Suggestions on Landscape Lenses

IntrepidTraveller6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/21/2019 at 8:30 AM, IntrepidTraveller6 said:

Anyone have any other suggestions or can give me insight on their experience with the choices i have listed?

I shoot with Leica film rangefinders and Fuji X-Pro2 digital cameras.

For wide landscapes, I use a 21mm Leitz for my rangefinder and a 12mm Zeiss for my Fuji. I prefer to match my 21 with a 35mm and match my 12mm with a 16-55mm zoom.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ianman said:

My first reaction to this is... well, it's probably best that I don't post it.

My second reaction is that the first line of the first post in this thread mentions "I plan on bringing my M240", which we can all imagine means a Leica M240 and not an M240 machine gun. The OP mentions in passing that he also has an X-Pro2. It's quite obvious to anyone who possesses and uses a minimum of 2 brains cells that the OP is asking for suggestions for an M-mount lens. Shock! Horror! It may be another brand. It also makes sense that the M-mount lens in question could possibly be mounted on the aforementioned X-Pro2. Armed this knowledge can we really assume that asking the question on a Leica forum is such a bad idea? 

Maybe you should open you mind and expand your horizons a bit... who knows it may even help improve your photography.

Full disclosure: I own a Fuji X-Pro2, a Nikon FM2 and a Horizon 202 (I seem to collect 2s), I hope Mr Kilmister will allow me to still participate on the LUF.

If you read my sentiments in the post I made, you will hopefully agree that I made a friendly gesture of wishing the OP a pleasant visit to the Azores.

It all became so confusing over what camera he wanted to attach to a range of very wide angle lenses. If people can't be clear then the discussion can become confusing. If I was confused then that is normal ... old age probably?  Of course Mr K will allow you to participate. What makes you think Mr K wouldn't? It is a forum. Even old idiots like me are allowed to participate so there is no reason for excluding someone with your superiority. 

10 hours ago, ianman said:

My first reaction to this is... well, it's probably best that I don't post it.

My second reaction is that the first line of the first post in this thread mentions "I plan on bringing my M240", which we can all imagine means a Leica M240 and not an M240 machine gun. The OP mentions in passing that he also has an X-Pro2. It's quite obvious to anyone who possesses and uses a minimum of 2 brains cells that the OP is asking for suggestions for an M-mount lens. Shock! Horror! It may be another brand. It also makes sense that the M-mount lens in question could possibly be mounted on the aforementioned X-Pro2. Armed this knowledge can we really assume that asking the question on a Leica forum is such a bad idea? 

Maybe you should open you mind and expand your horizons a bit... who knows it may even help improve your photography.

Full disclosure: I own a Fuji X-Pro2, a Nikon FM2 and a Horizon 202 (I seem to collect 2s), I hope Mr Kilmister will allow me to still participate on the LUF.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:09 PM, Peter Kilmister said:

My first reaction is that if you are a Fuji user then what are you doing asking questions on a Leica lens forum? The f/1:3.8 24mm Elmar lens is a star. That is on a Leica camera. I have no idea how it would work on any other camera. Have you tried a Fuji forum rather than asking Leica users?

BTW, I still hope you enjoy the Azores. I first went to Lisbon in 1982 when I worked there for a couple of months. I fell in love with it then and, even after all these years, I still love it. The people are so caring.

Sadly most visitors now just want a selfie before they rush off to take more selfies in Seville and Barcelona. Pathetic behaviour in my opinion. Sorry for the rant.

Yes I'm a fuji user. Yes I meant Leica M240.

I plan on sharing my M mount lenses on my fuji camera. I do not see the point in having a $3000+ lens and limit its use to one camera. Especially when adapters are inexpensive. I know I won't get the same IQ on my fuji but that's fine really. M lenses are just fun to use! 

In my OP i said I may bring my M240... I only have doubts because the Azores sees rain one out of every two days in January. My fuji is weather resistant and so are the native lenses. 

Then again I may just bring both. 

9 hours ago, lct said:

As far as Fuji bodies are concerned, Leica M 28/2 v1 & v2, 28/2.8 asph v1, 24/3.8 and 21/3.4 asph have no disturbing color shifts on my X-E2. Those same lenses exhibit more or less soft corners on the X-E2 depending upon focal length and aperture mainly. Edge to edge sharpness is hard to achieve below f/5.6 with those lenses, due to the X-E2's sensor stack thickness i suspect. For sharper results, better choose cameras designed or adapted for M lenses like Leica Ms, Leica digital CL, Ricoh GXR A 12 M mount, Kolari mod Sony A7s and, presumably, Leica SL, SL2 and T/TL/TL2 i have no experience with. FWIW.

I've looked at the new CL as a secondary body. I just cant justify the expense to go that route.

Fuji's are cheaper, fun to use, tactile, and produce good IQ. I'm also fairly invested in the system with too many bodies and lenses.

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Why it is always excuse to buy more for no reason? Trip, so what? How did you manage to take similar pictures before?

Apparently 'landscape' is now defined as 'all I can see' and not a qualitative judgement. Much cheaper than buying a new lens I think NASA may be able to provide a picture of the Azores from space, that will beat any 12mm whatsit. 

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes - "all that I can see" is exactly what makes the picture stand out. The interrelationships and context can be everything.

Lone Aspen - M9, 21mm Elmarit v.1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

On 11/21/2019 at 12:12 PM, farnz said:

An option you might not have considered instead of using an ultra-wide and fighting minimised subjects, key-stoning, Italian flag, and vignetting is to 'pattern' shoot with your 35 Summicron stopped down and stitch when you get back to base.  It pays to set exposure manually to avoid light and dark areas caused by autoexposure variations.

Pete.

Even hand held, panoramas are easy to do with 24 to 55s. I created a great pano of the Grand Teton range with a 189 S lens but on a tripod, in M to keep identical exposures as Pete said.

Bill