M6 Sultan of Brunei - 1992 - platinum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I just joined these forums as I need some advice. My father passed away a few weeks ago and as I have been going through his things I came across a camera, I know nothing about about cameras, and it has never been out of the box as far as I can tell.

I have seen these 2 articles

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/LEICAM6_GoldSultanBrunei/index1.htm

and

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6_Platinum-Series/M6Platin_SultanBrunei1996/index.htm

But neither of them are the right one

Does anyone know where i can get some more information on it? Pic attached

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

We don't do valuations here, but in this case I would advise you to insure the camera. Collectiblend estimates it at 20.000 $, provided the lens is original. Somehow I have a feeling it is not, if only because of the missing lens cap .

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M6-'Sultan-of-Brunei'.html

Thanks! 

I honestly was not looking for an appraisal, as I read the post about not doing them, its more looking for more info on it as it seems pretty scarce. 

I asked my step mum about it and my dad used to work for the sultan of Bruneis brother in the 90's in London, so I believe it is real, but that is why I wanted more info! I will keep checking.

I appreciate your help!!!!!

• Like 2

That is an interesting connection. It provides provenance to the camera. The camera itself has little extra history, except for the production numbers you found. It is one (of the most collectable) of many special editions that Leica built from the M6 series. Technically it is no different from a humble standard M6. If I were you I would keep it in this mint condition and regard it as a family heirloom.

BTW, could you provude an image from the front with the lens cap off?

Unsold at Leitz Auction yesterday. The initial bid of €15,000 seems to have been withdrawn.

William

129. Leica M6 Gold 'Sultan of Brunei' prototype

37954_1_mid.jpg

PreviousNext
37954_1_thumb.jpg37954_2_thumb.jpg37954_3_thumb.jpg37954_4_thumb.jpg37954_5_thumb.jpg37954_6_thumb.jpg37954_7_thumb.jpg37954_8_thumb.jpg37954_9_thumb.jpg37954_10_thumb.jpg37954_11_thumb.jpg37954_12_thumb.jpg37954_13_thumb.jpg37954_14_thumb.jpg37954_15_thumb.jpg37954_16_thumb.jpg37954_17_thumb.jpg

a prototype of the rare gold edition M6, the golden M6 has been produced in limited quantity for the Sultan of Brunei as gifts for his special guests, with matching Summilux-M 1.4/35mm ASPH. no.3751000, wooden presentation box

Sale No 37954
 Condition A
 Serial No. HB-000
 Year 1995

Auction closed!
23 November 2019 11:00

Unsold

Estimate € 30000-35000

Bidding

€ 15.000 Thursday 09:59
€ 15.000  Start price

35th Leitz Photographica Auction, 

Finished

The Sultan of Brunei, clearly a passionate, had made by Leica several special editions… in Gold, in Platinum, with various lenses in kit :  anyway, apparently everything is ok in your item (the question of lens cap can be cleared… some special engraved lens cap is indeed shown, in some sites) : being a rather recent edition, I think that you can ask directly to Leica, sending detailed images of all the items (camera, lens, box, paper) .  It's all up to you to decide what to do of it : is a family Heritage but also, when certified original, a collectible which can bring in a significant value  in the right moment at the right Auction...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

That is an interesting connection. It provides provenance to the camera. The camera itself has little extra history, except for the production numbers you found. It is one (of the most collectable) of many special editions that Leica built from the M6 series. Technically it is no different from a humble standard M6. If I were you I would keep it in this mint condition and regard it as a family heirloom.

BTW, could you provude an image from the front with the lens cap off?

Once I talk to my mum in a couple of days I will get her to take one of it. I just took a couple of quick ones and put it away again. It will be a family heirloom as none of us would be crazy enough to use a camera that expensive, its more like art.

its probably this one >

"The lens has the same Malay engraving of SAMBUTAN JUBLI PERAK 5 OCT. 92 imprinted at the front lens data ring."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it