Fake Leica Lens

Attasit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering buying a used Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH Black Chrome with B&P. But I rarely buy a used lens from an individual seller. So a curiosity pop in my head before I go ahead with the deal. 

Is there a possibility of this lens be a fake Leica?

Does a fake leica lens (modern lens, say less than 10 years old, exist?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Attasit said:

I am considering buying a used Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH Black Chrome with B&P. But I rarely buy a used lens from an individual seller. So a curiosity pop in my head before I go ahead with the deal. 

Is there a possibility of this lens be a fake Leica?

Thanks.

Sounds iffy - whats B&P?

If you are buying in person, I think it would be pretty obvious. If not, just make sure you look very carefully at the photos and be aware of the reputation of the seller. As far as I understand, there were some fakes of earlier lenses, mostly using Soviet versions as the base of the fake, but for something modern I think it would be too time consuming and difficult to make something that could pass off as a Leica lens for anything other than a quick glance. In that case, they are more likely to just steal someone else's photos and try to get your money first before delivering nothing. There might be some possibility of a fake of a special version if there is a large price difference...for example, some people have tried to pass off regular repainted bodies as rarer black paint versions, but I do not believe this has been done for lenses...at least not standard run lenses.

If the price is weirdly low, it is of course possible that the seller either does not know what they are selling, or in rarer cases, they might be trying to move stolen property. I believe Leica has a list of serial numbers you an check against if you are concerned...you can get the serial number if it is visible or the seller will give it to you, and check with Leica as to whether it has been marked stolen.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

13 hours ago, Attasit said:

I think not : faking a Summilux asph in a decent/credible way is far more costly, than, just as examples, faking a Thambar… or maybe even a Hologon M... or faking a real Summilux 1st version into a Summilux Screw Mount… or faking a "three crown Swedish Army" lens...  : a lttle well made work can bring significant addon value, .on old collectibles.

(btw… I think that the ULTIMATE "non-fakable"  lens is the Compur Summicron.. ;))

Thanks guys. Here are the pictures from the seller.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I met the seller and the lens look and feel solid and legit as a leica lens (I owned several leica lens FYI but have never owned this version of 50 Summilux ASPH BC).

Pictures quality is also solid, sharp wide open with great micro contrast and drop off of sharpness from focus to out of focus zone.

Box and papers check out with correct serial number on all papers and boxes (both silver and brown cardboard boxes).

Attasit,   As suggested before, I would ask for the lens serial number and verify with Leica.  More often the lens is real but might have optical decenter issues or oil on the aperture blades.  I would ask the seller for return guarantee in writing.  If you were buying via a site like eBay, you would have some buyer protections.  Unless the seller was local and did the return and sale in writing, I would not buy it.  You also run the risk of the item being hot, i.e. stolen merchandise.  Just my opinion and experience.  I personally gave up buying used long ago after being stung with a lens that looked pristine, yet needed Leica to repair the optics.  If you have doubts, I suggest you don't buy it.  r/ Mark 

PS...Best advice..."Trust, but verify".

Edited by LeicaR10

5 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

Attasit,   As suggested before, I would ask for the lens serial number and verify with Leica.  More often the lens is real but might have optical decenter issues or oil on the aperture blades.  I would ask the seller for return guarantee in writing.  If you were buying via a site like eBay, you would have some buyer protections.  Unless the seller was local and did the return and sale in writing, I would not buy it.  You also run the risk of the item being hot, i.e. stolen merchandise.  Just my opinion and experience.  I personally gave up buying used long ago after being stung with a lens that looked pristine, yet needed Leica to repair the optics.  If you have doubts, I suggest you don't buy it.  r/ Mark 

PS...Best advice..."Trust, but verify".

Thanks. This is a face-to-face deal. I will check it out with Leica. The lens looks pristine, very new, almost like it has never been used. I don't doubt the quality at all as I tested the pictures on decentering issue when I met him. Looks great and even both sides.

Just curious if there is a fake leica modern lens out there.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, a5m said:

Are there fake lenses of any brand? Only the Helios 44 comes to mind but, who really cares...

This is a non issue. Surprised it was even discussed to this extent. Your lens is authentic. Looks beautiful, as the images from it will. Enjoy 🙂

Thanks 😊