Sigma 135mm

jankojanko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, BlackDoc said:

I got the lens finally. 

In comparison to the AF of the SL-II the AF with the SL-I is worse at low light.   I keep on taking pics and will report....

Hi. Are you able to comment further on the performance of this lens with the SL2 especially with continuous AF. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hi !

The limit of AFC is NOT the lens but the cam.   

AFC is "sufficient" as i am using this mode just in special settings. There might be are better cameras to be used in sports and there are better AFC  mode cameras ( Fuji XT-3, Sony, but Nikon "Z6/7" too).  

In special i have tried the AFC in bad lightened  riding halls using ISO up to  3200-6400  to get times around 1/640 or 1/800 (EXIF are included)

Some impressions without "artistic standards"  as examples:

Problem here: Horse and rider are approaching directly to me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

another example same problem and even nearer and "special light":

Different problem: Holding the AF while passing different obstacles

same here but more light....

completely different: A-Capella, dancing, but sufficient, too

I hope this helps?!

Don´t hesitate and ask (probably PN is better?).

Regards, Joern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

How you like the lens overall? 

Still think the auto-focus is not great. No complains about sharpness, bokeh whatever. It delivers beautiful results but I miss too many shots due to auto-focus. I must say when I use 'field' in the menu it works best.

• Thanks 1

Gerade eben schrieb jankojanko:

Still think the auto-focus is not great. No complains about sharpness, bokeh whatever. It delivers beautiful results but I miss too many shots due to auto-focus. I must say when I use 'field' in the menu it works best.

Same to me, but in comparison to the "Z mount" Nikon the problem is NOT the lens but the AF system of the cam.

3 minutes ago, BlackDoc said:

Same to me, but in comparison to the "Z mount" Nikon the problem is NOT the lens but the AF system of the cam.

Could be but I don't have any issues with other lenses when it comes to auto-focussing. Including the sigma 45mm.

Edited by jankojanko

vor 20 Minuten schrieb jankojanko:

I use the SL. Both caf and saf (I use saf mostly). It's hunting a lot and slow. 

Okay- i am using both cams. And there is a big difference between SL (bad) and SL-II (much better) by using the 135mm. Taking pics in AFC e.g. horse riding competition and the rider comes directly towards you nine  of ten pics are sharp at the right point in fast serial mode. No chance to get this result with the SL-I and the Sigma 135.
If you try to take photos of a very fast dog the SL-II might fail - in this case the  Sigma 135- Nikon Z6/Z7 cams are much better. The reason might be the the used cam but not the glass. 

And for example fast dancing singers - difficult light and LED light problem, but reduced to the fast AF and sharpness of the SL-II and Sigma 135 everything is fine

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlackDoc said:

Okay- i am using both cams. And there is a big difference between SL (bad) and SL-II (much better) by using the 135mm. Taking pics in AFC e.g. horse riding competition and the rider comes directly towards you nine  of ten pics are sharp at the right point in fast serial mode. No chance to get this result with the SL-I and the Sigma 135.
If you try to take photos of a very fast dog the SL-II might fail - in this case the  Sigma 135- Nikon Z6/Z7 cams are much better. The reason might be the the used cam but not the glass. 

And for example fast dancing singers - difficult light and LED light problem, but reduced to the fast AF and sharpness of the SL-II and Sigma 135 everything is fine

I'm not talking about fast moving objects or low light situations. I'm taking portraits in my studio with enough light.