Leica SL2 and flash

caissa

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Has anyone actually tried a Panasonic flash on the SL2? There's a rumour on the FB SL2 page that they will work in future and may actually work now.

Unlikely as the pins are in completely different places. Would need an adaptor.

Someone just needs to convince Leica to stop trying to sell flash guns (which are ALWAYS half arsed) and just open the protocols to Godox, Elinchrom,  Nissin and Profoto. What they'd lose in flash sales they'd more than make up in system sales. Many studio shooters wouldn't even consider an SL unless a properly compatible trigger is available. It's fine for old farts like me who almost exclusively work with manual flash but many don't.

Gordon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Someone just needs to convince Leica to stop trying to sell flash guns (which are ALWAYS half arsed) and just open the protocols to Godox, Elinchrom,  Nissin and Profoto. What they'd lose in flash sales they'd more than make up in system sales. Many studio shooters wouldn't even consider an SL unless a properly compatible trigger is available. It's fine for old farts like me who almost exclusively work with manual flash but many don't.

Gordon

+1

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, kuau said:

Which is the correct Nissin MG10 to order? I assume that the included air system does not work and I would meet to get the Leica SFC1 to make it all work?

Nissin MG10 is a flash that can take firmware download as it has a micro SD slot. So it does not matter which MG10 as MG10s need either a Nissin Air 10 or Leica SFC1 Commander to trigger the flash wirelessly. The firmware for Nissin MG10 to be compatible with Leica SFC1 is V5 or newer (not sure if there is any newer firmware than v5). My paired and work well.

v5 firmware can be downloaded from Nissin Digital website.

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Nissin MG10 is a flash that can take firmware download as it has a micro SD slot. So it does not matter which MG10 as MG10s need either a Nissin Air 10 or Leica SFC1 Commander to trigger the flash wirelessly. The firmware for Nissin MG10 to be compatible with Leica SFC1 is V5 or newer (not sure if there is any newer firmware than v5). My paired and work well.

v5 firmware can be downloaded from Nissin Digital website.

sorry still confused are you saying you can use the Nissin Air 10 on the SL2 to fire the MG10? Or it only works with the SFC1

On 12/25/2019 at 10:45 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

I cannot agree more

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:45 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

Gordon, I totally agree with you. I am going to send an email to Leica CEO Mathias Harsch in the hope that Leica will open up the protocols to 3rd party manufactures, and I would suggest others do the same. However, when the subject is brought there is a major lack of response on the forum from members, so I do not hold much hope of a big response or anything changing. Ask for a thinner camera (with worse battery life) and pages are filled up...

John

1 hour ago, jto555 said:

Gordon, I totally agree with you. I am going to send an email to Leica CEO Mathias Harsch in the hope that Leica will open up the protocols to 3rd party manufactures, and I would suggest others do the same. However, when the subject is brought there is a major lack of response on the forum from members, so I do not hold much hope of a big response or anything changing. Ask for a thinner camera (with worse battery life) and pages are filled up...

John

...... I think that's because the majority of Leica users have given up any hope of them ever bothering to get flash implemented in a consistent and workable way. I often wonder if anyone at Wetzlar has actually seen a flashgun, let alone tried to use one on their cameras. 

We've had the same issue with sh*tty cable releases which are overpriced switches, usually with odd proprietary plugs and no basic firmware compatibility to allow the use of wireless releases etc. from 3rd parties. 

They must have spent millions developing the SL/SL2 and yet they still remain completely blinkered with regard to these and a number of other issues that prevent a good camera being great. 

• Like 1

Flash support on the SL line is a joke: some weedy rebadged Nissin flashes at double price and an expensive potato masher that only works if you send it in for a firmware upgrade.

They should just join the Panasonic / Olympus line and get access to Godox and other flashes.  They would gain more in body sales than they'd lose in flash margins.

What I don't understand: The company priolite offers a perfect flash system for Leica (transmitter and everything since more than a year). They are not cheap, but cheaper than profoto for example. Still hardly anybody buys them. I have tried it and they work perfectly (robust and easy to setup). (But I use flash rarely, so I did not buy any flash system. This is probably typical for many Leica users). Rather people keep on complaining and asking for the impossible (a change in strategy). Even if all this happens, a solution along that road will come earliest in a few years.

So I simply think people have no real problem.  The solution is there, but hardly anybody uses it. Just this endless list of complaints.  Ridiculous.
If you have a real problem, open a self-help group and together buy one priolite set and test it in depth. Then you will know in a few days if it offers what you need or if you have to wait another year or two for something else.

If you can afford one of the new noctiluxes, then the priolite set is just a fraction of this.

(The priolite system actually works with almost any camera brand, so even if you go away from Leica, there is no danger to be stranded with unusabe stuff. Unlike the Leica flashes, that nobody but Leica can use). I was surprised when they announced that they will offer a Leica transmitter (about 2 years ago), because it was only for a small potential user group. And now I have the impression, it was maybe a bad decision (I wonder how many (or probably few) transmitters for Leica they sold in the last two years).

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jrp said:

Flash support on the SL line is a joke: some weedy rebadged Nissin flashes at double price and an expensive potato masher that only works if you send it in for a firmware upgrade.

They should just join the Panasonic / Olympus line and get access to Godox and other flashes.  They would gain more in body sales than they'd lose in flash margins.

The MG10 needs latest firmware to recognise Leica SFC-1. The double in price is because the lack in volume. It is only business 101.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:29 AM, jto555 said:

John

Did he respond? 

Well I finally got my Nissin MG10 and a Leica SF C1,

I updated the firmware on the MG10 to ver .7

I have the SF C1 properly paired with the MG10

Couple questions is there a newer firmware for the SF C1?

I have the SF C1 on my SL 2 and all seems to be working I have my SL 2 in M mode and the SF C1 in TTL this seems to work though I can't get the Auto Zoom to work on the flash. I have it set to "A" on the SF C1 yet when I zoom in and out it does nothing. I can manual adjust the zoom of the MG 10 using the SF C1 controller though.  I have no idea if this even is supposed to work.