Computational Photography

jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over the years, before I retired, I built a number of laboratories. All kinds from optical to medical. 
Recently I did a consultation for an old friend on a lab that was making some changes. In the process the lab owner handed me a Light L16 camera and said “here....knock yourself out.....you may keep it we don’t need it anymore”.

I had to do a bunch of research and gather the parts, pieces and manual but finally got it all together and used it for a while. It’s the most amazing technology I’ve seen in a long time. Fascinating. 

The camera has 16 lenses with 16 separate sensors. 5 - 28mm, 5 - 70mm and 6 - 150mm all at f/2. When you half press press the shutter button the camera focuses, meters and when you fully press the shutter it captures the image. Anywhere from 10 to 16 images are captured all at once and overlaid and stitched together and saves. You get a preview in less than one second. Now if you click on the image on the lcd the camera will process the stitched image in 6-8 seconds to show the full resolution image which I’d editable through sliders kind of like Lightroom but right on the camera. The camera has Bluetooth and WiFi built in. The speed and accuracy was amazing. You cannot select aperture or iso. DOF can be selected with varying depth of field in post processing. The raw images are proprietary and Light’s software must be used to convert to jpeg images. I have found no other software that will read their raw images you can select any focal length, by individual millimeter, from 28 to 150mm. The final images are between 52 and 80 megapixels each. You have to think of storage in terabytes instead of megabytes. You can zoom in on one of these images A LOT and keep outstanding clarity and sharpness with no loss.

I’ve seen computational photography mentioned quite a few times referring to processing an image after capture with a computer. That’s not computational photography. That’s modern darkroom processing to enhance or change a captured image. THIS is computational photography. The camera and it’s software making most all the setting choices and building an final image.

This is the future. Like it or not. Leica invested in it recently. This company developed this camera with a motive. You can’t buy one anymore unless you get a used one. They are sold out.

I will continue with rangefinders and old school. I’m too old to start over.

Pics to follow. Leica M-240 vs Light.

Edited by jdlaing
  • Like 2

Phones are already doing basic computational photography such as taking a series of shots and creating a final image. You can call this post processing, but the phone takes image data from a series of images and creates a final satisfactory image through computations of some kind. This is particularly useful for night shots like this one taken with an Huawei P20 with Leica lens, of course.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is basic, but the possibilities are endless. The benefit of combining computational photography with communications functions for what remains of 'press photography' today must be obvious. All of this started to happen with the very first digital cameras. What we have had so far has largely been the replacement of film with digital sensors, but a lot more can and will be done. A fellow LHSA member had a Light camera with him in Wetzlar last year and Stefan Daniel and his team more than just noted this. One big issue for camera companies may be the loss of interchangeable lens sales, but the direction forward is likely to even more disruptive than that.

William

• Like 2

While this is happening and will increase to become the common place, I see the way the majority of people view the world will change too. It will be difficult for more to see the wonderful moments on their own and will need a device to enhance the moment or to inform them of what they should be glad to be a part of. I have seen this already to some extent, but in the future, it will be not an occasional blip of stimulus, but constant.

With computational video in real time, I expect more people will see the world from an electronically enhanced version of the world projected onto their eyes with a sort of lensless glasses or perhaps even tapping directly into the optic nerve via electrical signals through the temples. I don't really like this idea, but I'm confident that this will happen.

It may change my own photography, but most likely, it will encourage me more to be able to see the wonders of life with my own naked eye. If I post something unique on-line, we will be teaching the machines how to see.

Existing as an artist will take showing that you can share feelings with images more than visual eye candy, though the machines are learning that too.

12 minutes ago, Dan Bachmann said:

While this is happening and will increase to become the common place, I see the way the majority of people view the world will change too. It will be difficult for more to see the wonderful moments on their own and will need a device to enhance the moment or to inform them of what they should be glad to be a part of. I have seen this already to some extent, but in the future, it will be not an occasional blip of stimulus, but constant.

With computational video in real time, I expect more people will see the world from an electronically enhanced version of the world projected onto their eyes with a sort of lensless glasses or perhaps even tapping directly into the optic nerve via electrical signals through the temples. I don't really like this idea, but I'm confident that this will happen.

It may change my own photography, but most likely, it will encourage me more to be able to see the wonders of life with my own naked eye. If I post something unique on-line, we will be teaching the machines how to see.

Existing as an artist will take showing that you can share feelings with images more than visual eye candy, though the machines are learning that too.

The technology from Light is already several years old. I suspect that camera being in Wetzlar, and piquing interest,  is why Leica recently invested in Light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willeica said:

Phones are already doing basic computational photography such as taking a series of shots and creating a final image. You can call this post processing, but the phone takes image data from a series of images and creates a final satisfactory image through computations of some kind. This is particularly useful for night shots like this one taken with an Huawei P20 with Leica lens, of course.

This is basic, but the possibilities are endless. The benefit of combining computational photography with communications functions for what remains of 'press photography' today must be obvious. All of this started to happen with the very first digital cameras. What we have had so far has largely been the replacement of film with digital sensors, but a lot more can and will be done. A fellow LHSA member had a Light camera with him in Wetzlar last year and Stefan Daniel and his team more than just noted this. One big issue for camera companies may be the loss of interchangeable lens sales, but the direction forward is likely to even more disruptive than that.

William

I think post processing and computational photography are different. Just my opinion.

http://mitsi.tech/gigapixel-camera/

this link is for a gigapixel camera that combines up to 150 tiny cameras and a very special lens to get incredible resolution. The sample image is a football stadium where you can zoom in enough to clearly identify anyone on the far side. The system has incredible processing power to grab images instantly instead of scanning a large sensor. Combine with facial recognition, and they can find you anywhere....
There are some discontinuities where images are stitched, but still pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

http://mitsi.tech/gigapixel-camera/

this link is for a gigapixel camera that combines up to 150 tiny cameras and a very special lens to get incredible resolution. The sample image is a football stadium where you can zoom in enough to clearly identify anyone on the far side. The system has incredible processing power to grab images instantly instead of scanning a large sensor. Combine with facial recognition, and they can find you anywhere....
There are some discontinuities where images are stitched, but still pretty amazing.

Exactly.

Wanna try one?

Leica M

Edited by jdlaing

Light L16  

Leica M

Light L16

Leica M

OOF by aperture f/2

Light L16

OOF by computer

Leica M

Light L16

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brave new world: the surprising iPhone 11 Pro

Interesting article by Ming Thein on the latest melding of lenses, sensors, computational power and algorithms. From his final paragraph:-

Not only is the compact dead but things that are higher up the food chain also have numbered days. I’d go so far as to argue that the shooting envelope of the iPhone 11 Pro is greater than the XF10 or GR3, even if peak IQ isn’t as high under ideal conditions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone spotted any results of Leica's statement around midyear 2019 that a new "competence  center" in computational photography  with about 40 people would soon be staffed and beavering away somewhere in Silicon Valley.  Leica has made an investment in Light, Inc, and has a partnership with Huawei, leading to the P20 and P30 products.  Huawei, which has some problems operating in the US, gets good reviews for their 3-lens interpolating cameras.  Light, which made an impression with their Light 16 16-lens wonder in 2017 now seems to be emphasizing their newest vision system, intended for smart cars.  (And they raised over $100M from SoftBank.)  Qualcomm and Nokia are active in multi-lens cameras as well.

So where does Leica fit in and when will there be something to talk about?  Does a "competence center" do research, develop products, or something in between?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick