SL2 IBIS M Lenses

jmm1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Waking up this old thread -- there are still some puzzling things that happen which I don't understand.  But reading the comments, what we seem to be asking for is a firmware fix that separates giving IBIS the right focal length, and getting the camera to turn on or off the Leica lens-specific corrections for vignetting and color shifts at the sensor edges.  If you could turn off the corrections, then the users of non-Leica lenses should be happy to choose the nearest available focal length from the M and R lists.

edit:  I took a look at the M10 manual, and Ms have a menu entry that I had long forgotten -- "lens detection" can be set to OFF, AUTO, or Manual (select an M or R lens from a list).  Although AUTO is assumed when a six-bit coded lens is recognized, you can override that with the OFF control.  No such option is mentioned in the SL2 manual (don't have the camera with me at the moment) and the manual also doesn't describe the mysterious dialog in which the IBIS can ask you to supply a focal length. 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

2 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Waking up this old thread -- there are still some puzzling things that happen which I don't understand.  But reading the comments, what we seem to be asking for is a firmware fix that separates giving IBIS the right focal length, and getting the camera to turn on or off the Leica lens-specific corrections for vignetting and color shifts at the sensor edges.  If you could turn off the corrections, then the users of non-Leica lenses should be happy to choose the nearest available focal length from the M and R lists.

edit:  I took a look at the M10 manual, and Ms have a menu entry that I had long forgotten -- "lens detection" can be set to OFF, AUTO, or Manual (select an M or R lens from a list).  Although AUTO is assumed when a six-bit coded lens is recognized, you can override that with the OFF control.  No such option is mentioned in the SL2 manual (don't have the camera with me at the moment) and the manual also doesn't describe the mysterious dialog in which the IBIS can ask you to supply a focal length. 

SL2 has it in the menu Camera Settings -> Lens Profiles -> Auto/Off/M-R lenses.

The page 36 of English SL2 manual wrongly says that it option under Camera Information.

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

No I think the S1R solution is better, just entering a number, not selecting a similar Leica lens. There is generally a problem with zooms that do not continually send the current focal length (some R and all foreign zooms). Then it would be easy to change the number, but cumbersome if you need to select every time another equivalent prime lens.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, caissa said:

No I think the S1R solution is better, just entering a number, not selecting a similar Leica lens. There is generally a problem with zooms that do not continually send the current focal length (some R and all foreign zooms). Then it would be easy to change the number, but cumbersome if you need to select every time another equivalent prime lens.

While S1R's solution is more flexible, Leica's knowledge of exact M/R lens used allows camera to apply additional correction specific to that lens. I think having both would be best, using focal length entry for non-Leica lenses.

1 hour ago, caissa said:

Past experience is that Leica doesn't directly support non-Leica lenses.  We'll see if the L-Mount consortium changes this.  Anyway, if you select "lens reco OFF" and then load up a foreign lens, the point where the IBIS asks for a focal length is the place where we should see a simple input as well as a list of Leica lenses.  BTW, has anyone who uses Panasonic or Sigma L-mount lenses (especially zooms) noticed  if the EXIF is correct and the IBIS works?

• Like 1

Incidentally, I checked the manual for my SL and sure enough, in a part that I haven't looked at for a very long time, it does not offer OFF as a lens detection option.  Just AUTO and M/R (from a list).

And working with the SL2, I found out a way that IBIS can get shut off.  First go to camera settings and set lens reco OFF.  IBIS will also go off.  set lens reco M lenses again (the camera knows that it has an M to L adapter mounted.  But don't select a lens, just exit.  That leaves the camera back in OFF.  Switch the camera off and on again, and the situation still is the same.  The lens is not recognized when you power off and then on again.  If you set lens reco to auto, it immediately recognizes the lens that is mounted.  So at present, this doesn't provide a path to prompting the IBIS to ask you for your focal length. 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

On 11/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, scroy said:

For Voigtlander lenses on SL, I would set profile to a similar M, shoot RAW and then apply the proper corrections in post. Would this workflow work with IBIS on the SL2? I would think so, but curious. 

It does indeed work.  I use a CV75/1.5 (hand coded to 75 APO and a CV50/1.2 set by the menu to 50/1.4 ASPH M or sometimes 50/1.2 Noct).  

Of course it works if you keep the focal length the same.  And with a little experimentation you can get the vignetting corrections to be appropriate.  Shoot a white wall very close up but with the lens focused at infinity and exposure compensation +2 to see what profile corrections are baked in.

• 4 weeks later...

With the M-adapter L on a SL2, the menu Lens Profile displays Auto, Off or M-lenses. 

I have a M Summicron 50mm SOSIC from 1959 (Rigid). Of course not coded but also not listed on the SL2. Indeed one need to choose another Summicron f/2.0 lens, otherwise IBIS will not work. Auto or Off doesn't help either. IBIS is greyed out here.

Ergo, Leica does not respect his own history of lenses in the Lens Profile menu. Hmm, don't know what to think about that. 

Still a very good camera ;) and with a bit of help from Leica with a firmware update, we are all happy again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

yes that is true,  But to get IBIS as I mentioned earlier - just set it as (emulate) any similar lens profile that is already on the SL2, eg: I use a Nokton 35 f1.2, but set the profile as  M Lux 35 1.4.   PURELY to get IBIS - not for anything else.

Edited by jmm1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem using the Leica M-Adaptor L in that when I use am M lens the EXIF data shows "unknown lens". According to the SL User Manual (page 36) this can be fixed by setting Main Menu>Camera Information> Lens Profile to Auto. However, on my camera when I go to Camera Information in the Main Menu the line "Lens Profile" does not exist. How do I find this menu line item?

On 1/21/2020 at 9:45 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Of course it works if you keep the focal length the same.  And with a little experimentation you can get the vignetting corrections to be appropriate.  Shoot a white wall very close up but with the lens focused at infinity and exposure compensation +2 to see what profile corrections are baked in.

This is doing it in reverse order.

Fuji has shown how it could be implemented differently. They offer a M adapter. And for some M lenses it is possible to select a focal length and set the in camera image corrections that you would like, you can define settings for about 6 lenses. I would like a similar option (for a generic lens) in the SL2. I would not like to apply it to M or R lenses, but to other lenses that I would like to adapt and which are often overcorrected by selecting a lens of similar focal length.

• 3 months later...

I have the Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 VM, with the Leica M adapter L, that I have been shooting without IBIS. I thought about selecting an M profile, but there is not an M equivalent focal length unfortunately. I hope in the future we can create new profiles for non M lenses.

Edited by JESan