Macro/close-up Filters for the Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On a tiny creature (half of toothbrush head) the ELP52 and the lens in macr position it looks like this and the heavy crop show the very good quality

original phot, no resizing, just ligher depths, shot @ f/16 - 1/640 - iso100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

original photo as above but cropped

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 10:34 PM, nicci78 said:

I just think that Leica did not list the Q not Q2 as potential recipient for the Elpro 52 for a good reason : it performs poorly together.

Then I also think that 28mm is way to wide for macro. You have to get so close, that you introduced lots of distortion due to the distance. Then with Elpro, you are getting even closer, introducing more distortion, more vignetting, less light etc...

300mm macro is an eye opener. I was used to 90mm equivalent macro. Never like 60mm equivalent, already way to close to the subject. 
Everything is easier at 300mm for 1:1 macro : working distance, tripod setup and flash. 

Of course 300mm is silly underwater. 

The ELPRO 52 performs pretty darn well with the Q2. There are of course issues to consider, but having said that, you can still make some pretty good images with a minimum setup, not to mention hassle. Can you do better with a dedicated macro setup? Sure, but as we say in Greek, "better is the enemy of good" :) Here is an image shot with the ELPRO52 and a run of the mill light I happened to have around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, acg69 said:

The ELPRO 52 performs pretty darn well with the Q2. There are of course issues to consider, but having said that, you can still make some pretty good images with a minimum setup, not to mention hassle. Can you do better with a dedicated macro setup? Sure, but as we say in Greek, "better is the enemy of good" :) Here is an image shot with the ELPRO52 and a run of the mill light I happened to have around.

I am considering buying one of these for my Q2.  Does it come with a 49mm filter ring or another size ( as in does it require a step up ring)?

3 hours ago, Leica28 said:

I am considering buying one of these for my Q2.  Does it come with a 49mm filter ring or another size ( as in does it require a step up ring)?

It both requires and comes with a step down ring, i.e. 52 to 49 mm. 

vor 19 Stunden schrieb acg69:

Can you do better with a dedicated macro setup?

Absolutely! Using a dedicated 60mm or 105mm lens will give you much better resolution without distortion and the longer focussing distance will not scare critters away.

However, the ELPRO52 works surprisingly well as long there are no straight lines who will show the distorsion if the photo is not cropped.

Chris

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
vor 4 Stunden schrieb Lucena:

Read all this carefully... I am more of a plant macro photographer. Usually the macro function is enough, sometimes not really. Do someone tried the ELPRO52 on flowers, vegetation...or anything else? 

Hi Lucena and greetings down to PT,
im still hoping to return to your beautiful country!

I wrote a lot of answers here in this tread and I consider the ELPRO 52 a nice pice of glass but with two limitations

1° there is a barrel distortion, depending on the object you photograph it's (as long no straight lines) not critical and also "normal" for WA lenses with a generic diopter
2° focus distance is very near and for a correct exposure you need a ring strobe as a normal, external strobe will throw ugly shadows

Also for alive plants out in the nature you will fight with out of/wrong focus thru the very shallow DOF and plants usually are not holding still
A good ring strobe will help with this as you should have enough light to expose at higher shutter speeds to avoid micro unsharpness
Other solution would be a Lightbox but then you have to cut the plants and as far I remember you shoot outside in the nature

If you wanna get serious with macro then I fear the only solution would be a DSLR with a 80 or better a 105mm macro lens.
My D800 with the Micro 105mm micro shot far superior photos than my Q2 with/withtout the ELPRO 52

Chris

P.S.
Below a photo I shot the day after I bought the Q2 and im 95% sure I used the ELPRO52 on this one to do a first test

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Hi Lucena and greetings down to PT,
im still hoping to return to your beautiful country!

I wrote a lot of answers here in this tread and I consider the ELPRO 52 a nice pice of glass but with two limitations

1° there is a barrel distortion, depending on the object you photograph it's (as long no straight lines) not critical and also "normal" for WA lenses with a generic diopter
2° focus distance is very near and for a correct exposure you need a ring strobe as a normal, external strobe will throw ugly shadows

Also for alive plants out in the nature you will fight with out of/wrong focus thru the very shallow DOF and plants usually are not holding still
A good ring strobe will help with this as you should have enough light to expose at higher shutter speeds to avoid micro unsharpness
Other solution would be a Lightbox but then you have to cut the plants and as far I remember you shoot outside in the nature

If you wanna get serious with macro then I fear the only solution would be a DSLR with a 80 or better a 105mm macro lens.
My D800 with the Micro 105mm micro shot far superior photos than my Q2 with/withtout the ELPRO 52

Chris

P.S.
Below a photo I shot the day after I bought the Q2 and im 95% sure I used the ELPRO52 on this one to do a first test

Olá Chris,

Many thanks for your clear answer. I had 105mm and 60mm macro lenses for the D800, a friend is using them (but they are still mine). No, I don't really want to get serious with macro, what I do is enough, I don't want to hike carrying the heavy burden... and as long as I can be outside ... I will do with the amazing Q2.

"My D800 with the Micro 105mm micro shot far superior photos than my Q2 with/withtout the ELPRO 52" is what I wanted to be cleared for me, so no ELPRO for the Q2.

Obrigada too for appreciating my country, what I miss here is... the Alps and snow, and you have them, so no place can have it all !

Isabel

• Like 1

Am 2.12.2021 um 13:43 schrieb Lucena:

Read all this carefully... I am more of a plant macro photographer. Usually the macro function is enough, sometimes not really. Do someone tried the ELPRO52 on flowers, vegetation...or anything else? 

Hello Lucena,

I took a sample photo of a flower, the picture is full size, unedited JPEG out of camera.

Click on the photo for full resolution. It's not even close to my macro rig, but when I walk around with my Q2 it's a pretty capable solution to capture some nice closeup shots.

Christian - LimesX

Edited by LimesX
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LimesX said:

Hello Lucena,

I took a sample photo of a flower, the picture is full size, unedited JPEG out of camera.

Click on the photo for full resolution. It's not even close to my macro rig, but when I walk around with my Q2 it's a pretty capable solution to capture some nice closeup shots.

Christian - LimesX

Yep thanks !
We took the same subject, mine is a little cropped but taken in macro mode. The definition is amazing indeed...specially seen wide on 27" retina 

• Like 2