SL2 and GPS tagging

hotshew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not think it is the firmware only. See, Leica promised and advertised the GPS-system working with the Leica-app, when the SL2 came to market. But they never made the app work properly. There may be problems e.g. when the iphone goes to sleep - anyway, I use a simple geo-tagging app, upload the file to my Onedrive and import it to Lightroom. This works and saves time and nerves. 

1 hour ago, beewee said:

Interesting. So far, I’ve managed to consistently get the bluetooth and GPS icons displayed on the SL2-S but have yet to see a single photo with location data written to EXIF.

FYI - On the Q2 there are 2 shades Bluetooth and GPS icons - a white one when connected, and a grey one when  not connected. You have to look closely to see the difference.

9 hours ago, RoySmith said:

FYI - On the Q2 there are 2 shades Bluetooth and GPS icons - a white one when connected, and a grey one when  not connected. You have to look closely to see the difference.

I should clarify that the top display only shows the bright Bluetooth logo.

However, the EVF and rear display also shows the Bluetooth logo as well while in photo capture mode. Strangely, this one is almost always grey. I’ve seen the very odd flicker to white but it’s very brief and fleeting. I now wonder if this is indicating that the camera has flakey bluetooth connectivity. I still don’t get how I can have a grey Bluetooth logo on the EVF/display and a GPS icon indicating there’s location info at the same time, while the EXIF data having no location data. This seems quite contradictory. 

I tried using Fotos 2 with my SL2 during vacation travels. Unfortunately, for the reasons mentioned above, this is no a reliable or workable solution as my camera may be turned of or go into standby regularly. Having the reestablish the bluetooth connection is a pain.

I just take a snapshot to the location with my iPhone. When I get home, I use PhotoMechanic 6 to cull images and add the location info. When I then import the images in the Capture One Pro 21, the GPS information comes with the images along with color and star ratings. Not as good as the camera recording the GPS info real time, but it works.

PhotoMechanic adds the GPS information, color and star ratings to the DNG without the need to create an XML sidecar file. Afterwards, images import to any program (Apple Photos, etc) retain the GPS information. Pretty cool.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Just coming home from a studio-shooting (as usual with a pretty girl who is young and needs the money 😇😂) and was really curious because I had used the new version of the Foto-App (with GPS turned always on) on my iPhone (with everything „always on“ for Leica-App). What can I tell you? As I expected: not one single photo has been tagged with the GPS data, even so there the GPS-logo and the BluRay-logo both were visible on the top-screen of my Leica SL2 and the GPS was enabled in the app. Hey, Leica, this sucks! 

2 hours ago, Bernd B. said:

Just coming home from a studio-shooting (as usual with a pretty girl who is young and needs the money 😇😂

Considering the negative experience many women face in the industry, your choice of words here is unfortunate and lacking empathy. I know this forum is mainly centered around gear discussions but this is a reason diversity is lacking so I have to mention it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Regardless whether it was in jest or not, it was done in poor taste. One can claim ‘locker room talk’ but it neither justifies nor does it make it any more acceptable that a group of human beings are being singled out and their unfortunate situation is being made light as a joke for the entertainment/enjoyment of others. 

• Thanks 2