TL2 vs CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

However, one nice thing about this situation, is that TL2 can be bought very cheap. I was offered an excellent condition used TL2 + TL 18-56 with 9 months warranty left for only 1,200€ 

I think about buying it as a backup for my Leica lenses. But the no firmware since 18 months situation, scares me. 

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

However, one nice thing about this situation, is that TL2 can be bought very cheap. I was offered an excellent condition used TL2 + TL 18-56 with 9 months warranty left for only 1,200€ 

I think about buying it as a backup for my Leica lenses. But the no firmware since 18 months situation, scares me. 

Why do you worry about lack of updates? Is there anything broken with TL2 that needs to be fixed. Most of firmware updates are only bug fixes anyway.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EUSe said:

There are no special editions for the SL or S either, yet they are alive and kicking. Future will show the fate of the TL product line, but at this time this is pure guessing. 

Calling the Leica S alive and kicking might be stretching it a little bit though... 😉

vor 10 Stunden schrieb SlowDriver:

Calling the Leica S alive and kicking might be stretching it a little bit though... 😉

True! Some big and heavy animals walk very slowly. 😀 I do hope that Leica will never make a fiery red Santa Claus edition TL2 (or pink, green,  violet, fill in whatever you want). But it is just my taste, can’t speak for everybody.

Eva

Edited by EUSe

On 26/11/2019 at 11:53, nicci78 said:

Sin embargo, una cosa buena de esta situación es que TL2 se puede comprar muy barato. Me ofrecieron una excelente condición de TL2 + TL 18-56 con 9 meses de garantía restante por solo 1,200 € 

Pienso en comprarlo como respaldo para mis lentes Leica. Pero la situación sin firmware desde hace 18 meses, me asusta. 

It seems scandalously cheap.
Particularly that price makes me distrustful.

14 hours ago, SrMi said:

Why do you worry about lack of updates? Is there anything broken with TL2 that needs to be fixed. Most of firmware updates are only bug fixes anyway.

Have you seen the total makeover of CL with firmware 3.0 ? Just to bring Q2 tweak user interface to the CL. 

CL and Q2 may or may not received another makeover to get SL2 UI.

Frequent update is a good sign that Leica still care about the camera. TL2 still need one to fix the slower AF. But seems like they do not even care about it now. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, SrMi said:

The biggest difficulty I have with the TL2 is   that the focus peaking line is too fine and so is very difficult to see on the LCD. The CL red line is thicker.

2 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

The biggest difficulty I have with the TL2 is   that the focus peaking line is too fine and so is very difficult to see on the LCD. The CL red line is thicker.

It rather depends on the lens used. Did you try with the same lens and the same light/subject?

3 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

Sorry,  I can’t find a way to do that on the TL2 ; FW is 1.5

I thought the TL2 works like the CL sorry. Not to rub salt in the wounds but i can chose four colours and two sensitivities on the latter. A good reason to ask for a firmware update on the TL2 IMHO.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I like the T series concept, unfortunately I'm afraid nicci78 is correct in the aps segment all the love is for the last baby, the CL.

In my opinion the CL is a more advanced tool but the TL2 has its own fascination. I appreciate the user interface which could be easily understood by my wife (she always get lost in the D-109 menus, and me too sometimes!). I already own the evf which I sometimes use on the M!O and I could use it  on the TL2...

Prices on the used market are getting interesting...

Thinking as a complement to my M10 ...even if we do not need anothe camera... but 🙂

robert

The  more I use the TL (not the TL2) the more am I convinced that the concept and design was thought out by a genius. It cannot replace the CL as a "serious" small camera, the EVF is the key, but the TL does what it needs to do  - outsmarting the smartphone photographically-  brilliantly.

• Like 3

And yet, it has the same sensor, same lenses ... what’s not serious about it?

I like my TL2, and I hope Leica is brave enough to develop the concept (where the CL leaves me cold - just too conservative).  Having said that, I won’t be upgrading.  I’m happy with the existing model, and it does what I want well (light, compact camera I can take cycling, etc).  I get a bit tired of predictions of doom for future equipment based on ... what exactly?  Dealers? Seeing how many are for sale etc?  

I’ll wait for Leica to make an announcement.  The R&D is done and dusted, the bodies CNCed and they share lenses with the rest of the L mount ecosystem.  The marginal cost of further development is small.

That is the point - serious high-quality photography out of an arms-lenght (at least at my age) camera with a 21st century UI in a hipster-proof package. What is there not to like?
The CL is completely different, based on similar technology,  a package that is as small as possible producing a quality that is as high as possible designed with the features of a full-size camera. The original Barnack concept translated to the 21st century. Again, what is there not to like? 

One is moving up from the smartphone (or P+S), the other scaling down from full size gear, both with optimum results.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That is the point - serious high-quality photography out of an arms-lenght (at least at my age) camera with a 21st century UI in a hipster-proof package. What is there not to like?
The CL is completely different, based on similar technology,  a package that is as small as possible producing a quality that is as high as possible designed with the features of a full-size camera. The original Barnack concept translated to the 21st century. Again, what is there not to like? 

One is moving up from the smartphone (or P+S), the other scaling down from full size gear, both with optimum results.

I use the EVF ...

Actually, I can understand Leica added it for marketing reasons, and I am sure that  it is very a practical accessory for using the camera, but considering the concept in a purist manner, it shouldn't be there. ;) .
Disclosure: I don't own an EVF for my TL, but that is pure stinginess, s I refuse to pay as much for the thing as I did for the whole camera. I don't miss it though, I think the LCD framing works very well. It gives me a sense of snipping a rectangle out of reality, analogous to using your fingers to pre-frame a subject even before you raise a camera to your eye or put a brush to the canvas.

• Like 4

An interesting analogy, and one I like!

The original EVF was rubbish (you’re missing nothing). The Visoflex 020 is better, but still rather annoying. I carry mine in my bag for the TL2 and M10-D, but only use it when I need to.  I recall suggesting the compatibility to Leica at some point. 

When I want to pocket the camera (often just in my cycling jersey), I use the 28 Summaron-M. Nice and compact, zone focused (focusing on the LCD is rubbish), and 42mm field of view. Great combination. 

All in all, it’s a great camera. 

• Like 1

I have the leica TL2.

I'm very happy about it. I also have the Leica M too TL adapter. But I don't think TL2 is good for my M optics. Fokus is not optimal.

Optisk kvalitet is super. But the CL and SL are better too fokus. 
In addition, TL2 needs a firmware update to match CL and SL with Autofokus for Leica SL lenses   

It seems a bit like Leica forgot about the TL2 buyers mht firmware opdate. ☺️