SL2 IBIS M Lenses

jmm1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, SlowDriver said:

Not sure whether I fully grasp this.  Does IBIS work on the SL2 for non-Leica lenses?  

IBIS needs to know the focal length in order to work properly. If the lens does not communicate with the camera or it is not an M or R lens, IBIS is likely disabled. All L-mount lenses (Leica, Sigma, Panasonic) should work with IBIS. M and R lenses can be specified manually if they are not coded properly,

40 minutes ago, Bohns said:

Can’t we enter manually the focal length ?

Does it mean than only L mount, Leica R or Leica M lenses allow IBIS, and only with Leica adapter ?

This needs to be confirmed, but SL2 manual, page 36, mentions that one has to select either M or R lens.

2 hours ago, Bohns said:

Can’t we enter manually the focal length ?

Does it mean than only L mount, Leica R or Leica M lenses allow IBIS, and only with Leica adapter ?

(a) With Leica M-Adapter T: Either the camera automatically (with 6-bit coding), or the user manually, identifies and set the mounted M-lens. Fine.

(b) With Leica R-Adapter L: Either the camera automatically (for ROM'ed lenses), or the user manually, identifies and set the mounted R-lens. Fine.

(c) With the electronic Novoflex adapter: The body identifies the lens, and sets the focal length automatically. Fine for those Canon and Nikon lenses supported by the two Novoflex adapters (SL/NIK for electronic Nikon lenses and SL/EOS for electronic Canon lenses).

(d) With any dumb adapter or stack of adapters: The user can manually identify and chose one of the available M- and R-lenses. 

In summary: For any non-native lens, one can set the lens to any M- or an R-lens with identical/similar focal length. This is fine for IBIS, but you also get Leica's lens corrections that may or may not be appropriate for the actual (non-native) lens.

So (a) to (c) are fine. 

But I (strongly) miss an option where the focal length can be freely set, without simultaneous incorporation of any form of in-body lens correction. Luckily, the various M- and R-lenses span a wide range of focal lengths, so most non-native lenses have a corresponding Leica lens.

On the Panasonic S1R, for non-native lenses, you simply set the focal length of your non-Leica lens, and IBIS works accordingly, without lens corrections. I would think Leica can/could do the same!

If the above is correct - I and believe so, but please correct me... - there is no way to e.g. use the Voigtländer Heliar 15mm without picking a (random) 15mm-ish R- or M-lens. Strange, as one of the strengths of the L-mount, due to the short flange distance, is that you can use lots and lots of different lenses. You still can with any dumb adapter, but you can't benefit from the IBIS without incorporating in-body lens corrections, the latter dictated by the L- or R-lens you pick from the menu. And you are restricted by the range of M- and R-lens focal lengths.

Leica - could we please get a FW update where we can manually set the focal length of non-native lenses!

Edited by helged
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Just now, jaapv said:

And you can stack the M adapter with any third party M-to-xx adapter. 

Sure, any stack belongs to category (d). Post updated. But the point is that there is no way to set the focal length for non-native Leica lenses (as far as I can see). 

2 hours ago, helged said:

Sure, any stack belongs to category (d). Post updated. But the point is that there is no way to set the focal length for non-native Leica lenses (as far as I can see). 

Provided the Leica M (and R) adapter do not control some other functions of the camera. I have no SL(2), but on the CL, for instance, it determines the control of image magnification.

• Like 1

So my plan was to use the M lenses with Leica M adapter, but also some cheap 3rd party lenses for my Anamorphic experiments in video. Not being able to freely choose a focal length for a lens is really bad and kind of Apple, but I should have got used to it from my years with the M system.

Just for a comparisson, S1H asks you each time to confirm the lens’ focal length when non native lens is used and camera is powered on. One can also save 5, 6 lens profiles too.

• Like 1

You make the SL2 think you have an M lens by creating a profile:

eg: For my Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 - I have a profile that says the lens is a Lux 35 1.4.

This profile is then preloaded with IBIS switched on and other settings that you would like for this lens - all with one setting change.

Edited by jmm1

On 11/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, helged said:

I stack the L-M + M-R Leica adapters and the lenses are recognized and work perfectly