Where did i go wrong? Ektar 100

miguelmolez

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm trying to wonder where I went wrong here. I'm guessing I should have over exposed one stop maybe? 

Is this just under exposure?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

24 minutes ago, adan said:

From the image you posted - more like 2-3 stops more exposure is needed.

Which camera type, and how did you meter the exposure?

It was my M6 (which I've now sold) I used the internal meter.

I've just purchased an M4 and intend to use an iphone app based meter. I'm hoping i have made the right choice now haha. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, miguelmolez said:

It was my M6 (which I've now sold) I used the internal meter.

I've just purchased an M4 and intend to use an iphone app based meter. I'm hoping i have made the right choice now haha. 

Expose for the shadows and you'll be fine.  Your example looks as though it was metered for the sky and underexposed your subjects.

13 hours ago, Doc Henry said:

All the roll is like that ?

Rg H 

Most were yes, A couple turned out actually OK. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I checked 2 phone exposure meters against my Luna Pro (has a new battery) and they all failed, way off. They were BeeCam Lightmeter and Lightmeter. BeeCam was the closer one, but I am not sure I would trust it as my light meter. I ended up buying a Gossen Scout 3, small inexpensive selenium meter, I had used an earlier model when I had M2s. The Luna Pro is close to the size of my M3.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

For pictures in the sun, I always do a mental reference against Sunny 16...if there's a match I trust my light meter in other situations...if there's a big discrepancy the light meter gets bagged and exposure is experience talking to me. I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with Sunny 16 as well brushing up on your overall metering technique...it should pay big dividends. It really sucks when you lose irreplaceable shots.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, spydrxx said:

.....It really sucks when you lose irreplaceable shots.

If thats’s the case, then it’s maybe best not to mention ‘sunny 16’ and  ‘irreplaceable shots’ in the same post.

Ektar isn’t the best choice for portraits or sunny 16. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

If thats’s the case, then it’s maybe best not to mention ‘sunny 16’ and  ‘irreplaceable shots’ in the same post.

Ektar isn’t the best choice for portraits or sunny 16. 

If you have a lot of sunny 16 experience and a good eye AND know your film's characteristics, it can be every good as the best meter. I spent a couple of years guessing what the sunny 16 exposure would be in lots of situations  then metering to see how close I was...got it down pat for my films and the situations I photograph and rarely take a meter these days.

• Like 1

Looks underexposed. But irritating is the greenish cast in the shawodws. Could it be, that this film got x-rayed somewhere? How it got developed?
My M6 always underexpose negative film* if I choose the original ASA value from the film. I set the ASA 1/3 below and also messure on the shadows.

*Might be perfect for slide film.

Ektar 100 is an amazing film, I love its results for portraits. Looking over my Ektar portraits I really don’t know why people struggle with it? Beautiful, delicate skin tones.

I always use my built-in lightmeter (in other words, my eyes) and pictures look great. In lower light levels I do sometimes pull out the Sekonic 208 to double check my estimate as I’ve learnt that that is where an incident meter is useful.

All taken with one of my M3’s. I also develop the Ektar myself using a Jobo ATL and scan with a Pakon. I have also printed a small number of Ektar frames in the darkroom, just gorgeous results (RA-4). Maybe somewhere in that mix is the key to consistent great results from Ektar?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jmahto said:

I use myLightMeter app on iPhone and Gossen digisix. Both match and are excellent even for slides. 

LightMeter on my LG V20 is so far off it is ridiculous, 5 or 6 stops, maybe the app is better on an IPhone. Haven't seen any way to calibrate it. If it works for you that is what counts. But don't just download it and assume it will work on an android. 

22 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

LightMeter on my LG V20 is so far off it is ridiculous, 5 or 6 stops, maybe the app is better on an IPhone. Haven't seen any way to calibrate it. If it works for you that is what counts. But don't just download it and assume it will work on an android. 

I am sure there maybe other apps too. In any case, my “serious” light meter is digisix since 1) it is small and light, 2) it is cheap enough and 3) it has incident light meter. Since I don’t use flash, this is good enough for me. I have even dropped it in water, picked it up, dried it and it worked fine. I was lucky I guess (it is not water proof, be warned). I will buy another one in a heart beat. 

Edited by jmahto