Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a trip planned for January 2020 to the Azores and Lisbon. I plan on bringing my M240 with 35 Cron, and 28 Ultron VM. I want to do some landscape and seascape images and would like to get a wide or ultra wide angle lens. I'm looking for suggestions or user experience on what is available. Right now my top choices are the Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 (which i can use on my Xpro2 as well) or Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 which will be cheaper but won't be useful on my crop sensor (I already have that focal length covered). 

My other option would be the Leica 21mm f3.4 SEM... which I hear is an excellent lens but would require me to sell some gear fast to afford it. 

Anyone have any other suggestions or can give me insight on their experience with the choices i have listed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wides have limited value so I would be careful.   Their value is rendering close objects larger than distant ones as compared to longer focal lengths.  

Using them for scenics will give a wide view,  but objects will appear smaller.  

CV made a 21 4.0 that was reasonably good and inexpensive.  I keep my 21 2.8 pre asph and am happy.

I have never been happy my original 12 & 15 on digital.   No knowledge on “improved” models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any lens can be used effectively for landscapes.

From 90mm (and above of course)

Loch Roag, Isle of Lewis by Ian Mantripp, on Flickr

to 21mm (and less of course)

Loch Sligachan, Isle of Skye (B863) by Ian Mantripp, on Flickr

If you really want to get a Leica 21mm and don't want to spend as much as the SEM, I can highly recommend the 21mm Elmarit ASPH which, for some reason, seems to be a forgotten lens. It was discontinued a few years ago but can easily be found as a secondhand bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having once fallen into the "wide angle trap" for landscape images I'd suggest one of the less expensive options unless you're a professional or expecting to produce prints  in the 3'x4' range. The CV 21/4 does a yeoman's job for me. I've had the CV 15/4.5 and it produced generally good photos with decent colors and sharpness...but that focal length (and I presume shorter) just made objects waaay too small. Over the years I've used stitching and often found that to be a good answer when I want to have good detail in my landscape images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

Having once fallen into the "wide angle trap" for landscape images I'd suggest one of the less expensive options unless you're a professional or expecting to produce prints  in the 3'x4' range. The CV 21/4 does a yeoman's job for me. I've had the CV 15/4.5 and it produced generally good photos with decent colors and sharpness...but that focal length (and I presume shorter) just made objects waaay too small. Over the years I've used stitching and often found that to be a good answer when I want to have good detail in my landscape images.

Widest i have gone is the 16mm 1.4 on my Fuji. Which is 24mm equivalent. Only times I have noticed it was too wide is when I clearly just needed to change lenses for the scene i was trying to capture. I know I will want a wide angle in my Leica M kit... my concern is if the VM 12 & 15mm will be just too wide. I fear they will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ianman said:

Any lens can be used effectively for landscapes.

From 90mm (and above of course)

Loch Roag, Isle of Lewis by Ian Mantripp, on Flickr

to 21mm (and less of course)

Loch Sligachan, Isle of Skye (B863) by Ian Mantripp, on Flickr

If you really want to get a Leica 21mm and don't want to spend as much as the SEM, I can highly recommend the 21mm Elmarit ASPH which, for some reason, seems to be a forgotten lens. It was discontinued a few years ago but can easily be found as a secondhand bargain.

I agree.. i have used longer lenses for landscapes as well. But given budget constraints I need to chose to go either wider like 21mm or more... or go with a longer lens like a 75mm or 90mm. Right now I have 28, 35, and 50mm covered. I'm banking on 50mm being long enough for my needs.

If I go long it will likely be 75mm at most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, tobey bilek said:

Wides have limited value so I would be careful.   Their value is rendering close objects larger than distant ones as compared to longer focal lengths.  

Using them for scenics will give a wide view,  but objects will appear smaller.  

CV made a 21 4.0 that was reasonably good and inexpensive.  I keep my 21 2.8 pre asph and am happy.

I have never been happy my original 12 & 15 on digital.   No knowledge on “improved” models.

That 21mm f4 VM might be interesting. I will do some research and see.. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I visited several islands in the Azores in May 2016 for a 30th wedding anniversary holiday. I mainly used a 50mm, and occasionally a 24mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IntrepidTraveller6 said:

I agree.. i have used longer lenses for landscapes as well. But given budget constraints I need to chose to go either wider like 21mm or more... or go with a longer lens like a 75mm or 90mm. Right now I have 28, 35, and 50mm covered. I'm banking on 50mm being long enough for my needs.

If I go long it will likely be 75mm at most. 

More often than not, I'm out with the 28mm Summaron and the 90mm Summicron. I find it's a great combination for landscapes.

If I want to go a bit lighter, I may take the 90mm Tele-Elmarit which, much as the Summaron, can easily slip into a pocket.

I have a 75mm Summilux but use it much at all for landscapes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ianman said:

More often than not, I'm out with the 28mm Summaron and the 90mm Summicron. I find it's a great combination for landscapes.

If I want to go a bit lighter, I may take the 90mm Tele-Elmarit which, much as the Summaron, can easily slip into a pocket.

I have a 75mm Summilux but use it much at all for landscapes. 

How do you find the frame lines for the 90 vs 75? And which body are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IntrepidTraveller6 said:

How do you find the frame lines for the 90 vs 75? And which body are you using?

Bodies are M9 and MP.

What do you mean by how do I find the frame lines?  They are mechanically selected when the lens is attached. If you want to see the composition with different frame lines to those currently displayed, just use the frame line selector lever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ianman said:

Bodies are M9 and MP.

What do you mean by how do I find the frame lines?  They are mechanically selected when the lens is attached. If you want to see the composition with different frame lines to those currently displayed, just use the frame line selector lever.

I have an M240. The frame line selector lever was not included on this body. I don't own either focal length so I can't see the frame lines in my camera... only online. 

When looking online to see the comparison the 90mm seems very small and I could see needing either goggles or a viewfinder magnifier to more often nail focus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For city work (Lisbon) you need to be so careful with wider than 24mm (converging verticles). I would think 24 is as wide as you would need on the islands. Stating the obvious, you get hight as well as width which ca be difficult (but not impossible as Ian demonstrates) to fill. All IMHO of course! Whatever you take you can work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IntrepidTraveller6 said:

I have an M240. The frame line selector lever was not included on this body. I don't own either focal length so I can't see the frame lines in my camera... only online. 

When looking online to see the comparison the 90mm seems very small and I could see needing either goggles or a viewfinder magnifier to more often nail focus. 

Oh well, nobody ever uses the frame line selector, it's a relic from the past... or so I'm told 🙄 

Can't LiveView help you with either of those issues? 

I have used a magnifier with the 90mm but probably not for landscapes where I'm likely to focus at infinity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IntrepidTraveller6 said:

Which 24mm did you use? 

Elmar-M f/1:3.8 which is an excellent lens.

Enjoy your trip. Terceira and Faial were our favourite islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IntrepidTraveller6 said:

[...] My other option would be the Leica 21mm f3.4 SEM... which I hear is an excellent lens but would require me to sell some gear fast to afford it.

I have both SEM and Elmarit 21/2.8 asph, also CV 21/4 and 21/3.5 VM lenses. My favorite is the SEM but the VM 21/3.5 come close. It doesn't suffer from significant color shifts at edges and corners on the M240 so it is the lens i would choose if i were in your shoes. Beware that it exhibits some CA though but it can be fixed with modern raw converters.  For a short comparo with the CV 21/4 on M240, see here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lct said:

I have both SEM and Elmarit 21/2.8 asph, also CV 21/4 and 21/3.5 VM lenses. My favorite is the SEM but the VM 21/3.5 come close. It doesn't suffer from significant color shifts at edges and corners on the M240 so it is the lens i would choose if i were in your shoes. Beware that it exhibits some CA though but it can be fixed with modern raw converters.  For a short comparo with the CV 21/4 on M240, see here.

Thanks that is very helpful. 

I'm surprised at the amount of Italian flag on the 21 f4. I thought that type of issue was only found on the M9 bodies. Something to do with the distance between the lens and sensor being too close. 

Have you found the 21/3.5 to be prone to flare?  

And I think the SEM would be my dream wide angle. Having already bought the M240 and 35 Cron this year I do not think I can afford it... especially if my wife knew the prices!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An option you might not have considered instead of using an ultra-wide and fighting minimised subjects, key-stoning, Italian flag, and vignetting is to 'pattern' shoot with your 35 Summicron stopped down and stitch when you get back to base.  It pays to set exposure manually to avoid light and dark areas caused by autoexposure variations.

Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By gwpics
      Today I took a trip out to continue my efforts to "recentre" my work away from street photography. At the moment it is difficult because I am having fairly severe problems walking, but this is one of the resulting images:
      "Walking in fields of gold" - Leica M240 + 24mm Elmarit-M f2.8 ASPH.
      Gerry  
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By gwpics
      Second image from my recent outing.
      Leica M240 + 35mm Summarit f2.5 @ 250iso
      Gerry

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By gwpics
      Something a little different for me - looking north over Houghton Down: the beauty of the Hampshire countryside today.
      Leica M240 + 35mm Summarit-M f2.5. 
      Gerry

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By LeonTheFirst
      Here are some photos of Pasvik (near Norilsk), I took in my Leica Q2. What a wonderful camera! I am really satisfied with it 

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By pthean
      Hi All, 
      I put the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic on my SL2. It is not a recognized lens, so I chose the Summilux M1:1.4/35 ASPH. 11873 lens profile.  Everything works great except the Aperture setting recorded on the shot does not match the aperture setting that I used on the Lens. I have also tried the 2 other M 35mm lens profiles in the menu with different but still incorrect Aperture recorded in the shot.
      Can someone share with me how to capture the right Aperture used? Do I need to create a custom lens profile? And if so, how do I do that?
      Thanks much for your help.
      -patrick.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy