Leica Fotos (Pro) {merged}

Matsaly

Glad they're releasing an update that take advantage of the iPad instead of having to scale the iPhone version.

I really hope they focus on connection reliability, which is a nightmare right now. It seems like every time I go to connect I fight with getting the camera and phone to connect and then resort to just pulling out a card reader.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mogoforest said:

Appears they want to start charging for a "pro" version - and no mention of GPS at all

You are stoking my cynicism with Leica. I hope the Fotos 2.0 software is not just a callous attempt to rake in profits off of an upgrade to an alleged "Pro version". Let's hope that there are meaningful improvements/enhancements to the upcoming release.

45 minutes ago, Omegahalo@gmail.com said:

Glad they're releasing an update that take advantage of the iPad instead of having to scale the iPhone version.

I really hope they focus on connection reliability, which is a nightmare right now. It seems like every time I go to connect I fight with getting the camera and phone to connect and then resort to just pulling out a card reader.

I'm glad they are making an iPad version but wonder how useful/practical  that will be in the field. I can see its usefulness whilst sitting in a cafe sorting photos or back in a hotel room editing the daily shoot, but I am not likely to drag around an iPad. 

One of the reasons I bought both Q-P and Q2 was to be able to take HQ pictures without all the encumbrances of lugging around lots of gear, assorted lenses, etc.

I think it's safe to say that most users carry a smartphone around with them at all times so I hope they fix the connection bugs. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very, very concerned in what I see in the 2.0 announcement.  It looks like they want to become the primary tool for not just interacting with your camera, but also interacting with and editing your photos.  Let’s just say they don’t have a strong history of software development.  Compete with Adobe for my subscription dollars?  They are a long way from that.  And their struggles with the 1.0 version of the software don’t inspire confidence.  I would much rather they work on the camera interaction aspects and skip the photo editing and social aspects till they nail the hardware integration.  

• Like 3

Yikes! Pro for Raw transfer I hope not.

“Leica is taking a two-tiered approach for Fotos 2.0, which is the version you'll use with the SL2. There's a free version available, and it does cover the basics—wireless transfer for JPG images and videos, as well as remote control.

There's also a Pro version of the app, priced at $49.99 annually. It adds some more advanced features, including Raw transfer support, Lightroom Mobile integration, and a better experience when using it on an iPad Pro. The Pro is exclusive to iPadOS.”

Source

My understanding is that a yearly licence for Lightroom CC is included in the Pro Fotos fee:

Edit your images fast and comfortable like never before thanks to a unique innovation: the seamless integration of Adobe Lightroom CC straight into the app.

It does not say anywhere you'd also have to pay for LR CC.

So for whoever does not have a creative cloud subscription it could be of some interest, depending on the cloud space included. On another hand, I doubt many SL2 users are not already CC subscribers... 🤔

But let's not shout before it hurts, my wise grandma used to say 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised (actually I shouldn't be) that the new Pro mobile app charges nearly £50 a year - surely core functionality like this should be included in the ticket price of the camera? Oh, and there's no MacOS version either yet. I personally think that's a rich price and a poor choice by Leica. Anyone used it yet? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Haven't my cameras nearby right now, but downloaded the updated app.

So, are you telling me they removed the option to download DNG's ...and put it in a Pro-version, that you have to buy?

I have the M10 and Q2, one would think the Pro app would be included in the price of at least one of the cameras.  😅

• Like 1

The connection to the camera wifi seems to take the same time but the thumbnail browser seems smoother and quicker. I can share an image via airdrop to my desktop (which is what I usually do to get the images off the camera) and I can download a DNG to the app. There's a new Lightroom button but after a 7 day trial it's £48.99 for a year to use the Pro functions. I don't know what else it does for the money - video (I have an M10-P so no video for me anyway), and an iPad app?  I won't be activating it. 

• Like 1

So I'll get the SL2 only in the afternoon, but started to play with Fotos new version, with only the Q2 available to test drive the app.

So far not much changes from the previous version, maybe it will be different with the SL2. I activated the subscription (you get 7 days trial).

Did you find any improvements on your side ?

It took about 35 secs to download a single raw file from the camera. Indeed, once in the gallery you do have access to LR straight from the app.

Once modified in LR, the selected photo does not come back to Fotos native gallery... Let's say I did not find the way to do this. So the gallery is like a buffer zone where your shots are accessible without the camera, but will remain "as shot". Unless I'm mistaking of course.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by snooper

5 minutes ago, rjj said:

The connection to the camera wifi seems to take the same time but the thumbnail browser seems smoother and quicker. I can share an image via airdrop to my desktop (which is what I usually do to get the images off the camera) and I can download a DNG to the app. There's a new Lightroom button but after a 7 day trial it's £48.99 for a year to use the Pro functions. I don't know what else it does for the money - video (I have an M10-P so no video for me anyway), and an iPad app?  I won't be activating it. 

To be clear - it's possible to download the DNG without the Pro subscription?

Daviden, yes I have been able to download a shot to my iPhone - and it's showing up in the Fotos app as DNG, and the image shows up in my Photos library. When I go to my Lightroom mobile app, I can find the image there, labelled as DNG and it's fully editable. I assume we keep the functionality of the previous Fotos version without upgrading to Pro - I haven't activated the free trial yet. 

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Fotos (Pro) {merged}