it is rational, but since the SL2 allows crops, what I felt natural and logical became questionable.

I own already a SL and a CL. I should receive  the SL2 next week. I also have the Summilux TL 35, which I use either on SL or CL.

After receiving the SL2, I may decide selling the CL. I am pretty sure I will keep the SL.

By next spring, at least before summer, I would like to add a Summicron SL in my kit. I like a lot the 50 mm field of view. I am just now hesitating between 35 or 50 due to the crop-ability of the SL2.

For your info, I also own the TL 11-23 and TL 55-135 (which I will keep), SL 24-90 and SL 90-280 (which I will keep as well).

I also own M lenses, and the L-M adapter.

SL 35 would be redundant with TL 35 on CL, but it would allow me the 35 fov on SL.

SL50 would be redundant with TL35 on SL, but it would allow keeping the 24 Mp resolution on SL and the 47 Mp on SL2. Good for landscapes.

hesitating...

Edited by Bohns

What are you planning to use as a walk around  lens on the SL??

If you are planing on something a little wider... 35  would be my answer.

i have the 50... and passed on the 35 though.

My other lenses are 16-35 and 90-280. I have the Q2... which serves as my walk around camera... and because of the 47mp and fixed 28, I don’t feel I need a 35 SL. 

I had exactly the same question/hesitation.

Im most likely planning on waiting for the Leica 28/2 Summicron so I purchased the 35/1.2 Art L mount to fill in for my 35mm FOV needs.  Now I will most likely get the 50 Cron now and the 28 Cron when it comes out.  So it will be: 28 Cron, 35 Sigma, 50 Cron, 85/1.4 Sigma.  
Another way to do it is: 28/1.4 Sigma (an incredible lens btw), 35 Cron, 28-90 Elmarit, and 75 Cron.  
The 75 Cron is nice, but it’s not up to the levels of the 35 or 50 Cron.  Also, swirly bokeh on it.  

I've personally concluded that in the new era of mega pixel wars, unless you regularly expect (and can afford) to print to 40x60, when in doubt, buy wider and crop. As 20x30 is about a large as I ever go, despite having a number of 75mm M-primes with only a single 90mm Elmarit, in the end, I bought the 75mm as cropping to 90mm is pretty trivial and what ever increase in DoF there might be when wide open wasn't of concern.  The 35mm when available is next up, over the 50mm and I've already got myself on the lists for the upcoming 24/21 as opposed to the more traditional 28mm. Part of my calculations are related to the X1D which I expect to pair with the SL2 as I move off of the Ms. With that system, I expect the ultra wide to be  covered by the X1D's 21mm (17mm F eq) coupled with the 80mm for its  speed and odd ball FL (62mm eq). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I've personally concluded that in the new era of mega pixel wars, unless you regularly expect (and can afford) to print to 40x60, when in doubt, buy wider and crop. As 20x30 is about a large as I ever go, despite having a number of 75mm M-primes with only a single 90mm Elmarit, in the end, I bought the 75mm as cropping to 90mm is pretty trivial and what ever increase in DoF there might be when wide open wasn't of concern.  The 35mm when available is next up, over the 50mm and I've already got myself on the lists for the upcoming 24/21 as opposed to the more traditional 28mm. Part of my calculations are related to the X1D which I expect to pair with the SL2 as I move off of the Ms. With that system, I expect the ultra wide to be  covered by the X1D's 21mm (17mm F eq) coupled with the 80mm for its  speed and odd ball FL (62mm eq). 

Totally agree, the need for multiple focal lengths has been diminished by the ability to crop these huge files. I just sold my 75... as the 50 was fine with cropping.

Thank you all for your participation and advices.

Yes, indeed, I run after an all-rounder which could be lighter and smaller than the 24-90, while keeping the AF.

Still hesitating. I think I will test by imposing the 35 mm for a full photo session, and then the 50 mm for another one. I can for example use my 24-90 at 35 only, or at 50 only, or use my Summarit M 35 or my Summilux M 50.

Note that I have a Summilux M 28 as well. Both the 28 and the 50 are my most used lenses with the M. The Summarit 35 is more often on the CL then it is on the M. It happens quite often that I make a full photo session with only the Summilux 50 M on the SL. But, strangely, I never got tempted to do the same with the Summarit 35...

It seems I am more on the SL 50, culturally speaking. The high res of the SL2 just opens this « culture » wider...

I was in this same boat and got the 50mm. The reason being that I like the 50mm focal length a bit more, and I felt that I would rather crop IT a bit and get a 75mm length, rather than the 35mm. Also, I have 35mm and 50mm M lenses, and the 35mm functions better on mirrorless bodies than the 50mm, so if I need 35mm I can always use that lens. The 28mm Summicron SL might be the better buy for the same reason. Too bad we can't just get them all, haha.

I have the same Dilemma as to which one prime to get. I have all three zooms want one auto focus prime for walk around. Leaning towards 35 as I found on my M240 I mostly use 35 over the 50. Let yours  picture history tell you which focal length you use more and remember the crop factor. 

With APO-SL skip even numbers one and so for odd number only. 

Let me explain :

21mm will give you : 21@46.6MP + 24@35.7MP + 28@26.2MP

35mm will give you : 35@46.6MP + 50@22.8MP

75mm will give you : 75@46.6MP + 90@32.4MP + 135@14.4MP

So only 3 lenses to rule them all. You won’t even need a Q2 😉

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 5

I was also undecided and thought I was going to match the SL lenses with my M set up, so that it would be complementary, so I initially thought I would go for the 35 (I only have 1 35 with M)

On second thoughts, I decided that I would get what I tend to use more and I went with the 50 and 90 also because I really like the 24-90 between 24 and 50 beyond which it starts becoming quite slow and too extended to my taste

the 50 is awesome - unfortunately I had to sell the 50 Lux SL and 75  which are great also, but it is what it is. I am happy with my current set up and will go for one of the WAs when they become available (likely 21 or 24)

14 hours ago, digitalfx said:

But my new 35mm Summicron SL is the finest 35mm Ive ever owned...it is a must have lens. I think im going to add the 50mm before the tariffs kick in

Alas, Trump's 25% tax on Leica lenses went into effect in late October. The $4495 you'll see on dealers' websites listed as Out of Stock has been replaced on Adorama with a new price: $5695. That hurts. 

Edited by johnbuckley
  • Like 1

vor 20 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

With APO-SL skip even numbers one and so for odd number only. 

Let me explain :

21mm will give you : 21@46.6MP + 24@35.7MP + 28@26.2MP

35mm will give you : 35@46.6MP + 50@22.8MP

75mm will give you : 75@46.6MP + 90@32.4MP + 135@14.4MP

So only 3 lenses to rule them all. You won’t even need a Q2 😉

Very good choice - however I prefer the combination 21-35-90mm.

1 hour ago, johnbuckley said:

Alas, Trump's 25% tax on Leica lenses went into effect in late October. The $4495 you'll see on dealers' websites listed as Out of Stock has been replaced on Adorama with a new price: $5695. That hurts. 

I had put an order in for the 50 Cron SL before the tariff.  Adorama said they would honor the price - I have no idea where I am on the list, though.

Edited by Dr. G
  • Like 1