Leica Fotos (Pro) {merged}

Matsaly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use an M10-D (and TL2 & SL), and the Fotos App is useful everyone and then for reviewing pictures (over a coffee), and changing settings every now and then.  The previous version of Fotos worked okay (you have to wait for the green flashing light on the back of your camera to go out before connecting), and version 2.0 seems to do pretty much the same thing.  Haven't noticed any improvement or anything worse - much the same.  It's a useful App, and I have no interest downloading DNG files to my phone.  I seem to recall that I could download DNGs to me iPad Pro - I take it I can no longer do that.

The subscription idea is not a good one - I imagine Leica will ditch it before too long.

I own two M10 cameras and an SL along with a host of lenses. Absolute insanity on Leica’s part. Sony and Fuji both supply apps that don’t cost and certainly don’t require me to have an account. WTF is that about besides to exploit their user base in some way.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cldp said:

I would be willing to pay for GPS data from the iPhone recorded in the camera’s exif file. That would be an excellent asset for those of us who travel often. Without that, Foto Pro doesn’t really aide my workflow. 

Sadly 2.0 doesn’t provide any geotagging. 1.3 supported the M in remote mode but no more. The Q2 has no support even though the manual says Fotos can be used. I don’t understand why the app developers have so much trouble with this. For Nikon shooters SnapBridge works well over Bluetooth to geotag in exif. 

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Fotos (Pro) {merged}
2 hours ago, danielmfrank said:

Marketing geniuses would understand the value expectations within the particular platform (iOS/iPad OS). It's very clear that Leica does not understand anything about that market. Being Leica does not allow you to wildly violate marketplace expectations. It allows you to charge about a 1.5x price premium; for anything more you'd better have a great story.

(And yes, I know rnl was being facetious!)

If Leica really wants $50 a year from i-device users, there is a way they can get that without making themselves look completely out of touch. That would be to bundle a suite of services that includes the enhanced app features. Something like access to a premium online support forum, discounts on Leica events and workshops, etc. Use the apps as a gateway and get people to sign up for the premium program membership, and throw in a few enhanced app features as a sweetener. That sort of thing would increase owner loyalty and identification with the brand. I would probably pay for that, even though deep down I know it's kind of steep, because I like identifying as a Leica owner and feeling part of something special. Well, at least I would have, before Leica insulted me with this stunt.

They are out of touch.  I attended a Leica workshop in Utah.  The teacher / leader was great, the location, perfect, Leica support - completely absent.  I was promised that Leica lenses and cameras would be available to try - none, zero, not one lens from Leica and no cameras.  The teacher was provided with no lecture support whatsoever.  I attended a workshop with 3 attendees - we were outnumbered by Canon folks. 

I've attended Canon destination workshops - the leader has at least 1 and usually 2 Canon tech support persons with at least 6 loaded cases of cameras, lenses and batteries.  You want to try a 5dmkIV..here's 10.  A 1dxmkii - a dozen.  The leaders have transportation support and coordination support.

At a recent "bird walk" at the home of John James Audubon in Audubon Pennsylvania, Canon ran an even with their usual load of cameras and people. 

Canon sees workshops as an opportunity to spotlight their equipment and people.  The run at short term loss - but eventually pay for themselves in goodwill and sales of equipment.

I was told that Leica runs their workshops as a profit earning venture. 

Nobody twisted my arm to buy a Leica just as nobody is forcing me to buy an overpriced underperforming app.  I recently "voted" with my wallet.  I recently looked at cameras and chose a Canon over a Leica.  I looked at a SL2 at a local camera store and spoke with a Leica/Sigma rep who tried to convince me that Sigma EOS (canon) to Leica converters were just fine (they are not). I played with SL2 for a while - actually about 30 minutes off and on.  I met with the Canon rep and played with the Canon R.  I wound up buying another camera - a Canon R ($1799) instead of the $6000 SL2.  I was certainly influenced by the over $4000 that is remaining in pocket - but I did not see $4000 in quality difference between the products.  Further, the I was influenced by Canon - they promote and support their product (CPS and the like). 

The free Canon  app (canon connect) provides geotaging with a smartphone, live view, automatic transfer of exposures., full control and the like.

Leica, keep up the good work.  

Edited by rnl
  • Like 1

For all the people who are disappointed with this new marketing/sales/product strategy of Leica, I would suggest we let Leica know about our view. You can send an email to the top guy at Leica, Stefan Daniel who is responsible for all Leica camera products. His email address is Stefan.Daniel@leica-camera.com. If enough customers tell Leica that this strategy sucks, i think they will do something about it.

• Like 1

Please,

All this dumping on Leica for a $50 item. Complain about the cost of a replacement lens cap or something else. 
I appreciate that Leica finally provided a full screen iPad solution.

Thank you Leica.  
If I don’t want to buy into a subscription plan, I could use the free basic FOTOS. It’s still there.

If I didn’t have an iPad I would stay with FOTOS.

Pro for an iPhone is overkill, but it’s nice for an iPad.

Transferring a bunch of files is easier with a hardwire transfer that is fast and saves battery power. So I don’t use FOTOS for that, nor will I use FOTOS 2.0 Pro for bulk transfers.

But if I am in the landscape being able to see the scene live on a full iPad is very much appreciated, vs the smaller output.
The iPhone Screen Display with FOTOS wasn’t much better than the camera back screen. 

Would I like this “pro” app for free? Sure, just as I wish everything was free including my camera. But I wanted an iPad solution and now I have it.

Again, Leica, thanks for the iPad solution.

• Like 2

So far... it is still not optimized for iPad.  The iOS version is what’s installed, even though it’s version 2.0. I can tell because the app only takes about 1/2 the screen and there is an arrow on the bottom right to magnify.  The magnification works ok, but resolution is not as good, especially when using the on screen keyboard.

You will need to download the Leica Fotos for iPad app. If you simply update, you will get the phone version. 

So far, however, I can’t really tell a big difference.  I’ve signed up for the pro version, but I’m not sure I can see what additional features are available, other than that the app works natively in iPadOS. There is an icon to open Lightroom from an open image, but I can’t tell that this includes a subscription to LR (which I already subscribe to). Maybe additional online storage that I’m not aware of? I don’t use send RAW files to iOS because of the time involved. 

13 minutes ago, Omegahalo@gmail.com said:

So far... it is still not optimized for iPad.  The iOS version is what’s installed, even though it’s version 2.0. I can tell because the app only takes about 1/2 the screen and there is an arrow on the bottom right to magnify.  The magnification works ok, but resolution is not as good, especially when using the on screen keyboard.

Edited by ikc
Update

Of course, if the M11 were to introduce a subscription cost *per photo* - say 25 cents per shot - some people would probably laud it as a meaningful return to the days of shooting film 😉

Not sure it works for a tethering app though...

vor 2 Stunden schrieb ikc:

...There is an icon to open Lightroom from an open image, but I can’t tell that this includes a subscription to LR (which I already subscribe to).

My Impression is, that the "Pro"-version  only makes sense, if you do not have a Lightroom subscription for your device. So you actually pay for  Lightroom, not for the Fotos.App. If you already have Lightroom the "non-pro" version will do the same as you get with the "Pro" subscription.

If you want to use the app on an iPad, you can use the "normal" IOS-Version. And  you can use the iPad-Version on an iPhone (if anybody likes to do so...)  

So it seems to me that it all comes down to a complete inability of describing a product on Leica's side:

They are suggesting you pay for their app, when you really pay for a Lightroom subscription. They are suggesting you need an expensive app with subscription for an iPad, when you can use the "normal" version for the iPad as well (or as badly...). If I am wrong and it is not inability, I can only call it scam.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb IkarusJohn:

... I seem to recall that I could download DNGs to me iPad Pro - I take it I can no longer do that.

You can still download DNGs to your iPad (or even iPhone) with the non-pro Version 2.0.  With the "Photos-App" which you already have on your i-devices you can apply basic changements for your DNG-photos, though I didn't find I way yet  to transform them  to JPG. (May be it works if you export the photos by mail).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark II said:

Of course, if the M11 were to introduce a subscription cost *per photo* - say 25 cents per shot - some people would probably laud it as a meaningful return to the days of shooting film 😉

Not sure it works for a tethering app though...

Fox Talbot thought he would get copyright fees on all Calotypes, but he ended up having to throw in the towel. The French on the other hand gave away the Daguerreotype copyright free of charge. What comes around.......etc.

William

• Like 1

I  have just searched for Fotos 2 app on my iPad today (Nov 22) and nothing found. I have found Fotos for iPad, which I wonder if it is the same thing. It says will include in-app purchases, which as an owner/purchaser of many Leica cameras and lenses, strikes me as iniquitous and could be the definition of gouging. I think I am correct in saying that no other camera maker (of far cheaper cameras) charges for their dedicated software. 

How to alienate your customer base in one easy lesson. It makes me tempted to buy a Panasonic S1R. 

Wilson

Is the BTLE pairing-driven connection more reliable in 2.0 than before?  Does the GPS location from your iPhone get to the Q2?  Those are key upgrades in the 2.0 version.  They work just fine in the Lumix equivalent ("Synch") to FOTOS for the S1 and S1R.  I think we should hold Leica responsible for offering at least what Panasonic can do,. Complaints if they screw it up are quite justified.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1