SL2 & LEICA FOTOS 2.0 - Has anyone gotten it to work?

NickTheo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello - received my SL2 today and have been putting it through the paces...  

One of the things I was eager to see if they had improved at all is the new FOTOS app integration.  FOTOS 1.0 on the the Q2 and SL1 has been nothing short of awful so I had high hopes for this new iteration.  

So far with FOTOS 2.0 I have not even been able to complete a full connection between SL2 camera and iPhone 11 Pro running latest iOS 13 OS even once...  Sometimes it connects (but takes forever to do so) but only the live view functionality works but not the image download or review.  Most times it doesn't complete a connection at all, I join the camera wifi and then the wheel spins and spins and the blue light on the camera blinks and then nothing on the app happens. 

I have tried pairing and repairing the phone to camera several times, restarted the phone, restarted the camera, etc.   Has anyone gotten this thing to work?  Even when the camera says "App Connected" the app seems to spin it's wheel like it isn't working.

I have to say this is not a great look for a 6k camera that it doesn't work with the latest/greatest smartphone and their own app out of the box, especially when Leica is looking to charge for FOTOS PRO now.  Please help if anyone can.  Thanks.

Edited by NickTheo

Hi, 

I too am so disappointed with the functionality of the update.

i cannot understand why the app always reverts to the P exposure mode when you switch between Remote and the viewer modes. Generally I shoot in M and it’s unnecessarily annoying to have to re-select the exposure mode when switching functions of the app.

Also, how do you select the Pro version. I entered all the info, signed up for the subscription, selected Fotos Pro in settings but the app seems identical to the standard Fotos.

And another thing.......what’s the use of USB-c if LIS doesn’t see the SL2!

I love the menu system. I loved the SL menus but the SL2 menus are superb.

Let’s just hope these issues are just because it’s early days.

Grant

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, GHPhoto said:

i cannot understand why the app always reverts to the P exposure mode when you switch between Remote and the viewer modes. Generally I shoot in M and it’s unnecessarily annoying to have to re-select the exposure mode when switching functions of the app.

That has been a characteristic of Fotos in earlier versions so it is a design decision.  I also think it is wrong, and should be pushed back against.  Fotos should bring the camera up in whatever state it was put in before the connection is made.  This is no more work than the present organization

present:  Connect;Send state mode P AF etc

should be:  Connect; Read state and display it.

and the second option would be a lot less annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

As far as I can tell PlayStore is still offering FOTOS 1.3 from October.  The 2.0 for Android has not appeared yet

I have just seen your message and found it's available for my phone (Android)

Maybe I'll be able to test after dinner..

I have three Moto G phones (cheap, used in different parts of the world).  The Moto G Android 5 that I use at home doesn't even see Fotos.  The Moto G5 running Android 7 downloaded Fotos and it seems to work, although it still has the problem that a camera with over 1000 pictures in 4 folders confuses it.  It can't decide where to start bringing up icons.  My Moto G6 running Android 9 sees the new Fotos but can't download it.  I think there is some protection that is keeping it out.  

Sigh.  Open source phones.  I'll keep working on this.  I didn't find Fotos on iOS to be so tricky, of course. 

I didn’t have any problem on iphone 11, ipad mini and ipad pro but I son’t see any added value except on ipad the link with Lightroom which works fine but is more a gadget.

Concerning the gps transmission of data, I see nothing. As I am still witing for my SL2, I hve made the tests with my CL.

I read Jono's piece and how he had used the two card slots to capture images in both DNG and JPEGs. The DNG card is in the first position. I was able to connect to both an iPhone and iPad Pro, but no images would upload. When I took out the card with the DNG files and moved the JPEG card to the #1 position, the pictures loaded.

I suspect that, no matter how good the Fotos app is, 75 90 meg files are going to scare it half to death.

Once uploaded to my iPad, there was, in face, quite easy and fast LR integration. All in, pretty pleased with the way it is working, but note to all: big raw files will scare your Apple devices.

Edited by johnbuckley