Leica Fotos (Pro) {merged}

Matsaly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

38 minutes ago, caissa said:

What is the added value of the pro version ?  If it is only the connection to LR, should that not be included with a 6000$ product ?   (Is this clever marketing ?)

Having an Adobe CC subscription I cant tell if fotos links to LR because of the Adobe subscription OR the Fotos pro subscription. 

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Fotos Pro {merged}
13 minutes ago, snooper said:

On the EU app store there is no update as well, but if you go to Leica.com and search « fotos » you ll see a link to version 2.0. 

Yes, there is a link but only for information about Fotos - no download link as far as I can see.  Maybe the App Store will catch up tomorrow.

1 hour ago, caissa said:

What is the added value of the pro version ?  If it is only the connection to LR, should that not be included with a 6000$ product ?   (Is this clever marketing ?)

Sadly it seems that the only added value or this 2.0 version is the ability to upload DNG files to the iPad. The free version would allow you to upload only the jpg?

If this is confirmed it's not nice. Besides, a simple usb C card reader plugged into the iPad to import directly into LR does the job much better, considering the time it takes for the app to pair up with the camera wifi...Therefore I can't believe this would be THE feature invoiced 50€ per year.  

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

The point is that the app is part of the camera functionality. You paid for the camera, you should not have to pay for extra parts of the package. Just imagine the howls of outrage if Leica made us pay for firmware updates, for instance.

You pay extra for features like LR integration and editing. There's a free version as well and works like before (you can use it for downloading images off your camera or as a remote).

I don't get the fuzz in this thread.

• Like 1

I've just seen the official announcement: you have to register for the free version, and you must pay if you want to download raw.

I won't be even downloading it. I've already given up on the current version because of connectivity problems.

Now I won't be able to do what the previous version could only do badly - use my phone to upload DNGs to LR, sync to the cloud and post on social media from an integrated catalogue.

I could understand charging for what might be seen as 'extra' features, like direct integration with LR, but this is a retrograde step.

Leica has just lost a bit of my goodwill.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I've just seen the official announcement: you have to register for the free version, and you must pay if you want to download raw.

I won't be even downloading it. I've already given up on the current version because of connectivity problems.

Now I won't be able to do what the previous version could only do badly - use my phone to upload DNGs to LR, sync to the cloud and post on social media from an integrated catalogue.

I could understand charging for what might be seen as 'extra' features, like direct integration with LR, but this is a retrograde step.

Leica has just lost a bit of my goodwill.

Leica have just contacted me and asked me to pass you a message –

They tell me they don't give a rats arse about your goodwill.

– Message ends

Edited by marcg
  • Haha 4

… and just to add my voice to the majority of people here, to pay £6000 for a camera plus thousands more for lenses and then to be asked for £50 a year for some basic software is really beyond the pale.

The camera comes equipped with certain Wi-Fi/connectivity functionality and when the camera was sold it was never implied or expressed that it would cost extra to use the functionality.

We have paid for the functionality within the camera and now Leica are introducing a tax on its normal use. This really amounts to spitting in the face of all their loyal customers

• Like 1

I would be willing to pay for GPS data from the iPhone recorded in the camera’s exif file. That would be an excellent asset for those of us who travel often. Without that, Foto Pro doesn’t really aide my workflow. 

And it is not about the amount - although it is excessive for  a simple app- but about the principle. Plus the obligation to register - what does Leica want with my data?

I'll just dig up the card reader for my iPhone. I think that I know where it is ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjj said:

I was surprised (actually I shouldn't be) that the new Pro mobile app charges nearly £50 a year - surely core functionality like this should be included in the ticket price of the camera? Oh, and there's no MacOS version either yet. I personally think that's a rich price and a poor choice by Leica. Anyone used it yet? 

The New version should be faster and more stable. Well it isn’t. Connection brakes up, preview is slow, download takes ages to start and brakes up after the first pictures. They are now playing around for over year and don’t get it to run properly. Think you can safe the money. After what you pay for the camera they want to charge you for an app that does not work. More arrogance is not possible!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

And it is not about the amount - although it is excessive for  a simple app- but about the principle.

The problem is that it seems that Leica's principles are rather different from the principles of their customers

Edited by marcg
  • Like 1

Seems ludicrous. I could never get FOTOS to work with my M10, but then I could never find any reason to use such apps other than for selfies which I don't do. Now they want to charge for a 'supercharged' version of something that has not worked and does not appear to serve any purpose. Also 40+ Mp images will be painfully slow to load to a mobile device as at least one member here has already found. Has Leica AG not heard of market research? In the era for cameras that we are now entering communications functions need to be built into the cameras themselves and be part of the overall cost of the cameras.

I won't mention the additional cost aspect as enough people have already mentioned it. I hope that Leica takes a sensible second look at this sure fired failure. 

William

Just now, willeica said:

I won't mention the additional cost aspect as enough people have already mentioned it. I hope that Leica takes a sensible second look at this sure fired failure.

The bean counters have won over the Leica spirit once again 😡 And Leica's reputation takes the hit. Don't they have a marketing department that makes it clear that this kind of thing only leads to trouble?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Fotos (Pro) {merged}