Macro/close-up Filters for the Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there!

I start a new tread reagrding this argument as the other macro rad is already ver long.

I am a avid insect and small animals photographer and used Nikon D800 + 105mm VR + SS-600 Strobe.
I switched from the D800 to the Q2 for weight and size reasons and i would like to have a macro/closu-p filter to use for some macro shots when i dont have the D800 with me.

I understood that most of us use the Marami 5x Filter who seems to work quite well but i am wondering if there are aquality wise better solutions.

So far i found close-up lenses from either B+W or Heliopan who both have a great reputation for their filters and abviously the Leica ELPRO Filters, expensive but probybly the best quality.

Does someone here made some tests and have first hand experience about the best quality filter for the Q2?
I don't really mind to pay 400$ - well i prefer that it would be less 😉 - for the ELPRO 55 but i would like to be sure that this filter would give me the best quality on the Q2.
I have SubSee 10x macro lens for Underwater use and this pice of glass is even more expensive but has a awsesome quality.

Thanks so much in advance

Chris

Here some work made with my D800 so you can see also the size of the animals i usually photograph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Hi there!

I start a new tread reagrding this argument as the other macro rad is already ver long.

I am a avid insect and small animals photographer and used Nikon D800 + 105mm VR + SS-600 Strobe.
I switched from the D800 to the Q2 for weight and size reasons and i would like to have a macro/closu-p filter to use for some macro shots when i dont have the D800 with me.

I understood that most of us use the Marami 5x Filter who seems to work quite well but i am wondering if there are aquality wise better solutions.

So far i found close-up lenses from either B+W or Heliopan who both have a great reputation for their filters and abviously the Leica ELPRO Filters, expensive but probybly the best quality.

Does someone here made some tests and have first hand experience about the best quality filter for the Q2?
I don't really mind to pay 400$ - well i prefer that it would be less 😉 - for the ELPRO 55 but i would like to be sure that this filter would give me the best quality on the Q2.
I have SubSee 10x macro lens for Underwater use and this pice of glass is even more expensive but has a awsesome quality.

Thanks so much in advance

Chris

Here some work made with my D800 so you can see also the size of the animals i usually photograph

Your macro photos are stunning. I’ve also done a lot of macro. Mostly with a Canon 5D3 and 100 mm macro lens. I’ve also used the MP-E 65 which gives up to 5X magnification. All that works great. 

I've used both the Hoya and Marumi close-up filters on the Q and they work. Together I don’t like how soft they are and the very narrow DOF.

I also use a Canon MR-14 EX II ring flash. It works great in manual mode on the Q. 

Generally the macro photography using the Q 28mm lens and Close Up filters is not in the same league as my Canon setup, but I always have the option available on the Q because of the great lens. Also not having a cable release is a limiter. FOTOS works. Mostly. 

I have no other experience with other filters on the Q / Q2. I’ll be interested in reply’s. 

6 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Thnaks so much for your kind words and sharing your experience.

I am fascinated of macro and i have a lot, especially of underwater photography.

The D800 with the 60mm or 105mm micro lenses is without any doubt one of the best cameras for serious macro work,
a Leica with a Leica macro lens would be even much better.
But after hauling for about 20 years a 20Kg/40lbs trolley full of 15K of cameras and prime lenses around the world i really enjoy the Q2.

Finding a macro filter who not degrade the incredible optical quality of the Q2 lens would give me the freedom to do macro when i am underway.

Chris

I look forward to seeing what you find for the best optical close-up filter. If it’s a lot better, I’ll take your lead. 

Yes, I can relate to dragging heavy gear around. I still sometimes take a Canon 600mm f/4 lens for wildlife and birds. It weighs 12 lbs. Adding cameras, tripod and other gear does get heavy. The Q is a delight in comparison, but not so great for wildlife. It is a fantastic travel camera. 

I am still not sure to sell or keep the D800 and all the lenses,
but as i almost never use her i guess i will sell all and switch over to a smaller rig with one excellent lens.
maybe lurking for a while to find a used M10 and a 105mm equavilent Leica Macro lens.

I bought in May 2019 a used Q (because the Q2 was not available) for a 4 month road trip in southern Europe with my caravan.
I have to admit i needed some time to get used to use my feet instead of turning the zoom ring after a very long time of fixed lenght lenses,
but as soon i got back in the universe of a old style fixed lenght lens i could not be happier.
In August i found a dealer who had the Q2 available and made me a reasonable offer buying back my Q so i bought the Q2 and continued the road trip.
The Q and now the Q2 is about half ot the time with me wherever i am and in a week she will fly with me to Costa Rica and i am very excited to use her there.
The abundant wildlife in Costa Rica is the reason to find a solution to do decent macro using a add-on lens/filter.
Underwater we use a WA tecnique we call CFWA (Closed Focus Wide Angle) where we use lenses like f.e. the Sigma 15mm EX DG or similar wide angle lenses who can focus very near but still have a usuable DOF.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

I'll accept the images in the first post as illustration of your point, but non-Leica images for display are not allowed on this forum. Any images not meant to illustrate a technical point should be made with Leica cameras and/or lenses and posted in the dedicated image threads and -forums.

• Like 2

One point: As the Q/Q2 has a 28 mm lens, doing full macro with a close-up lens is going to get your subject very close to the front of the lens, making lighting difficult, creating a steep perspective and disturbing live things like insects. In other words: it is not the most suitable camera for this application. However, fine semi-macro results have been obtained with the shortest setting of the lens.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Jaapv for your information for a new user.
yes the images above are not Leica and i know that non Leica photos they are not allowed to show here.
For this reason the pictures in the Leica Photos Tread i posted are strictly Leica Q.

I can cancel the pictures if you wish, they where posted to explain what i photograph.

Chris

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

In other words: it is not the most suitable camera for this application. Hoever, fine semi-macro results have been obtained with the shortest setting of the lens.

I am aware of this problem and for this reason i am looking for hints of experienced Q2 users.
I would like to have a 3x strenght add-on lens as this makes it probably much easier to handle and illuminate.

Chris

I pulled the trigger and gifted myself:

one Leica ELPRO 55 close-up filter
one Heliopan 49mm to 52mm adapter
one Kaiser macro LED  ring Lamp
one cheap tripod to put the lamp wherever i need it if i need side light

Remarks:

The ELPRO 52 is twin lens and very nice pice of glass, neat leather box and adapter rings included for aprox 350$, spotless LEICA Quality!

The Kaiser KR90 is a sturdy aluminum ring with powerful 1500 lumen daylight LED's inside, charger, several step-down rings included for approx 350$
Using the step-down ring the KR90 can be screwed - using the 49-52mm and 52 -> 77mm adapter ring on the front of the Q/Q2's lens OR in front of the ELPRO 52
No vigneting produced by the ring lamp is visible, nor with the ELPRO52 nor with the ring lamp screwed on the Q2's lens

Excitd to get some critters in front of the new setup!

Chris

• Like 2

Well, the Kaiser KR90 looks somehow "silly" on the tiny Q2, but it does the trick and that is important

• Like 4

On 11/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, PhotoCruiser said:

I pulled the trigger and gifted myself:

one Leica ELPRO 55 close-up filter
one Heliopan 49mm to 52mm adapter
one Kaiser macro LED  ring Lamp
one cheap tripod to put the lamp wherever i need it if i need side light

Remarks:

The ELPRO 52 is twin lens and very nice pice of glass, neat leather box and adapter rings included for aprox 350$, spotless LEICA Quality!

The Kaiser KR90 is a sturdy aluminum ring with powerful 1500 lumen daylight LED's inside, charger, several step-down rings included for approx 350$
Using the step-down ring the KR90 can be screwed - using the 49-52mm and 52 -> 77mm adapter ring on the front of the Q/Q2's lens OR in front of the ELPRO 52
No vigneting produced by the ring lamp is visible, nor with the ELPRO52 nor with the ring lamp screwed on the Q2's lens

Excitd to get some critters in front of the new setup!

Chris

Just curious. Why did you choose the Elpro 52 instead of a Marumi 49mm Close-Up filter? Those are 5X. Mostly I’m wondering if the Elpro 52 will yield better results. Did you compare? 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Leica Guy:

Just curious. Why did you choose the Elpro 52 instead of a Marumi 49mm Close-Up filter? Those are 5X. Mostly I’m wondering if the Elpro 52 will yield better results. Did you compare? 

I had earlier some mixed results on other cameras with close-up filters so i wanted to try the ELPRO 52 and i could do that at my Leica Dealership.
test piux looked good and i go a good deal so i got the Leica ELPRO 52, hoping that it's the best one.
No i never used the Marumi, i know that people talk good about it but i guess that the twin lens Leica one has the better optical quality.

Whoever will come to Costa Rica within the next 6 Months is welcome to bring his Marumi and we can do some tests with both filters.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, PhotoCruiser said:

I leave in 2 days to Costa Rica for 6 months so i am a bit short of time to look for critters here in Switzerland.
But as soon i am in Costa Rica i will start to take als macro pictures.

Chris

Considerably more interesting bugs to photograph in Costa Rica than in Switzerland. ;)

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Considerably more interesting bugs to photograph in Costa Rica than in Switzerland.

Well, more photogenic ones than in Switzerland but the backdraw is that some of them have to be handled with care

However i am excited to have time to use my macro lens on the Q2, but i fear that will not happen before January when the xmas business is done.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about Leica's macro filters, namely ELPRO 2 (16542) and the newer ELPRO E52 (14125). Will any of these or both work with the Q2? If the older one works (initially designed for R lenses according to Leica), even better as it costs a fraction of the newer one. But even if it doesn't, do we know explicitly and certainly that the new one does work, since the Q/Q2 was not listed as compatible initially? Can we see pictures shot with it? 

Also, I see Marumi filters being mentioned as alternatives that can do much of the same job. On their site they list some, including the DHG Achromat Macro 200 (+5) and DHG Achromat Macro 330 (+3) -- again, not sure if these will work on the Q2 and what is the difference between the two Marumi models (guessing magnification, but unsure as to the numbers' meaning).

Thank you very much!

Edited by acg69

Hi acg69,
i have the ELPRO 52 and i made some quick tests but too lousy to show here.
However, it looks to me that the ELPRO 52 works great and i could not find any particular problems diopters usually do, soft corners and  cromatic abbreation in first.
The only one showing the resolution is one of a part of a Swiis Franc bill of very fine printed lines and it show a good resolution.
I guess i could get in troubles showing the photo here as it's forbidden to reproduce money bills, so i will not upload it.

The main problem is the short focus distance as this creates two challenges
a) keeping a life animal calm enough to be able to shoot f/16 and low exposure times only a few inches away fom it
b) using a camera mounted strobe there is/may be shadow on the lower part of the photo (what i cropped in the photo)

The ring light i have works fine, but due the size the object must be about same level as lens as the ring light will touch the bottom if shooting diagnoally from above.

The best would be two wireless strobes, one each side of the lens or a very small diameter ring strobe.

Fortunately i am used to do what we Underwater photographers call CFWA Close Focus Wide Angle photography, is didi that also using the Nikon D800 and the Sigma 15mm.

My plan was to work less here in Costa Rica and dedicate more time to photography,
especially testing the ELPRO 52 in deepth, but unfortunately a already weak season turned in a total disaster.
Now i am shutting down and hopefully can leave in the last recue flight for all lainamerica stuck swiss people,
once there i will have a lot of time to run tests with the ELPRO 52 and work on upping my flickr account (or move the best over to a new site)

However, the ELPRO 52 is certainly a expensive diopter, but until now i could not find any negative points and , HEY IT'S A LEICA!

Chris