Humble pie on the S1

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I finally had a good test of the S1, and its a terrific pro level camera

The EVF, build quality and lack of AA filter is divine

So now I am in a quandry. S1, FP or wait a few years and get a second hand SL2 ;)

The fact that there isn't a plug in EVF for the FP is so disappointing. Hopefully Sigma will produce one. However the focus and tracking on the S1 seems superior and of course the buttons generally

Interesting to see how the sales go after a year

Anyone using their S1 more then their SL ?

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, colonel said:

So I finally had a good test of the S1, and its a terrific pro level camera

The EVF, build quality and lack of AA filter is divine

So now I am in a quandry. S1, FP or wait a few years and get a second hand SL2 ;)

The fact that there isn't a plug in EVF for the FP is so disappointing. Hopefully Sigma will produce one. However the focus and tracking on the S1 seems superior and of course the buttons generally

Interesting to see how the sales go after a year

Anyone using their S1 more then their SL ?

From my perspective the Sigma FP is an "also" rather than "instead" option. It is a completely different form factor, weighing less than half of the SL in a much smaller footprint. The lack of EVF makes it more difficult to frame and focus in bright daylight conditions. The optical viewfinder is interesting and adds little weight, but doubles the size of the camera. Perhaps a dedicated viewfinder will become available in the future. Personally, I would prefer a bright and contrasty OLED rear screen. I have no autofocus SL glass. After having it for a week, I find it gives good results with M and R manual focus lenses. It starts up and responds to touch very quickly. The best thing for me is how easy it is to slip over the shoulder and carry on a long walk or hike. I love my SL, but found myself deciding not to shlep it unless I had a particular shoot on the agenda. Just my .02!

• Like 2