SL2 issue with exposure simulation in Manual mode

NRKstudio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Artin said:

I tend not to use Auto ISO at all in fact I prefer to shoot just about everything in Base ISO or as close to it as possible. I want to keep my images as clean and as Much DR as I can get...

I also want to keep my images as clean as possible. In M mode I choose aperture for wished DoF and shutter speed as I think it is necessary. If possible I choose combo that uses lowest possible ISO. But if the lights is insufficient I can do like you would do in "pure M Mode" - change the SS and/or A. If that is not enough or not to my liking, than the camera bumps up the ISO without me doing anything...(and in that situation you would need manually to change your ISO from the base value)
And I still keep my preferred A and SS - so what's not to like? Really don't get it...

Edited by profus

It is very difficult to follow this discussion as it started as a technical question, then it became an opinion discussion about if auto-ISO in M mode makes sense, and then somehow Panasonic and Leica's relationship became part of the discussion... 

Anyway, I can verify that the SL2 works as expected, as others mentioned. When in M mode with auto ISO, when you change the exposure compensation you can preview the changes. Now the OP seems to say that this fails ONLY in extreme situations when the image is going to be very underexposed, (maybe overexposed as well)? Is my understanding correct? 

Ok, I think I figured out what is going on.

First of all it has nothing to do with exposure compensation, so ignore it, that bit confused (some of ) us.

This is what is happening. The preview works fine as long as you are within the parameters of the auto-iso (minimum iso, maximum iso). The preview with exposure compensation works fine as well, again as long as you stay within  the auto iso limits.

But, when you go outside the limits, say for example you have a maximum iso of 6400 and you set up a shutter speed that is too fast (eg 1/4000) and the right iso is say 10000, then the camera stops showing the right preview. But, if this helps the OP,  you can see clearly in the exposure meter scale (if it is in your display) that the resulting exposure will be under-exposed. So the preview will not tell you that something is wrong, but the meter on the display will alert you to that. Maybe the OP confused these meter value changes in the display as exposure compensation?

Edited by Daedalus2000